community ice projects

milanvasek

Re: community ice projects

Post by milanvasek » 15 Dec 2011, 10:51

please, can someone make Extrude polygon along curve in ICE? :)
Milan Vasek
ceramic artist & softimage fan
http://www.milanvasek.com

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 15 Dec 2011, 13:50

will this do?

Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

milanvasek

Post by milanvasek » 15 Dec 2011, 14:19

nope. Power extrude is amazing tool for extruding curves along curves, but what i need is to select some polygons in ICE and extrude them along curve... (there is only Apply Extrude Polygon compound or something like that at the moment, but that one lets you extrude only along normal)
Milan Vasek
ceramic artist & softimage fan
http://www.milanvasek.com

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 15 Dec 2011, 14:29

milanvasek wrote:please, can someone make Extrude polygon along curve in ICE? :)
Yes, that would be handy.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 15 Dec 2011, 16:37

My suggestion: someone start a "Extrude polygon along curve" thread...
(by which I mean to say: I won't, I'm merely a moderator...) ;)

We keep this thread running to establish "our" next move (or even one to start in parallel).

PS By which I don't want to discount rray's idea, BTW...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

rray

Post by rray » 15 Dec 2011, 18:08

You didn't ! This would've been too big. ICE modeling is a great idea.
ICE version of the "extrude polygons along curve" op would be the right amount of work and could obviously be used for some cool effects.
With this I think it would possible to cheat though (just use existing ICE extrude compound to create the topo and make the rest a ICE deform)
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Memag

Post by Memag » 15 Dec 2011, 22:45

"Bridge polygon" would be nice as well.
Something like this, eh? Eh!? :D
The Bridge tool will create polygons to bridge the area between selected edges or polygons. There are several options for the Bridge tool including the number of segments, a twist amount, interpolation mode (Linear, Curve, Smooth), and options to remove the original polygons and/or flip the new polygons.

Segments: The segments option allows you to set the number of polygons that are created to the bridge. This value can be set interactively by dragging in the 3D viewport while the tool is active, or numerically on the tool properties form.

Twist: The twist value is used when bridging polygon selections. When the value is set to a non-zero number it will turn the bridge polygons between the original connection points. This is very useful in cleaning up bridges between disparate polygon selections where the bridge can become overlapped. In that case using the Twist value will often allow you to "untangle" the bridge manually.

Mode (Linear, Curve, Smooth): This popup provides a simple method for setting the interpolation style of the generated bridge polygons. Linear will create a bridge in a straight line between the original selection. Curve will create an arc between the original selection points. Smooth creates an "ease in/ease out" blend between the original selection sections.

Remove Polygons: This will remove the originally selected polygons used to create the bridge. This is on by default and is the most often preferred behavior.

Flip Polygons: When activated this option will flip the normals of the newly created polygons in the bridge.

Tension: This percentage value provides some additional control over the bridge path used when the Curve mode is active. Increasing this value will accentuate the curved effect and decreasing it will mute the effect toward the linear path.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 16 Dec 2011, 11:14

Always a nice idea to add, who or what you are quoting...

edit: After a quick search: I'm guessing this comes from the Modo help... ;)

Memag

Post by Memag » 16 Dec 2011, 14:44

Yep, MODO bridge tool.
Nothing wrong with it.

fjg

Post by fjg » 16 Dec 2011, 20:38

These ideas might be too specific (or too large a task), but just to get them in the mix - how about ICE for character stuff?

1) An ICE based rigging suite - something that has the basic arm/leg/torso/head/face primitives, but also tools for creature/monster attributes like tentacles (octopus, 'abyss' style), dragon/bat wings, horns, etc. In short, anything that needs to have dynamics as well as animation controls...

or

2) Further existing ICE tools/compounds - like KH3 or Melena (both awesome already) - and making dynamics more accessible for them, add styling like dreadlocks, fur controls (like like on-surface curves), polygon volume styling like hair-farm. I've never used hair farm but it looks like its styling is straight forward since it uses common box modeling techniques.

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 20 Dec 2011, 01:14

Since nobody starte a thread like Hirazi suggested I want to encourage Memag to open a thread regarding the Bridge tool, as you already seem to have a good idea of what the tool should do. I would encourage you to put all the details in (all features that should be supported and theyre expected behaviour). Who knows, if you have the time, a little video from the modo bridge tool would help ilustrating the features.
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

fjg

Post by fjg » 25 Dec 2011, 19:06

ICE-able?

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 27 Dec 2011, 12:45

@fjg - apart from the fact that it makes heavy use of Maya Paint Effects and it wouldn't be possible AFAIK with the regular XSI Hair as this still isn't accessible through ICE, creating something like this for the current ICE Hair solutions (Kristinka and/or Melena) might be interesting...

@all - speaking explicitly as a mere user for once, not as an administrator, I think we have to rethink our general approach to the ICE community projects slightly. The way it's going now, I personally don't feel a lot of motivation to chime in & other than that it has results in nice compounds (which is obviously a good thing) I was hoping at least to learn more from these projects, even if I wasn't actually able to participate more actively. More screenshots, more explanations of the "how did I do this"-kind and such...
;)

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 27 Dec 2011, 17:25

If we can find something that at least 2 people want to solve, make or ping pong ideas about, then it will work.
I'm poised to join in, but not that interested in motion graphics and quite particular about making modelling tools. Nothing has come up that I'm that interested in doing.
If however, the project were to make a tree generator, or cool 2d image processing tools like a really solid tracker in ICE , then id dive in, but those things might not interest others.

Chris_TC

Post by Chris_TC » 27 Dec 2011, 18:58

Pooby wrote:or cool 2d image processing tools like a really solid tracker in ICE , then id dive in, but those things might not interest others.
While insanely interesting, I think it's a bit premature at this point. I've watched your videos with great fascination, and as always you're doing some amazing stuff. But I think that ultimately we'll receive the ability to do ICE image manipulation out of the box, i.e. working directly with pixels and clips.
With ICE topology already exposed, it's the next logical step, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it in 2013. ICE may even replace the FX tree. Or mate with it in sexy ways.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 08 Jan 2012, 12:07

Does anyone have any (preferably great) ideas to reactivate this subforum? /:)