I'm starting doing Fabric 'tutorials'

New plugins, tools etc.
Pooby

I'm starting doing Fabric 'tutorials'

Post by Pooby » 12 Feb 2016, 12:46

I've literally just started.. today so I wouldn't call this a true Tutorial, Its observing me learn, but thats what i did with ICE and I'm sure it will be helpful for some people to follow as I do them.

https://vimeo.com/155106064
Last edited by Pooby on 12 Feb 2016, 13:41, edited 1 time in total.

Grims

Re: I'm starting doing Fabric 'tutorials'

Post by Grims » 12 Feb 2016, 13:33

Well, this video really helped me to get started with Fabric :)

Thank you Pooby!
The Future is Gloomy!

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 12 Feb 2016, 13:55

Raycasting onto a mesh

https://vimeo.com/155111861

Grims

Post by Grims » 12 Feb 2016, 14:00

Keep them coming!!! :ymhug:
The Future is Gloomy!

Firebird

Post by Firebird » 12 Feb 2016, 16:21

Thats great
I Love your ICE tutorials entertaining, enjoyable and easy to follow and learn stuff.
^:)^

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 12 Feb 2016, 17:34

Indeed! these clips probably opened so many eyes in regards to how relatively easy visual programming can be.

And while expanding on Fabric territory is indeed great, I hope (as well as many I'm sure) that there would also be some more ICE material here and there, even *if* it would only be to motivate recreations on other systems (and/or motivate improvements of other systems themselves), which no doubt would not be ONLY for that, as I'm sure very-much existing ICE users would continue to clammer-up upon these clips.

Like this one from just yesterday's,
Making a 2D Tracker
https://vimeo.com/155009080

This is also pretty darn awesome!
Horse Deformation Work in progress

(with personal comments being super modest as usual :p)
"Animation is a bit wonky and awkward but that wasn't the focus of the exercise; "

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 12 Feb 2016, 18:17

Yes I'm going to do some more ICE ones.. I'm working on a "how to make Fur dynamics" one at the moment.

To me, its all the same kind of stuff. Anything learnt in ICE is applicable to Fabric. and at the moment far faster for me. I'm liking Fabric, but its more work to get the same results. ICE is like a fast protoyping tool thats amazing IF you want to stay in Softimage. which I do most of the time.

I just want to learn Fabric, because apart from the fact I want to make some cool standalone and realtime character tools it means if I ever get forced to do Maya stuff, I can take my ideas with me and not have to feel like I'm taking a step back to the 90's

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 12 Feb 2016, 18:55

I agree, and it seems that in general, these two things is what can typically make an internal clash inside soft users.

"its more work to get the same results"

"not have to feel like I'm taking a step back to the 90's"

Almost like pilots of the (retired) Concord supersonic airplane :p

gaboraa

Post by gaboraa » 12 Feb 2016, 19:01

Thank you Paul, I wanted to learn Fabric but haven't had time to get my hands dirty. Hopefully your videos would allow me to kick start the learning.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 14 Feb 2016, 18:49

Just saw these :) (below)

Also in addition to previous comments, in cases when such examples would be used as reference for reproductions on other systems, these would also help remap equivalences
(if at-all existing, and if not -- or if not as straight forward, would help demonstrate the need for what may be missing)

Dynamic Fur 101

Making Fur Dynamics from scratch
https://vimeo.com/155227329

-1 Moving ball around, emit points & strands

-5 new simulated ice tree & making strand roots position follow geometry in sim.

-10 making subsequent strand segments follow strand root positions

---11 storing strand segment length

---14 Setting strand segment lengths at each frame with iterations.

Storing video data as point positions! And converting back to video
https://vimeo.com/155224825

Using point positions to store color (or whatever) info
as an interesting proof of concept for ICE information agnosticism in general, and/or as means to transfer attributes between packages by conforming to certain types of data.

anhungxadieu

Post by anhungxadieu » 17 Feb 2016, 09:57

hi there,

Anyone have a same problem with debug things in Fabric. For me it less flexible than softimage ice
i can't show a debug vector(direction, length ...), maybe i don't know or ...

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 17 Feb 2016, 11:28

anhungxadieu wrote:hi there,

Anyone have a same problem with debug things in Fabric. For me it less flexible than softimage ice
i can't show a debug vector(direction, length ...), maybe i don't know or ...
You can do a search for ''inline drawing''. There are some examples too, coming in installation. However, it's more generic, also it's asking for few more little steps to get it to display, compared to ICE.

anhungxadieu

Post by anhungxadieu » 17 Feb 2016, 11:55

i saw it's have inline drawing and debug drawing which is different category( i still don't know what different between them ). and always i want to see debug data i need to connect out port of that node to an out port of canvas operator(the root graph i should say :) ), that is very pain when you have a lot of sub graph.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 17 Feb 2016, 20:57

While no doubt many things would get better with time, **for the moment** this kind of thing:
... it's asking for few more little steps to get it to [insert procedure here], compared to ICE
currently seems to apply to a relatively wide variety of things relative to ICE, including a number of 'missing' functions (without resorting to KL code)

It can be argued that some of these functions can involve but a few lines in KL, and that basic KL knowledge can go a long way.

