3delight update

New plugins, tools etc.
FXDude

Re: 3delight update

Post by FXDude » 21 Jan 2016, 16:08

Thanks for that insight, very interesting!

I heard (in a making-of) that some frames of Transformers-II (or III) involved some 70 hours per frame, but not per node, but on the entire (ILM) farm (!) , which I have trouble wrapping my head around, specially that ILM's farm is probably no small farm , and TBH without at all knowing about the context, sounds quite unnecessary or wasteful even for the most complex scenes with all sorts of things, or as if very little effort went into any sort of optimization, without implying making any compromise on final quality.

Maybe also especially for such shallow movie(s) often found to simply have too much of everything more likely make viewers go ;
"wow, I can't keep track of what I'm actually looking at" rather than "wow! awesome!" :p

Kzin

Post by Kzin » 21 Jan 2016, 21:47

for transformers 3, the highest frametime was 27X hours. it was rendered with mental ray because only mr was able to render the shot by that time with raytracing. but it was before mr had much faster motion blur, so i can imagine why it rendered that long (the mb rendering after they changed it was up to 5 times faster for a frame from my tests in mentel ray, from 18 to 3,5 hours). ilm is known for not making compromises in quality.

the rendertime may sound high, but this is mostly per core, so a farm with 40k cores can render 40k frames in these 27X hours. but 70 hours per frame on the whole farm sounds to much, maybe for a whole shot?

the wow awesome moments are more or less over i think. the last i had was the stormwall in madmax, but thats less some new tech stuff wow. its more great scaling, camera, depth, a good feeling for the shot in general. i like that more then thousend ultron robots running around in a shot like beheaded chickens. ;)

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 22 Jan 2016, 05:36

Actually it was 72 hours, (2nd sequel) and even alot more for certain shots in the 3rd sequel, but the average was probably somewhat much lower, and that was indeed probably per node because it just wouldn't make any sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transform ... f_the_Moon
In Revenge of the Fallen, it took 72 hours per frame to fully render Devastator for the IMAX format, which is approximately a frame amount of 4,000.

For the Driller, which required the entire render farm, it was up to 122 hours per frame.

The most complex scene involved the Driller destroying a computer-generated skyscraper, which took 288 hours per frame.
It was in Imax res, yet 70h/fr would still be like 1 month for 10 frames on one machine, which despite the immense complexity, can still sound rather inefficient even back then.

Yet it's not necessarily surprising, it's quite commonplace for efficiency in general to be inversely proportional to how much resources are available.