Muscle compound tutorial?

Here you can find ICE tutorials and learning material
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: Muscle compound tutorial?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 17 Feb 2014, 23:09

You are dangerously close to being deleted as a troll. Almost every post you made so far had some kind of insult in it and I won't stand for it.
Edit: I have reopened this thread (under probation).
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 17 Feb 2014, 23:59

Benzin wrote:@ Pooby

http://vimeopro.com/pooby/ice/video/43901251

http://vimeopro.com/pooby/ice/video/43913057

http://vimeopro.com/pooby/ice/video/47861620

Nice... another typical example of a useless "tutorial"... now why don't you show us how did you built those compounds, instead of twiddling around with that skeleton and spending about 45 seconds of a 15 minutes video in ICE tree... IF you want to show us? Otherwise, you may delete them (videos), because their educational value is equal to zero... nobody would miss them... but as a self-promotion tool... they are priceless.

But, never mind, on my front the first real problem appears, the "mechanical" parts are mostly done, by mostly I mean I just need to copy two more nulls and two more circles... now the question is how to create surface between the particles (after the famous spring formula) which I intent to create at position of circles points? Are NURBS surfaces supported in ICE? Polygonizer? Some other method?
That is not a tutorial, it's a demo. And have you not noticed that I've done many tutorials in ice and labelled them as such. What an appalling crime to have committed to also do some self promotion on Vimeo.
Although it must be frustrating for you to not have the ability to figure out how to do it for yourself, it's totally counterproductive to go around being rude to people who could have and would have been willing to help.
All you would have had to say is. That looks interesting. Sorry for being an absolute twat earlier in this thread. Would you mind letting me know how you did it please. But no. You went for the ...
"another typical example of a useless "tutorial"... now why don't you show us how did you built those compounds, instead of twiddling around with that skeleton and spending about 45 seconds of a 15 minutes video in ICE tree... IF you want to show us? Otherwise, you may delete them (videos), because their educational value is equal to zero... nobody would miss them..."
Approach. :)

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 18 Feb 2014, 02:26

I've messaged this person in private and am awaiting their response. Just an FYI for whoever else may feel this type of attitude is going to fly around here it's not. The admins are discussing how we are going to proceed and it's highly dependent on the reply we receive from this person. This is a shining example of how the the anonymity of forums can lead to these unpleasant and highly disrespectful interactions. When you don't have a real name to put to a user name you can say whatever you want with no repercussions.

I've asked this person for their background and experience as I'm interested in what has brought them to such a high standing point they can freely talk down to people they have never interacted with before. Truly mind boggling honestly.

The "why isn't anyone sharing their stuff for free?" is something I'm seeing more and more of these days. Not everything is free or should be free. If someone spends a lot of time developing a system the works really well, they should be rewarded by either being able to sell the setup / technology or keep it to themselves to make them worth more in the job market. It's that simple and it happens all of the time. That's why we're not all running the same setups as Pixar / ILM and have their technologies readily available.

I have experience with both giving away my tools for free and also selling a tool. They both take time and effort to support. Even the free ones. I still to this day get messages about install errors and messages for all of my free tools. I don't ignore the emails or turn them away saying it is free and you get no support. I still put my spare time into helping others out. Same with Species. It's a setup Chris and I worked on for over a year of version 1.0 development (spare time while still working full time) and continued dev & support through today. I'll never make back enough money for Species to cover the time I've put into it. The same can go for many other individuals who do the same. It's not free and even when it's free it still costs the person something.

Everyone needs to appreciate the fact there are tools that are shared and tools that aren't. Respect those who share and also those that don't. Many of those who do share have full time jobs and still manage to give to the community. Don't hate on those who can't or don't find it advantageous for themselves to do so.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 18 Feb 2014, 09:04

Thanks for taking the time and write those lines, Eric.
Last edited by Pancho on 18 Feb 2014, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 18 Feb 2014, 10:23

@Benzin - really? You're really having a go at the guy that's done more tutorials than anyone out there for ice, for free? You didn't see the 140 odd other videos he posted? Your sense of entitlement is astounding.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 18 Feb 2014, 11:21

Okay, we've voiced our indignation. Let's give Benzin a chance to return... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!