Open source Softimage!

New plugins, tools etc.
threedslider

Re: Open source Softimage!

Post by threedslider » 22 Jun 2018, 16:06

Rork wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 14:28 Call it Sumatra, so we're going full circle ;)
Cool why not to call it and it sounds good :)

Draise

Post by Draise » 22 Jun 2018, 16:44

luceric wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 15:32 we would never have Chrome, and the Iphone would have had a terrible web browser if everyone told the guy who made Khtml to just make a better toolbar for Mozilla instead
KHTML was based on KDE, which indeed was architecture already built off opensource code.

I guess the ultimate argument is which opensoruce architecture would be more fun to program, which language/architecture will give you the strongest foundations, which would get you the best and most features quickist, and which sourcecode you can and will splice into the app for features can be maintained, suported and updated through time most frequently - and the question if you should build off a large programmer/support base with potential people to help you out or a new untested architecture that is relatively unknown.

The opensource nodal programming architecture above is awesome. Very handy - building around that and the other libraries might work. I see stuff like 3D Voxel architecture that needs work also. I see other nodal architecture that was ahead of it's time with things like Fabric Engine. A 3D authoring app could have been built with that easily. I also see.. if you're going to build a whole new architecture - might as well make an animation/rendering/modeling authoring app with 3D voxel systems and great UI or something new. That hasn't been done. It would be the first of a kind, and then you wouldn't have any opensource competition and pioneering that UI would be groundbreaking and a trendsetter (because it's a completely new workflow). Just playing "catch up" to Softimage will always stay behind anything else that is opensource.

But I'm all for an Opensource competition to Blender. That's why I use and try develop the Bforartists fork. But something else new and exciting will be awesome and drive that 3D opensource world much faster. If you document the source code well as you build (something Blender struggles with) and keep things very clean and organized, maybe you can shoot ahead and put out some good competition. It would make any other devs to help you out more equiped to splice in their code or ideas.

Gung ho.

But yeah, being organized and open and feature/task orientated will help. Documenting progress openly will drive your financing campaign and help you get off the ground faster. And - ... clear planning really will help.

threedslider

Post by threedslider » 22 Jun 2018, 19:20

An approach of UI for Blender to Softimage is to modify with OpenGL this idea i like much but what about for Nuklear a single-header ANSI C gui library (an Immediate mode graphical user interface toolkit) ? : https://github.com/vurtun/nuklear It is fully skinnable and customizable as it says in github, you think it is good to integrate it vs OpenGL UI ? or i take to Blendish https://bitbucket.org/duangle/oui-blendish/overview and i modify UI to look like Softimage ? What do you think ?

threedslider

Post by threedslider » 23 Jun 2018, 10:33

threedslider wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 16:06
Rork wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 14:28 Call it Sumatra, so we're going full circle ;)
Cool why not to call it and it sounds good :)
After reflexion this name is not a trademark of Autodesk ?

threedslider

Post by threedslider » 23 Jun 2018, 10:38

luceric wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 19:48 to make the project more interesting to more people, I'd dump whatever scene graph you have in moonlight and just start from scratch on top of Pixar USD and OSD (http://graphics.pixar.com/usd/docs/index.html)
realtime for USD :

It is an improvement really...

threedslider

Post by threedslider » 27 Aug 2018, 04:07

Hello it is me again ;)

Phew ! Bright it some news, right? I am working very hard, i learn a lot of codes, tweak, fix, improve (not much but it is coming), it is pretty fun to use this Moonlight Creator. Ok my taste is unchanged, i make Blackdot for Softimage XSI... Last time i was learning C++, algo, math, 3D, etc... a lot of working here i hope to make one day a release and stable :ympray: . It is high and likely to make look like UI as Softimage so let say it will make more better than it !

My task are :
- review for all fix and make it stable
- improve and make for UI
- improve rendering
- adding more tool for polygon (later nurbs cause it is wip)
- make for scripting (so hard but i look this on how to integrate)
- adding for plugin (wip lol)
- wip and work on more later to add some tool more interesting, ya cause i am solo lol

no screenshoot, no video... no yet... it will come later when his wip are more resulted :)

hope i will show you more cool than nothing.

see you and stay tuned

threedslider

Post by threedslider » 16 Feb 2019, 00:26

Hi,
It took me a long time, I still have to finish.
Now I work for several project to make more experience from coding.
Ok i hope to get out Blackdot 3D this year 2019 but i am working on it, i am also working Vanilla based from Blender 2.79b to make my own path and improvement. Any touch for Natron for integrating 3D camera and 3D tracking :)

It is official to make 3 open source software for me that i can improve a lot, adding more features, changing some look and fixing bug. This allows me to unlock my skill and work as before and after.
Why to work on 3 project ? Because instead of reiventing the wheels, i am based these open source and save my time for carry on at all.

