BookScatter

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Book ShelvesAuthor: various
Spawned by the 3DSMax BookScatter plugin by Mourelas Konstantinos, the thread linked below from si-community's Community Projects forum features some interesting approaches of generating/simulating a bookshelf by multiple authors.

Authors involved so far: caledonian_tartan, Piotrek Marczak and Anto Matkovic.

local backup: bookshelves.zip

Mathaeus

Re: BookScatter

Post by Mathaeus » 17 Sep 2012, 22:29

origin wrote:yes, but it's not possible (?) to get data from .shape attribute (maybe with custom node?)
(when you try to make user-friendly compound, with only shape attribute exposed)
or when you put a group in instance shape node, you can't retrieve group id of object.
I hope I make sense with my pseudo english
I know you know :) that group contains array of whatever attribute exists on all members. So, if all members of group have ICE tree which calculates bbox and sets it as custom attribute, it's possible to assign this to particles in point cloud, created by same pattern. self.ID> select in array and so. But doesn't seem to be so stable, at least in my experience.

iamVFX

Re: BookScatter

Post by iamVFX » 17 Sep 2012, 22:32

origin wrote:yes, but it's not possible (?) to get data from .shape attribute (maybe with custom node?)
(when you try to make user-friendly compound, with only shape attribute exposed)
or when you put a group in instance shape node, you can't retrieve group id of object.
When you selecting a group in instance shape node you still need to provide id of the object for each of the particle. Sure, you should also provide the name of the group for a compound, it is an ice limitation, user should deal with it, because it is nesssecary for selecting the object from the group array to get bounding box information.
origin wrote:I hope I make sense with my pseudo english
Look at my messages, I make mistakes all over the place and sadly nobody even corrects me :Р
Mathaeus wrote:that group contains array of whatever attribute exists on all members. So, if all members of group have ICE tree which calculates bbox and sets it as custom attribute, it's possible to assign this to particles in point cloud, created by same pattern. self.ID> select in array and so.
Exactly. Basically when you referencing a group name in Get Data node you get an array of attributes of its objects which matches the id of particles, if the same group was selected as an instance group