Is the CAP still going anywhere?

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Is the CAP still going anywhere?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 23 Jun 2010, 22:43

It's been awfully quiet here lately. So to the CAPtains:
What are your plans with the CAP (for the near future)?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

redmotion

Re: Is the CAP still going anywhere?

Post by redmotion » 24 Jun 2010, 11:52

Sorry, but...

IMO It's painfully obvious that noone here is going to come up with the goods in regards to conceptual artwork so in my opinion we need to go beyond these walls to some famous concept art hangouts to invite members to contribute.

I'm no concept artist - I used to dabble in it but not any more! So don't expect me to come up with anything! And anyway, I like collaboration (being the whole point of this project) and I can be far more enthusiastic about say, modelling the 3d version of a 2d concept by someone else.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 24 Jun 2010, 12:02

That's fine by me...
As long as the CAP is still alive...
I assume, the work resumes "here" after the concepts are in?
Keep us updated... ;)

Diurno

Post by Diurno » 30 Jun 2010, 10:22

well, as I said a while ago, today is my last working job; now i'm only busy at planning my move to London. So i'm here to help.

opentarget

Post by opentarget » 14 Jul 2010, 16:52

what i feel about the project is that Its a great idea, some people are interested and all that....but the last thing i posted was some concept drawings of my own(not very good but an effort at least) and notes on some other peoples work and not a single bit of feedback or discussion was spawned as a result...im very interested in keeping it going but i feel like we hit a wall every time we make a baby step of progress. so what are the thoughts of everyone else on here?

pBarrelas

Post by pBarrelas » 17 Jul 2010, 20:43

I'd like to participate if the CAP is still alive!

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 23 Aug 2010, 13:00

Well, it's been more than a month since pBarrelas showed his interest to participate,
which didn't provoke any kind of reaction from the CAPtains of this project.
I now have to assume this project has sadly, finally, utterly and totally died...
I've locked all threads except this one, in case I am wrong... x_x
edit: I've unlocked all threads again, see following post!

redmotion

Post by redmotion » 25 Aug 2010, 15:31

He pm'ed me about 10 days ago and I told him that its not dead ....yet.

The main issue for me is time. I have a wife and kid who are getting (as they should be) most of my attention. After that there's real-work and then Black Mesa. Unfortunately, the CAP sits below all these, so I've only managed to semi-write a post which requests a dialogue (about the CAP) with the heads of the concept art forum we or I choose. (I think I wrote it in July... :-/ )

Then its the forum set up:
It would be tempting to delete all the threads about the CAP (or consign them to a forum section which only a selected few can access - it would at least mean we could discuss things moving forward confidentially as the PM system in my opinion isn't a good way of tracking what's been agreed or discussed) and re-start it simultaneously with a wider announcement at concept art and other forums.

Then its the feel of the project:
Lastly, opentarget wants a different feel to the film than me. I want it plain funny. He wants it darker and bloodier. It can't be both. I don't think we can both be in charge as our ideas will be in conflict. Any project needs to be TOTALLY focused about it's direction.

BTW: I think the main character should look very geeky (short, round with fangs).

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 25 Aug 2010, 16:26

Thanks for your quick reply, I was really starting to wonder... i-)
While I am obviously merely involved as a moderator in this little project,
I really think, there is no need for any kind of hidden forum.
The beauty of a community project is IMHO it's open nature,
which could/should lure more people in eventually also.
And the problem concerning the style of the short could/should be put to a simple vote, I'm afraid.
;)

pBarrelas

Post by pBarrelas » 25 Aug 2010, 17:41

I have to agree with redmotion on several things, even though I'm not involved on the projet. In a few months we'll have a baby girl and family should come first of anything else.

I also agree with a close forum for the project, at least until a certain development stage. Anyone who'd like to know more about the forum, should have access to "controlled" information about it to be sufficient enough to make a decision about participating or not.

I also agree with redmotion regarding the feel and look of the project, but when we have two approaches to a project that will cause loss of motivation to some elements of the team, due to not feeling identified with the project after a poll deciding the direction to take, that won't work IMHO.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 25 Aug 2010, 18:07

So basically what you're saying is:
it shouldn't be open/public and it shouldn't be democratic.
Well that effectively rules out a community project IMHO.
A collaborative project, maybe, but not really a community project...

pBarrelas

Post by pBarrelas » 25 Aug 2010, 21:55

I guess there is a misinterpretation here.
I said that deciding stuff through a a pool isn't the right way.Things are more complex than that.

The project is still open. I never said that it should be closed. What I said that the information should be filtered in a way that it would help people to decide to enter or not based on that. I have to admit that the way the threads on the CAP are (de)organized, it doesn't help people to get to know the project.

redmotion

Post by redmotion » 26 Aug 2010, 14:20

Its "community"-made because a community will make it, not because its "democratic". We've an idea and a script. We need concepts to define the look, storyboards and we are off.

As soon as we have got the concepts (and maybe storyboards) and we are all happy with them, we could scrap all these threads and lay out plain and simple in one locked thread the precise aim of the project.

I suggested a closed forum because while this first part is done I could foresee some politics creeping in. If the leads are arguing about what something should be, that needs to be private. If you're not happy with this, then we'll have to rethink the approach.

So I'm wondering whether we should both request some concepts for characters in concept art forums. Perhaps for both ideas and see which one looks the most inspiring, interesting, funny, moody, whatever. I'll try to get something together for my look and opentarget can get something together for his. And we'll let the community decide which direction to take with a vote.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 03 Oct 2010, 12:17

At the risk of sounding "hysterical" here:
Sorry, but are there or will there ever be any more updates on the CAP?
If you look at the dates of this thread alone and consider the fact that one of the designated CAPs hasn't even been active in this community for over two months now, this project doesn't really even seem to pretend anymore, that it's going somewhere...

You don't have to post entire progress journal, but snippets of "hey, the project is still breathing" would be nice, once in a while (and by "once in a while" I mean a little more frequent than the current updates, that only seem to follow me explicitly asking for one...)
:-?