Maya Hair Plugin - GMH2

New plugins, tools etc.
FXDude

Re: Maya Hair Plugin - GMH2

Post by FXDude » 08 Apr 2015, 05:17

Oh! sorry didnt realize it wasn't something he put out.

Though I'm sure something pretty decent can be done by simulating hair deformers,

and not to mention..... how about Kristinka?
can't you also run and groom hair along nurbs strips (or other things) with Kritinka?
and then simulate the meshes?

Matheus? :)

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 08 Apr 2015, 11:01

FXDude wrote:Oh! sorry didnt realize it wasn't something he put out.

Though I'm sure something pretty decent can be done by simulating hair deformers,

and not to mention..... how about Kristinka?
can't you also run and groom hair along nurbs strips (or other things) with Kritinka?
and then simulate the meshes?

Matheus? :)
It's not tied to NURBS surfaces, styling could be performed by any ICE construction, which is able to isolate points form underlying point cloud (usually just one for entire wig), set strand positions, and create two vectors, used for orientation of modifiers, evaluated later. For small example, I have impression, that Psyop people used only a basic kH structure, with a lot of custom stuff above.

So there is no unified procedure for 'carpet style' simulation.

There are some compounds in download, for sticking the strands to mesh stripes, for simulating with Syflex. Here is old link to wmv movie showing how this look a like - 'returning to original pose' is actually a Syflex weighted pin constraint.

Should not be a big deal to just apply the factory Strand Dynamics Framework on top of kH, but then, there should be a custom solution for deriving the orientation from simulated guides.

Long story short, Syflex and mesh stripes, it was somehow optimal solution.

Another story, is, that supplied examples, docs and tutorial, most likely does not fit into level of engagement, described in few posts above in this thread, which I'd believe is 1:1 step by step explanation.
There is almost nothing I can do about, now - unfortunately. Well known 'code less or nothing, create more', does not apply to tutorials and docs. Only can say something about the solutions in other, much larger communities, able to carry enough of diversity, from one-click-but-a-bit-limited, to flexible-and-complicated, whatever fit best to particular needs.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 21 May 2016, 19:16

i recently have to work on a project that requires hair, and im in a world of pain with xsi. its so damn difficult that i have no idea if i'll pull it out.
Normal Hair system is so obsolete, unstable and hard to work with that its not remotely an option.
Kristinka seems powerful enough but my ice knowledge is too limited to even consider that, this maya tool makes me wonder was that so difficult to have something this easy to get implemented in Soft. I guess i have to take into account to see if i can do this in maya but well.. another software to learn and such.

Shame.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 21 May 2016, 19:42

i would kill to be able to do such technique for hair in Xsi..

http://carlosortega.prosite.com/150824/ ... -stillness

anyone have any clue?

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 21 May 2016, 21:36

Maximus wrote:i would kill to be able to do such technique for hair in Xsi..

anyone have any clue?
Yet yet another method of extrusions of hairs along (very very carefully placed) geometry. Best and completely non destructive way to do it in SI, is Softimage ICE, first basic and simple examples were posted by Helge Mathe on old SI Net, I think, 2008. In any case, anywhere, a bit of methodical work is included. I'd say, anyone who really wanted to get it in ICE, got it, long time ago.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 22 May 2016, 00:11

well after banging my head on the wall for hours this is the closest i came up with..
dont think its remotely usable, i used basically Zybrand compounds for grass :D inverting the delete volume

my brain is fried, the frustration is too much :/

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 22 May 2016, 12:46

Maximus wrote:well after banging my head on the wall for hours this is the closest i came up with..
dont think its remotely usable, i used basically Zybrand compounds for grass :D inverting the delete volume
Must be Strand Tree or emPolygonizer, then... ;)
As a matter of principle I'd never ever suggest my stuff as solution, but maybe it's time for small exception.
Be our guest, in downloads for SI or Houdini there are samples, close to these hairdos - maybe something will fit, immediately.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 22 May 2016, 13:23

Mathaeus wrote:
Maximus wrote:well after banging my head on the wall for hours this is the closest i came up with..
Must be Strand Tree or emPolygonizer, then... ;)
As a matter of principle I'd never ever suggest my stuff as solution, but maybe it's time for small exception.
Be our guest, in downloads for SI or Houdini there are samples, close to these hairdos - maybe something will fit, immediately.
Thanks Anto, i am tryin to figure out how to do this with Kristinka, i saw that Ruby making of and short wip, what i dont really undertsand is the "Follow Curve". These curves are manually created and grouped together? in his picture it doesnt show how he connected this and im not sure i understand how to do that. So you basically create each curve individually and then group them and then tell kristinka strand to follow curves?

