ice hair style

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Braid SetupAuthor: Anto Matkovic
Quote from the forum thread (see link section below): Here is typical rope braids ICE setup, if anyone is interested. I've used strand extrusions from Melena to get polygons. Added a 'manual' setup with clones too, one yarn is enough to define the pattern - should be interesting modeling exercise.

local backup: rope3yarns.emdl (drag and drop from netview)

Here you can find ICE tutorials and learning material
anhungxadieu

ice hair style

Post by anhungxadieu » 18 Sep 2016, 18:03

hi there,

i wonder how i can create an hair style like this image?
:-\
thank for any idea
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/369647081895787552/

Draise

Re: ice hair style

Post by Draise » 18 Sep 2016, 20:16

Anto Matkovic's Kritinka Hair ICE compounds should be able to do it? It's free.

Here

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 18 Sep 2016, 20:51

Yeah there is sample with braids, it's called 'follow nurbs lite'. Braids form is just a three manually modeled nurbs surfaces, strands are distributed along them. I think I've tried completely procedural way, first. While it is relatively easy to get a basic look of 'three yarns rope' using a basic math and ICE nodes, thing gets complicated when it comes to exact, tight nature distribution, so 'direct' modeling seems to be fastest way, imho. I've tweaked one poly cylinder for basic, 'remainder' pattern, cylinder was cloned two times and moved along length, then everything was cloned many times to get a final shape, at the end everything was merged, to get a nurbs loft from extracted curves.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 18 Sep 2016, 21:30

Here is one a bit more advanced for download, it's attempt to get French braids, or, actually it's inverted variance, more like Dutch braids. While I'm not sure is it a real pattern. Base shape is also 'direct' modeling, clones, merge, deform everything by nurbs surface, so on.

anhungxadieu

Post by anhungxadieu » 19 Sep 2016, 06:59

hi,
That what i'm looking for Thank you very much! :x
-but i still not clear about procedural way you are talking
-i saw in your scene i can animate the null but it really slow regarding hair, so there is a way to make it faster for animate?
-KH have a compound to form the hair by strand? or if not do i can conform the hair strand by another strand? just like my movie below

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 19 Sep 2016, 12:18

anhungxadieu wrote:hi,
-i saw in your scene i can animate the null but it really slow regarding hair, so there is a way to make it faster for animate?
-KH have a compound to form the hair by strand? or if not do i can conform the hair strand by another strand? just like my movie below
There are few 'follow' compounds, this time is some variance of one called 'follow nurbs'. This compound conforms ICE strands to NurbS surface. Nurbs surface is modeled (more or less) manual way, not procedural. There are several layers of evaluation here, from enveloped nurbs surface to final hair interpolation, no way to get all that into real-time, anywhere. As usually in apps like SI or Maya, you can always hide something, let's say entire ICE point cloud, leaving only Nurbs surface to evaluate.
For rest, if you want realistic hair braids, and generally to go into '3d braids business', I think the best way is to take look at some real braiding tutorial, like this one, just to figure out that, what takes five minutes for girl to create in reality, it could take days or weeks for 3d artist or TD.

P.S. I created this thing for static picture, rig is just for positioning, honestly don't know is it consistent through the frames. Most likely it's not. Please take this download only as inspiration.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 21 Sep 2016, 20:45

Awesome braids Mathaeus! ;;)
anhungxadieu wrote:hi,
I am also curious about Nguyen's approach, but if you want to wait a bit more, something with similar "strands from strands" setup is in the works (on spare time) & almost ready.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 21 Sep 2016, 23:15

Here is typical rope braids ICE setup, if anyone is interested. I've used strand extrusions from Melena to get polygons. Added a 'manual' setup with clones too, one yarn is enough to define the pattern - should be interesting modeling exercise.

rray

Post by rray » 16 Oct 2016, 22:00

Thanks for posting, this is useful. In V2015 (SP2), the first braid .emdl above doesn't work for me. Hair is emitted but then is not affected by the deform by NURBS ICE nodes. I wondered is this a known issue with this version of Softimage? I bumped into some weird things with the new releases when working on the "groomtools" plugin (but don't remember anything specific)
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 16 Oct 2016, 23:13

rray wrote:Thanks for posting, this is useful. In V2015 (SP2), the first braid .emdl above doesn't work for me. Hair is emitted but then is not affected by the deform by NURBS ICE nodes. I wondered is this a known issue with this version of Softimage? I bumped into some weird things with the new releases when working on the "groomtools" plugin (but don't remember anything specific)
Well, last feedback about some issue, belongs to problems with 'reinterpret location' node in SI 2015.
First setup (one with complete braids) is from 2012, but I don't believe that 'reinterpret location' is even used. It is a sort of kH 'no version', I think I've modified some of 'follow' compounds, but this shouldn't have a such strong consequence, I think.
Regarding spatial queries and Nurbs surfaces, there were issues all the time, like crash when ray-casting on very small distance - that's why kH is always using 'get closest location'.
Another issue is sort of irresponsible Nurbs surface to spatial query, happens after operations like Snip on Nurbs. Anyway this one happened even before ICE, with SI Shrink Wrap - so I believe ICE uses the same engine as Shrink Wrap.
Guides for braids are a bit unusual, linear degree, maybe there's something about this. In any case I think it worth to rebuild one nurbs surface and try again, also it worth to checkout the cutoff distance, maybe this was set to zero on load. Also, reconnect from newly created geo reference - there were issues with paths between versions.
Definitively it worth to save model as 2015 version, before any further work with it.