Interested in Houdini tutorials?

New plugins, tools etc.
nodeway

Interested in Houdini tutorials?

Post by nodeway » 24 Nov 2014, 17:53

Hello lost children.

Are you still lost in Houdini land?
Do you miss some tools you had in Soft, but they are absent in Houdini?

If so, give me a shout there => http://forums.odforce.net/topic/21333-what-if/.

See you!

ronaldomiranda

Re: Interested in Houdini tutorials?

Post by ronaldomiranda » 18 Apr 2015, 11:02

Hey thanks for the offer!

I am really interested about making water simulations.
I have been trying to figure out how to make white water.
Seems so complicated to me, and the tutorials out there are no clear to me :)

Any plans on making something like that in the future?

Thanks again

Ronaldo

nodeway

Post by nodeway » 19 Apr 2015, 18:02

In the topic link in my first post there are more than enough ideas that can be explored. With amount of free time I have I don't think I will fit there more stuff.

I'm not a big fan of DOPs tutorials that shows one particular thing. The reason why is, they don't explain how data is transfered in DOPs, and that doesn't help people to understand why they should do many things. They will just learn "monkey see, monkey do", but "what monkey will do, when monkey can't see?".
So if I would do any DOPs tutorial, I would make one about microsolvers and passing/creating/modifying data in DOPs. But it would probably take 30h+. It's very time consuming and I don't remember myself everything, so I would have to take time and revisit many things. But I don't plan on doing it :)

But there are couple nice DOP tutorials out there. CGSociety got one good and quite deep about Destruction in Houdini. I would start there. DOPs are really deep topic so it's really important to build strong fundaments of knowledge to work comfortably in them.

NNois

Post by NNois » 22 Apr 2015, 09:59

Personnaly i think we miss tutorial like the ones by Rohan Dalvi or well explained stuff like stuff of Keith Johnson on Vimeo.

Houdini seems a fantastic replacement for softimage but we need to feel how to deal with this new way of doing things and if possible skip the part when you fail in a middle of a job because you're not ready...

nodeway

Post by nodeway » 22 Apr 2015, 13:45

CHOPs, DOPS microsolvers and HDK are three topics not covered deeply anywhere. White spots never done before by anyone. And all require a lot of time to develop.

CHOPS - if you have no experience with music, you will have hard time understanding many concepts there. Also, this is not something that you may find in other applications, not graphic ones, so that's another problem.
DOPS microsolvers - there is shitload of them, with even bigger shitload of parameters on them, so yeah, you better know WTF is happening in DOPS or you will sink in them with your simulation. (This is why I understand why FumeFX and Max is so popular, nice and easy)
HDK - documentation is still not good, althrough it's better than before (or maybe that's only my feeling since I'm no longer noob in it?), plus you have to know programming concepts quite well to not get lost.

dwigfor

Post by dwigfor » 28 Apr 2015, 20:42

I could use some more help with Groups.

For instance, say you have a polygon tube and you add some edge loops around it. How can you increase the number of divisions of the tube while maintaining the edge selections for the loops (via groups).

Thanks,
-Dave

PS. NNois, I think I found the 'Pooby' of Houdini on Vimeo - Peter Quint - https://vimeo.com/user2030228 - 151 videos

nodeway

Post by nodeway » 29 Apr 2015, 00:32

Concept of groups independent of mesh resolution is called Soft Groups, if my memory doesn't fail me, and it's not implemented :D.

You can try GroupTransferSOP or (if it fails) transfering attributes. But with edges I would't count on big success. How would you maintain edges after resolution change? The edges will not be there anymore, so? This will be always approximation.

nodeway

Post by nodeway » 29 Apr 2015, 17:24

BTW. NNois, I think that you were interested in this script for 3dsmax, right? => http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149508

NNois

Post by NNois » 29 Apr 2015, 22:00

mantragora wrote:BTW. NNois, I think that you were interested in this script for 3dsmax, right? => http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149508
not at all, what makes you think about that ?

i'm more interested by real world small production example. Too much materials related yo Houdini Volume/ Houdini Simulation and very few standard 3d work examples, like the one rohan dalvi did. But he even scratch the surface of what's possible in 3d without involving simulation or fxs

nodeway

Post by nodeway » 29 Apr 2015, 23:28

Ohh, I found topic and it was @MauricioPC ;)