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 22 May 2016, 14:10

There is no group, for Ruby, I think each curve is referenced in ICE tree individually. Another option is compound called kH3 Follow CurveList which takes curve list (bunch of curves merged into one). First allows to have individual settings for each curve, second is probably easier to manage, but one setting (how guides are clumped etc) is for all.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 22 May 2016, 19:27

An interesting approach nonetheless... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 23 May 2016, 01:14

well, im tryin with Kristinka and slowly having some improvements, still a ton of work to do ~x(
Thanks for the help Anto.

also i just noticed i hijacked the thread :D im so sorry i'll stop!

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 23 May 2016, 11:45

Maximus wrote:also i just noticed i hijacked the thread :D im so sorry i'll stop!
I wouldn't call this a thread hijack just yet... Keep us posted on your progress. :x
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 07 Jun 2016, 13:18

Hi Maximus, just to ask how you've been progressing?

Also can I ask, what are generally issues with XSI hair.

You mentiuonned Maya which can indeed have things or plugins specifically made for that, that can perhaps be easier at first, but (as typically Maya) can then become somewhat limited in what you can do, or then become hyper-technical (ie Xgen)

But the problem with Soft & hair, seems to be too many possible paths to choose from.

One good way that I know of, is Melena curve generation from Native XSI Hair guides (which are brush stylable) and these curves can keep a live link for simulation,

Curves Which can be continued to be used with Melena as is, or be extruded as strips, -OR- with K-hair also for it's own mind boggling array of styling options -- curling, clumping, ...... -- along curves stands or stips, including for sim which considers the original shape as a force, but even with good old hair sim can give good results (with some tweaking).

I've even extruded a bunch of tubes out of a head, ICE syflex cloth simimed them for them to fall naturally, and setup a few obstacles to whip the tubes into place (doing so live while playback), and then extracted curves
out of the tubes as initial style curves, then used native create hair from curves. and twisted some of these tubes for the heck of it.

-- Tip for Extracting curves :: sel-> parallel edge loop (1 loop for each tube)-> select loop from selection (loops running across length) -> extract curve from selected edges

But like I said, I think there's just too many possibilities, which can be both a blessing and a curse!

Cheers,

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 07 Jun 2016, 13:21

Also a good (and fast) way to render hair is using very wide raytraced soft shadows (many shadow rays and 1 light sample), which then acts as like a directional Ambient occlusion for the hair volume.

This is just regular XSI hair

Only Sim and render has been tweaked (no actual hair style which is just anything)

And sim was fully live & rendering was some 3 to 7 min/frame.

Maximus wrote:i would kill to be able to do such technique for hair in Xsi..

anyone have any clue?
For running hair inside a mesh volume and/or along strips,
there is this little publicized tool
benmalartre wrote: wrote:
Here is a quick XSI 2013 scene if you want to take a look at it without any comments/explanation
http://benmalartre.free.fr/datas/scenes/Furax.scn

from here
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6158&p=53561&hilit=furax#p53561

also has many styling options inside the compound itself (look for 'Furax' nodes in compound)

benmalartre

Post by benmalartre » 09 Jun 2016, 11:20

Wow! Nice Render!!
Can you share a scene?
I never was able to get so good result with xsi hair shader...
Thanks to testing my scene, too bad the modeling is so dirty

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 09 Jun 2016, 15:15

Thanks! :] and putting together a scene is in the works!

Also, sorry I failed to specify, it's native XSI hair using P_HairTK shader, and that sequence was from a bunch of passes spread-out across a number of test scene versions with different light setups, setttings, shaders.. that I just rendered them all and then used some of them to comp together while discarding others. (to more quickly experiment with various elements because light colored hair can be somewhat more difficult), and I'm puttting it back together for it to come straight out in 1 pass with a simple setup.

So Stay tuned!

And by the way, your hair system is so awesome! (fast stable and intuitive!)

It's like directly modeling hair lol

And many were looking for something like that for a quite a while!

Also if you don't mind, I would like to put out a version of your compound exposing and organizing a bunch of setting buried inside.

Every time I went to adjust something I discovered new features (lots of features!) that were hidden in there :)

Kudos! and thanks for such an elaborate yet easy system!