3delight update

New plugins, tools etc.
Mathaeus

3delight update

Post by Mathaeus » 14 Feb 2015, 16:33

Just noticed, 3delight for Softimage 2011 and up, is updated to version 4.0.39. Perhaps most important news: free version now works on 8 cores. Other news are here, as usual.

Edit: forgot download link, so it's here.

Maximus

Re: 3delight update

Post by Maximus » 14 Feb 2015, 22:13

well thats interesting. I just downloaded it and installed and i got this message tho:

// WARNING : This Free Edition of 3Delight for Softimage is limited to use a maximum of 4 threads.
// VERBOSE : 3Delight for Softimage 4.0.39 (Free) registered as a renderer and RIB exporter.
// VERBOSE : Using 3Delight library 11.0.131

Still 4 threads XD

bb3d

Post by bb3d » 14 Feb 2015, 22:16

Not really new, version 4.x is available for over a year now and still no official SI 2015 support.
The free version supports up to 4 cores, not 8, but this is an improvement over the 2-core limit of previous versions.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 14 Feb 2015, 23:04

well, it seems something is really wrong there..... didn't tried, my XSI is far bellow v2011

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 15 Feb 2015, 06:01

bb3d wrote:Not really new, version 4.x is available for over a year now and still no official SI 2015 support.
The free version supports up to 4 cores, not 8, but this is an improvement over the 2-core limit of previous versions.
This is from the download page,
This free version has all the features and is only limited in performance by using a maximum of 8 cores during rendering. Which means on computers with more than 8 cores, the software will not use all the computing power available.
Perhaps he just didnt replace 4 with 8 in the verbose?
(and for 'official supoport', didn't replace '14' with '15' ? ;) )

3Dlight is an amazing renderer, and leaves nothing to be desired from either Mantra, or of course RenderMan

With Path tracing (combined with non-path tracing) just about as fast as Arnorld (and just as worry free)
supporting most ICE things...
and access to most regular render tree nodes (being pretty awesome)

For recent updates...
3Delight for Softimage

4.0.40 - Upcoming

- Ignore the Smooth Subdivision Threshold if the object has displacement
- Don't skip environment map rendering if there are no envmap files
- Fixed bug when a light can't be changed after user changes Interactive Rendering Type
- Support for JSON statistics
- ESC key stops the rendering

4.0.38 - 2015-01-06

- Fixed depth in deep output with path tracer.

4.0.37 - 2014-12-30

Fixed an IPR crash when the user changes visibility of a light
Recompile a shader in edit session if a texture projection is changed
Improved tiles size in progressive rendering
Removed random black lines in progressive rendering
Don't render disabled Render Channels
Added light category name to the name of AOV in i-display
Added support for Volumetric Smoke and Volumetric Shards
Added ability to use any shader as a projection of a light source
Added Exposure and Gamma controls to the 3Delight Options
Fixed 3Delight Glass Attenuation
Added support for mesh light

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 15 Feb 2015, 10:53

DNA Research/3Delight not properly updating the text of the "warning" isn't unprecedented, they "did" so when the free version switched from 2 cores to 4 as well...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

klak06

Post by klak06 » 11 Jan 2016, 11:42

hi there

Though this is a very old thread by now...

Does anybody actually have a free version of 3Delight for Softimage working with 8 cores as announced on their website?
I installed the latest 3DelightForSoftimage2011-4.0.50-free.xsiaddon a few days ago on SI2014SP2 which still uses 4 threads only.
And it seems to hang SI quite often even with the simplest of scenes.
Anyone willing or able to share some insights perhaps?

cheers, Klaus

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 11 Jan 2016, 13:59

last time i tried 3delight never worked with more than 4 cores, and the SI forum is pretty dead, my assumption is they totally stopped developing it and they didnt fix the problems it had even. might want to contact them but i'm not sure you'll get an answer anytime soon.

btw, since they announced the 8 cores on free version, it never worked for me.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 11 Jan 2016, 17:14

As the last free version of 3Delight was extremely buggy in my experience
and they do not even bother to answer on the Softimage-related part of their forum,
I would consider 3Delight for Softimage "dead as a dodo", not worth bothering with anymore, sadly.
=((

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 11 Jan 2016, 21:59

Well as everybody probably knows, entire Renderman story was almost 'replaced' by Arnold in last few years. There are new players who using new technologies, like Red Shift, too. 3dl always been a 'bit different Renderman', this was their choice, and that's it. I think they (all Rendermans) made a long term mistake, insisting on 'faked' GI solutions, point - based stuff and so, instead of trying to go directly into ray tracing. At some point it seems it was to late to be serious competitor. Also, no one renderer of this sort became accepted by small players.

klak06

Post by klak06 » 13 Jan 2016, 10:13

A little update:
I asked the guys at 3delight about th 8 core thingie and got a reply from support today.
They have put up a new version >>3DelightForSoftimage2011-4.0.53-free.xsiaddon<< which now uses a maximum of 8 cores in Softimage as well.
After installing the addon it the status bar still stated that the free version would use only 4 threads but, after I specified the maximum core parameter manually setting it to 8 it worked.
Maybe this was just on old preference read from the newly installed addon.
So if anybody is still interested in this...
cheers K

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 13 Jan 2016, 17:23

Sadly this new update doesn't resolve the problem I was having with the previous version.
There still seem to be some shaders missing from the installation.
In my case, which I presented to them in december without any reply,
3delight looks for two absent shaders, namely "sitoon_node_mix.sl" and ""sib_incidence_v3.sl".
Any ideas how to work around this would be welcome... :-?

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 13 Jan 2016, 20:52

Hirazi Blue wrote:Sadly this new update doesn't resolve the problem I was having with the previous version.
There still seem to be some shaders missing from the installation.
In my case, which I presented to them in december without any reply,
3delight looks for two absent shaders, namely "sitoon_node_mix.sl" and ""sib_incidence_v3.sl".
Any ideas how to work around this would be welcome... :-?
These two are missing here on 3dl 4.012 for SI 7.01, too. Toon node mix doesn't work, can't say about rest like stepped gradient, don't see this one in 7.01.
Generally, older SI shader rely on some h file in rsl folder, like xsi_material.h or sitoon_utils.h - there are 'functions' like component mixing (diffuse, specular and so on). MIA or Car Paint are more independent. While some part of functionality is buried in dlls - so, imho, there's small chance to be lucky by hacking the sl files, but really small chance.
So, I think only way is to re - assemble this shading in another way, somehow. Emulation of built in stuff never ever been 100%, not even close ( but, stronger than in 3dl for Maya, afaik). Personally, I wouldn't dare to use shader compounds with 3dl.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 14 Jan 2016, 15:53

Thanks. The "stepped gradient" is just a preset I saved for my personal convenience. The missing ""sitoon_node_mix.sl" can be circumvented, the missing "incidence" shader poses a bigger problem, though...
;)

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 14 Jan 2016, 16:02

Regarding incidence shader, maybe it worth to try with stupid trick, to create copy of sib_incidence_v2 and rename it to v3, of course also to edit the appropriate v2 to v3 code in sl file - at least nothing bad should happen.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 14 Jan 2016, 16:08

I will have to try that. Thanks for the suggestion! ;)