Blender 2.8 Industry standard keymap

New plugins, tools etc.
asil

Blender 2.8 Industry standard keymap

Post by asil » 17 Oct 2018, 08:32

Hi there

Maybe you do not know, but finally something good is happening in Blender waters. There is a plan to include Industry Standard Keymap in final Blender 2.8 release. Good guy Bill Reynish from Blender UI team is doing some research and I think it looks promising.

As I went through it, I've seen, discussion was strongly missing some Softimagist (if you want or not, we all are blessed by Softimage's sheer layout genius, and nothing better will be ever done), so I wrote quite big article about control logic, much inspired by Softimage (with examples), and several good things from Maya as well.

Take a look there, and maybe express some support, so Blender could finally start the way to become normal user friendly.

Here:
https://developer.blender.org/T54963

Marek

Draise

Re: Blender 2.8 Industry standard keymap

Post by Draise » 17 Oct 2018, 23:16

Really interesting their studies. Hope they implement it. I've been trying to help out Bforartists to get most of those standards going - each software is so different, it's hard to say what is standard. Their "Commonality" approach is nice though.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 18 Oct 2018, 20:28

Very good news.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 19 Oct 2018, 16:09

I'd be happy with ability to easy transfer the custom key map from old to new version - while some alphas of 2.8 already worked in that way, now I'm not sure is it a new feature or these alphas just used the old key map, somehow.
In any case, great to see that everyone in Blender world, community and developers, is feeling strong enough to be able to accept (let's say) the standards. So far away from old rebel attitude...

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 02 Nov 2018, 08:41

Thank you for taking the time to write such nice observations!! I'll comment more later.

nuverian

Post by nuverian » 25 Nov 2018, 21:25

I am waiting for this to go live. Blender 2.8 seems nice and more coherent, but everytime I open up it up it does not last more than 10 minutes before I close it due to it's currently obscured interaction.
Portfolio / Blog
http://www.nuverian.net