Open source Softimage!

New plugins, tools etc.
threedslider

Re: Open source Softimage!

Post by threedslider » 22 Jun 2018, 16:06

Rork wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 14:28
Call it Sumatra, so we're going full circle ;)
Cool why not to call it and it sounds good :)

Draise

Post by Draise » 22 Jun 2018, 16:44

luceric wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 15:32
we would never have Chrome, and the Iphone would have had a terrible web browser if everyone told the guy who made Khtml to just make a better toolbar for Mozilla instead
KHTML was based on KDE, which indeed was architecture already built off opensource code.

I guess the ultimate argument is which opensoruce architecture would be more fun to program, which language/architecture will give you the strongest foundations, which would get you the best and most features quickist, and which sourcecode you can and will splice into the app for features can be maintained, suported and updated through time most frequently - and the question if you should build off a large programmer/support base with potential people to help you out or a new untested architecture that is relatively unknown.

The opensource nodal programming architecture above is awesome. Very handy - building around that and the other libraries might work. I see stuff like 3D Voxel architecture that needs work also. I see other nodal architecture that was ahead of it's time with things like Fabric Engine. A 3D authoring app could have been built with that easily. I also see.. if you're going to build a whole new architecture - might as well make an animation/rendering/modeling authoring app with 3D voxel systems and great UI or something new. That hasn't been done. It would be the first of a kind, and then you wouldn't have any opensource competition and pioneering that UI would be groundbreaking and a trendsetter (because it's a completely new workflow). Just playing "catch up" to Softimage will always stay behind anything else that is opensource.

But I'm all for an Opensource competition to Blender. That's why I use and try develop the Bforartists fork. But something else new and exciting will be awesome and drive that 3D opensource world much faster. If you document the source code well as you build (something Blender struggles with) and keep things very clean and organized, maybe you can shoot ahead and put out some good competition. It would make any other devs to help you out more equiped to splice in their code or ideas.

Gung ho.

But yeah, being organized and open and feature/task orientated will help. Documenting progress openly will drive your financing campaign and help you get off the ground faster. And - ... clear planning really will help.

threedslider

Post by threedslider » 22 Jun 2018, 19:20

An approach of UI for Blender to Softimage is to modify with OpenGL this idea i like much but what about for Nuklear a single-header ANSI C gui library (an Immediate mode graphical user interface toolkit) ? : https://github.com/vurtun/nuklear It is fully skinnable and customizable as it says in github, you think it is good to integrate it vs OpenGL UI ? or i take to Blendish https://bitbucket.org/duangle/oui-blendish/overview and i modify UI to look like Softimage ? What do you think ?

threedslider

Post by threedslider » 23 Jun 2018, 10:33

threedslider wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 16:06
Rork wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 14:28
Call it Sumatra, so we're going full circle ;)
Cool why not to call it and it sounds good :)
After reflexion this name is not a trademark of Autodesk ?

threedslider

Post by threedslider » 23 Jun 2018, 10:38

luceric wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 19:48
to make the project more interesting to more people, I'd dump whatever scene graph you have in moonlight and just start from scratch on top of Pixar USD and OSD (http://graphics.pixar.com/usd/docs/index.html)
realtime for USD :

It is an improvement really...