2015 Service Pack 2 released

New plugins, tools etc.
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: 2015 Service Pack 2 released

Post by Hirazi Blue » 11 Oct 2015, 16:52

Let us say you can convince a judge of possible wrongdoings in this "sordid" affair, it will take years of litigation to get to a point where no more appeal is possible. By then Softimage will presumably be outdated at last and all its users will hopefully finally have found new toys to play with…
:!!
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 12 Oct 2015, 04:20

kay people, what are the "fixes" on SP2?
Anyone got the list?
Thanks.

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 12 Oct 2015, 08:48

Hirazi Blue wrote:Let us say you can convince a judge of possible wrongdoings in this "sordid" affair, it will take years of litigation to get to a point where no more appeal is possible. By then Softimage will presumably be outdated at last and all its users will hopefully finally have found new toys to play with…
I see the big picture now. We should make a documentary about this.

julius

Post by julius » 12 Oct 2015, 09:27

the list is available in the download page.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 13 Oct 2015, 03:18

Hirazi Blue wrote:By then Softimage will presumably be outdated at last and all its users will hopefully finally have found new toys to play with…

Apart various steps (some impressive like C4d takes, or Houdini Tweak tools), all in all in all, I personally haven't witnessed anything remotely like what could potentially qualify as "the next XSI", have you?

Until there would be something generally as intuitive while advanced,
specially that for the foreseeable future, we will still be dealing with polygons, UV's, shaders, rigs, (bread and butter), particles, voxels, and 'effects' on each of those things to output sequences of images, and that most of those things SI deals-with in such a straight-forward no-nonsensenical way,
(what makes it fast for more complex stuff in production crunch times)

... I'd have a hard time saying "Finally! at last Soft is really dead".

But if despite all that 'being standard' is a priority, then better look at Maya or Houdini (Houdini being great for voxels and things.. though haven't tried Explosia yet) which are both excellent if not more advanced in their own ways with more control over different things.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 13 Oct 2015, 11:14

FXDude wrote:I personally haven't witnessed anything remotely like what could potentially qualify as "the next XSI", have you?
No, I haven't either, but that obviously wasn't the point. Given enough time every Softimage user will ultimately move on - when OS compatibility breaks down, for instance - and will not want to wait for the outcome of some legal proceedings, that could take many years to unfold, assuming there even is a real case to be made...
:-?

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 13 Oct 2015, 13:09

Is there any legal proceedings about Softimage demise?

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 13 Oct 2015, 15:05

As far as I know there is none. It's highly doubtful one would actually have a case anyway... "We" were "scr**ed" when Avid sold Softimage to Autodesk (and much of the blame for what inevitably happened should go to Avid IMHO) and looking back at all the comments back then we all knew it, but in the end it was "business as usual", nothing out of the ordinary, nothing to go to court for IMHO...
;)

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 13 Oct 2015, 17:55

'Proceedings' which may not be much more right or much less aggressive than the initially disputed actions tehmselves (not only would it not 'fix' anything, but would probably only further exacerbate aggressiveness even if 'won')

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 14 Oct 2015, 13:58

Hirazi Blue wrote:As far as I know there is none. It's highly doubtful one would actually have a case anyway... "We" were "scr**ed" when Avid sold Softimage to Autodesk (and much of the blame for what inevitably happened should go to Avid IMHO) and looking back at all the comments back then we all knew it, but in the end it was "business as usual", nothing out of the ordinary, nothing to go to court for IMHO...
;)
I dunno how many people are aware of this, but a certain company in Europe (which is also a competitor to autodesk) was trying to acquire Softimage from Avid. But politics played its filthy role and prevented them from doing so. Had they acquired Softimage before autodesk, we would've been in much better hands today.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 14 Oct 2015, 17:32

Wasn't one of them Dassault systems? Of course one could only drewl at the thought of what an XSI v14 would have been like, but since history can't be undone, at least Soft with all it's still advantageous advantages will still work for a while, other solutions make/made some notable steps in good directions, and otherwise I wouldn't be surprised if Sylyn eventually became the next closest thing, very-much aligned and aiming to become a full blown DCC, and based on the little bit that's there now, (unlike other procedural systems) noticeably making everything as straight forward or as stupid simple as possible (at it's core) down to the nitty gritty.

The alpha is still open to applications (now at its second, with many of it's changes based on user-input), and you'll probably recognize quite few names on it's forum :) (better to describe some of your background in your introduction)

http://www.sylyn.com/

Cheers,

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 14 Oct 2015, 18:42

So assuming you are one of their invitees, from your words I take it sylyn is still in the very earliest stage of development?
Not something that will be released in the foreseeable (i.e. "near") future?
:-\

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 14 Oct 2015, 20:04

Hi, you may be asking because I said 'the little bit that's there', but that was only in relation to what could be considered a complete production ready solution, in it's current (and rather quickly evolving) state.

But it's far from only starting, and there's more than enough to see what kind of approach it has on things (including workflow-wise) based on what can already be done.

Quite encouraging if you ask me.

But apply and see for yourself! ;)

(there is also fairly good docs already)

EDIT: Also sorry because I guess that could come close enough to being "potentially the next XSI" or at least a very good candidate. :ymsmug:

Werner

Post by Werner » 15 Oct 2015, 22:17

I for one, am glad that we moved over to Houdini back when the poop hit the fan.

We are learning new things every day and I'm having a blast with the incredible amount of freedom delivered by SideFX in Houdini. Over the last couple of months I realised that I needed to move on and make my peace with Autodesk. I will never touch one of their applications again, and Houdini is making me smile from ear to ear. Opening up Softimage now feels a bit strange. Not even sure if I will install SP2

I just love this application, but SideFX is my new home. \:D/ \:D/

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 16 Oct 2015, 01:52

Well i asked because with Autodesk public declarations that the "future is bright" there was a case to could be made. I know for example that Vladoo of Vray was furious after all Autodesk promises to him and he made the investment to port Vray to Softimage.

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 18 Oct 2015, 11:47

Softimage; it is:

The Nikola Tesla of the 3D world
The Imam Ali of the 3D world
The Christ and Savior of the 3D world
The Palestine of the 3D world
The Warsaw Holocaust victim of the 3D world
The Golden Goose of the 3D world

It is not perfect, but it is everything that make's the 3D world a worthwhile experience. Some of my sentiments.