mc_axe

Softimage Wikia Official

Post by mc_axe » 29 Apr 2017, 18:39

Fresh attempt :-!
http://softimage.wikia.com

Welcome paragraph explains all.
Let me knwo what you think.

:)
Last edited by mc_axe on 02 May 2017, 22:14, edited 1 time in total.

Bullit

Re: Softimage Wikia Official

Post by Bullit » 01 May 2017, 20:52

Looks Ok.

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 01 May 2017, 23:55

It may have 170+ pages already but Im still ~50% or less done with the hierarchy under main categories. I didnt even started with zero level pages so content wise is preety much empty. Im trying to bash some info or change texts or add links just to make it look relevant and fresh.

Trying to keep a compact front page, not sure if im 100% happy with that.For example simulation is now under Animation that is a little odd or no ? Cant deside. I hope to find some free time to go brute force on the hierarchy.

rray

Post by rray » 02 May 2017, 11:00

Nice, thanks for setting this up. Creating some quality initial content is important to get user (and google) attention. I'm not sure if the Autodesk wiki even allows editing apart from admins.

A nice addition might be some dumping ground for each of the big categories where everyone can drop unpolished stuff until they themselves or someone else has time to polish it up.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 02 May 2017, 17:12

A nice addition might be some dumping ground for each of the big categories where everyone can drop unpolished stuff until they themselves or someone else has time to polish it up.
Nice idea Ill do that soon :)
--
Edit done B-) , in the bottom ov every main category page there is now an Unpolished Pages section, so now ppl can easily drop new custom (category related) pages, without thinkin so much about where exactly they should be placed within the wiki. (Changed info in the instructions page)

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 02 May 2017, 21:24

Categories in the old WiKi that I would suggest we port to the new Wiki:

File Transfer (DotXSI, Collada, FBX, Crosswalk)
FaceRobot
Interface
Lagoa
Simulation
Support and Licensing
SDK
EmPolygonizer
Game Engine (Unity, Critek)
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 02 May 2017, 22:07

Hey Daniel

File transfer is simmilar to IO Formats located in main page Extras.
Face robot exists at Animation>Charachter Animation>Face robot
Lagoa is under ICE
Simulation is under animation.. but i think that might be a little od
(So we can techicaly alrdy start enhancing these with content from the official wiki)

SDK : I renamed Scripting to SDK
Support and Licensing : (Transfered this page it is now in main page>Extras>Support and Licensing) needs some work( )

EmPolygonizer, Game Engine (Unity, Critek) we can create these as well todo()

homam

Post by homam » 03 May 2017, 15:51

Great initiative *-:) Hope to see more unique stuff not available in the official docs.

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 03 May 2017, 21:19

Great initiative indeed.

Maybe we could also transfer the information on Softimage Blog and XSI Support while at it to have a central repository of useful information and backup. Sort of lesson learned from the fall of XSI Base.

I don't know about the stuff on Ed Harris site but there may be some useful information there too.

http://www.softimageblog.com/why-xsi-blog
https://xsisupport.com/
http://www.edharriss.com/

Even the XSI Mailing List is worth browsing and extracting useful information and nuggets that would be worthy of the Repository
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 05 May 2017, 20:43

Game Engine is now a new category in Extras Main Page (only a draft description inside). I dont know if it will remain there maybe it can go under a more gerenalistic gategory that includes all kinds of pipelines.

emPolygonizer now has its own page. emP will be mentioned in many and important places within the wiki so it will stand out automatically. Vimeo intergration works fine that is good news. On the plus search function works fine.

By the way iv started transfering the hierarchy of SDK y/day i have no clue on programmin dont knwo what im doing 8-| so i wont change a thing hierarchy wise unless advised differently.

(todo)
One major disadvantage of this wiki is that it cant receive uploads (for example a zip), plus the lack of parent child relation between pages. When im preety much done with hierarchy i will add a link in the top of each page so one can go navigate one tier UP esp within documentation a like pages.

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 08 May 2017, 19:28

Hello guys b-( bad news i have some trouble with the licencing, just halted everything for now. Wikia only uses a commercial version of creative commons licence, while the Docs use a non commercial version. The new wiki is clearly a spin off of the docs.

Iv send a nice email to the staff but the chances to get what i want are slim.
Only super special cases use different licence on Wikia.

In worst case scenario ill have to delete everything under main categories or even search for a new place that allows different licencing. Its a shame because i was just done transfering the structure (exept references) and I was ready to start bashing content like crazy.

Im waiting on their responce ~x( :- :ymdaydream: (-| :ympray: 8-x
We will do our best to get back to you in the next 2-3 business days, but please be patient as we work through all of the messages.
--

On top of that the old wiki is a copyright of AD im not sure if we can use that so freely as a source. I mean the contributions there imply under what licence ? And what about mailing list? I hate conflicts between licences, licences are so intimedating. And im not a g*damn lawyer

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 12 May 2017, 19:43

The Wikia got wiped after my request, is now a blank page. Their licencing page is horrible stating in almost first line that some wikias use different licence, with a quick read made me to believe that i can do that as well, their support is nice helped me to wipe content tho.

Their current licence i dont like it, allows anyone not just remix all the text but even sell it.

Anyways i hope we find some use but is not the new "amazing" fresh wiki that we wanted, dreamed, needed. We cant make that a central repository of all the cool sources out there. I might leave it like this for now, till im less pissed able to, find a way to do something useful with it. x