Project Blackdot :
Big news, I try to mimic for Softimage XSI from UI, some tools to make similar behavior, i am looking to integrate PBR rendering on my own if it works well or make based from Cycles. Animation is wip but disabled and i am focusing on 3D modeler tool.

Project Vanilla :
A new tool with mesh whose system is different from current to make more easy for 3D modeling. A BGE version 2 is considered and more robust than old system.

Project Natron :
For integration 3D camera and 3D tracking.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 16 Feb 2019, 04:01

Best of luck in this great endeavor,

and feel free to come and pick our brains when you want to test stuff or otherwise!

threedslider

Post by threedslider » 23 Aug 2020, 08:28

Hello!

Phew! Sorry not making a release of my Blackdot in 2019 :-/... There are many so problems from compilation is about 99% but 1% is too many error of linking compile time, so these codes are so old not conform to it now, ok I was rewriting this year from scratch on my dev Blackdot ! My branch is more nice for visibility and coding more modern now I will use C++ fully and purely in C++ thus not any C here :).
Now I was very carrefuly to making for linking compile time, it works better, I was more confortable with my new codes and happy it goes well :).

My todo list :
1/ phase : Rewrite to all Gui in more modern as Softimage XSI
2/ phase : Rewrite to Modeler tools
3/ phase : Plug to Cycles in Blackdot
4/ phase : Write new to Modeler as OOP system
5/ phase : Write to Scripting editor
… more new coming

From now i am coding to tools for common system to be ready to write for Gui and then phase 2 is wip, etc.., yeah it is a big of task here, so I will make more fun for you and soon you will try it for your pleasure ;)

See you soon for more coming to news, wait and see so stay tuned !

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 23 Aug 2020, 10:16

Good luck man ;)
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

yashugan

Post by yashugan » 23 Aug 2020, 14:45

Apologize me, but the last update is in 14 may 2018 and now we are in 2020, there is something to see? Would be great!... :)
why don't you create a patreon? i'll became member for sure if the project will be open source.... :)
I have a question: Is not more easy adjust the UI and some logic inside blender than re do all from scratch? Thank yuou any way.

threedslider

Post by threedslider » 23 Aug 2020, 17:59

Yeah I was starting in 14 may 2018 for my dev Blackdot so I was working in my free time that it means it takes longer than I was thinking, from now nothing to see something but it is now changing to come more news :)
For Patreon, I will wait when a release software is out and hope they will support me, don't worry it is coming soon.
Ui in Blender for Softimage in Blackdot was discussed before, the problem Blender is writing in C and python, changing that in C++ are wasted time to make it ! Amount of codes will be broken here and I am not sure if it is good to do it... I am writing in C++ purely because of OOP system will be more easy to make for UI so wait for something changing to come as screenshot and then we will talk what it needs to make it better :)

yashugan

Post by yashugan » 23 Aug 2020, 20:44

Just one question: What is Blackdot? (apologize , i'm not a programmer) :)

threedslider

Post by threedslider » 24 Aug 2020, 08:50

I picked a random name for my 3D software, there is not meaning maybe a black "dot" as a black "pixel" so Blackdot is about 3D Rendering in "magic pixel", hope I am clear on it :)

yashugan

Post by yashugan » 24 Aug 2020, 14:45

thank you, too gentle :)

threedslider

Post by threedslider » 09 Mar 2023, 19:49

Ok this year it's a challenge for me to finish my dev and bring you the pleasures of doing 3D before here the forum go up in smoke :)

My website is wip and I am working hard to make it and as always i am solo to do that :/ so the link is : https://www.mospixel.com/

And my planning for my dev is here : https://trello.com/b/EU72xBZE/blackdot-planning (what do you think of that ?)

So at beginning it will be quite basic to work with Blackdot and step by step for the time it will be advanced later

Hope you go well and stay safe

Stay tuned

See you soon.