Yet I wonder what can possibly prevent the inclusion of such basic functions, even if their own inner workings would be code as opposed to node based.

Considering that even "a few lines of code" which can take 2 seconds for a seasoned programmer/scripter, can for a layman involve spending much time minding quite sensitive & specific syntax or needing to come to an at least 'fair' level of knowledge to have it actually working, and that many users attracted to the visual aspect of visual programming mainly have that interest specifically to circumvent such technical requirements.

Also considering that even if many can be BOTH very technically AND artistically minded, and that most "digital artists" are at least a bit of both, for the very large majority of users in general, to a large extent is still more of an "either/or" kind of thing, mostly relating to *time* and what is prioritized to be done with it, and can be seen as the very premise/purpose of having things node based and visual.

Otherwise for data visualization, since a number of Fabric developers allegedly have an ICE background, one would think that it would have been one of the foremost priorities, and I'm sure many would be pleased if such capability were in the works.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 17 Feb 2016, 23:41

FXDude wrote:While no doubt many things would get better with time, **for the moment** this kind of thing:
... it's asking for few more little steps to get it to [insert procedure here], compared to ICE
currently seems to apply to a relatively wide variety of things relative to ICE, including a number of 'missing' functions (without resorting to KL code)

It can be argued that some of these functions can involve but a few lines in KL, and that basic KL knowledge can go a long way.

Yet I wonder what can possibly prevent the inclusion of such basic functions, even if their own inner workings would be code as opposed to node based.
Well exactly for 'visualizers', "[insert procedure here]" :) means connecting the 'visualizer node" to output port, as anhungxadieu already described. Getting the ICE style of visualizing, I think this obviously won't be just a few lines of KL code. Most likely ICE has an special, deep under the hood mechanism for that. If I can go into, what I think it is more relevant comparison these days - Houdini added the visualizers in V14, but developers were precious (that's my impression) in avoiding "core changes", there, so ergonomic is not comparable to ICE. It is somehow typical sequence of actions ( much longer than ICE), together with (also typical) dispersed info and controls.

However, in case of complete, well rounded system, dedicated for exact task, like built in ICE particles or custom tools based on ICE like Scatter Tools, Strand Tree and so on. I think it's possible to pack the FE visualizer somewhere inside compound, all that without any line of KL. While end user is still able to combine a very various sorts of inputs, geometries or plain logic, without any code. But, yeah, we still have to wait for such system.
For small, isolated example, very personally I'm slowly working on FE variance of this thing - where I believe I already see the all components without any KL - but I'm still not sure is there a way to expose the all controls in enough user friendly way for users of another apps ( which is a question of my design and ambition, not FE ). That is, a lot of SI end users were ready to learn some ICE basics, because this was only option for many tasks, while I don't believe this will work, once there is choice of dozens, much more user friendly plugins for Maya or Max. Or, in other word, I'm not sure if even ICE alone will be successful into 'open market' of widely accepted 3d apps. Perhaps we can remember the all complaints how ICE is *not* user friendly, so, I'm afraid ICE is able to work as 'reference of best', only for *some* of us, SI users.
Anyway, I have impression, that once we will see the 'complete and well rounded systems' based on FE, only 'victims' will be 'people in grey area', who want to be a sort of developers but do not want to write a code. Which really is special demand, I think. Shouldn't apply to end user who want to combine the forces and emitters, or anything focused to final result.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 18 Feb 2016, 01:20

Hi,
I wasn't implying that an easily accessible visualizer would be but a few lines, just that some of the apparently missing nodes aren't at-all necessarily complex ones.

http://forums.fabricengine.com/discussi ... nt-normals
I'm not sure if even ICE alone will be successful into 'open market' of widely accepted 3d apps.
Exclusively in that regard, if mesured by that criteria (if at-all considered important) indeed it's probably the worst, and 3ds max would be the best.
Perhaps we can remember the all complaints how ICE is *not* user friendly,
Which I think should be a big part of the point in regards of the different solutions out there, while it's to this day one of the more approachable systems, there remained lots of room to make it yet more approachable still.
Leaping over the different contexts, or going a step further than it's already pre-adapting ports to what type of data is being fed in comes to mind...
so, I'm afraid ICE is able to work as 'reference of best', only for *some* of us, SI users.
I would think more so than you would think ;)