Strands?

Discussions about migration to other software
Cutman

Re: Strands?

Post by Cutman » 15 Apr 2014, 10:02

Mathaeus wrote: Well, with all due respect to your optimism, I'd be free to put it into something like 'partially possible', nothing perfectly, nothing robust. Don't get me wrong, but someonee will try to compare the performance of that python script and ICE or Houdini live operator. Someone will try to render this into some of built-in C4d renderers, using motion blur, figuring out that there is no anything between old-school subframe sampling, and slow path-tracer. Someone will try to install 3Delight in C4d, figuring out that hair isn't supported at all. This pic is V-Ray render, isn't it.
Again don't get me wrong, but, I think it will be much better to go with 'easy to use' route while advertising C4d here, really not by comparing the possibility or performance.
NNois wrote:
Hi,
I appreciate your efforts but in just putting the things in theire places, i'm sorry your example describe perfectly why i wouldn't ever use C4D, there is workarounds everywhere, cheats, etc. And it's a destructive workflow ...
Well, Yader was actually correct all of the examples in the thread can be easily done in C4D in various ways and parametrically.

The wool example is rendered in C4D's native renderer, VRayforC4D also supports hair BTW and interfaces well. I do not use 3Delight but would assume hair could be rendered if the user generated hair polygons.

It's quite wrong to think C4D offers "easy to use" route when in fact if you were to look you'd find that it may contain the functionality you require and may be better than the other options in the AD stable and for some people a better home than Houdini. I appreciate C4D is not XSI and has a performance deficit in some areas but there's a great deal of overlap in the types of jobs that are undertaken and is a viable tool.

Yader is one of the most knowledgeable C4D users I've ever come across and regularly puts out quick tips that amaze with his left field thinking and his profound knowledge of C4D. So instead of being condescending and batting him away a better action maybe to engage him and maybe you'll find that C4D does even more than you thought possible. I'd be much more inclined to listen to Yader than the Maxon sales team who've descended on the Cinema 4D thread.

As I wrote in the Cinema 4D thread, it may not be suitable for the very high end work and some XSI users will find a natural home in Houdini but C4D remains a viable tool for a heck of a lot of projects and users.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 15 Apr 2014, 16:23

Cutman wrote: The wool example is rendered in C4D's native renderer, VRayforC4D also supports hair BTW and interfaces well. I do not use 3Delight but would assume hair could be rendered if the user generated hair polygons.
Now I have impression, that you never ever used any Renderman compliant to render hairs. Personally, I still fill shocked by limitations of C4d built in renderer and material manager - from sampled motion blur, impossible to do ordinary gloss map, one UV per one material. On the other side, the fact that all this is 'enough good' for some people, make me somehow happy. If majority of users don't care that much for improvements of their 3d app, I don't need to care of this 3d app at all. All good.
Long live Modo in this category of 3d app, they are at least able to do the decent renderer.

Cutman

Post by Cutman » 15 Apr 2014, 16:41

Mathaeus wrote:
Cutman wrote: The wool example is rendered in C4D's native renderer, VRayforC4D also supports hair BTW and interfaces well. I do not use 3Delight but would assume hair could be rendered if the user generated hair polygons.
Now I have impression, that you never ever used any Renderman compliant to render hairs. Personally, I still fill shocked by limitations of C4d built in renderer and material manager - from sampled motion blur, impossible to do ordinary gloss map, one UV per one material. On the other side, the fact that all this is 'enough good' for some people, make me somehow happy. If majority of users don't care that much for improvements of their 3d app, I don't need to care of this 3d app at all. All good.
Long live Modo in this category of 3d app, they are at least able to do the decent renderer.
Oh, I get it you're only interested in scoring points and not really interested in what C4D can do or not do.

Good luck with getting work done in Modo BTW, the most unstable of all 3D applications. Makes me somehow happy that I use C4D because I knock out work to happy clients who pay me more than the London Soho VFX sweatshops. Indeed, all good.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 16 Apr 2014, 00:39

Arbitrary UV is a pretty much standard demand in game dev. Glossiness map, you'll find it in every second tutorial about skin shading. I'm pretty sure, both will not be hard to implement in Cinema. As well as full hemisphere environment look-up when it comes to AO, instead of single ray. Environment map sampled by shader, instead of plain blurring, too. Reflective occlusion, too. IF users were asked during all these years - but they didn't asked, maybe they even don't know, for standard stuff I've used in Softimage since 2004, and I'll do in Maya.
Every developer on planet, could create a stable app, if that developer is allowed to set a limit everywhere he want, once the all user base belongs to loyal individuals, so happy with 'what it can do'.

reberhart

Post by reberhart » 16 Apr 2014, 02:07

I've found trying to explain game dev workflow to Cinema 4D users pretty much a lost cause. They'll tell you to bake from high to low you just need to use similar UV layouts on your low and high. I should never, ever, under any circumstances have to UV my high poly to bake normals. In the other thread they're going on about how cool it is to retopo in Cinema 4D. What's the point if the software won't let you bake from the high to that new topo? Mind boggling. It's obvious why there are virtually no game studios using Cinema 4D. They just don't understand that market.

Draise

Post by Draise » 16 Apr 2014, 08:50

Yikes, this got nasty fast...

reberhart

Post by reberhart » 16 Apr 2014, 17:17

Sorry. Used to use Cinema 4D years ago. After much frustration, stopped renewing my license. Cinema 4D is excellent software for some things. Game development is not one of those things. No big deal. Can't please everyone and it makes sense to cater your software to your core audience.

Roger