Tea and Cookies with Houdini training

New plugins, tools etc.
dalvirohan

Tea and Cookies with Houdini training

Post by dalvirohan » 03 May 2014, 07:46

Hello Everyone,

This is my first solo 2 part commercial training in Houdini.

I had previously created the Houdini Mograph training for CMIVFX.

Trailer

The training is mainly targeted towards beginners or anyone who wishes to transition to houdini.

The aim of this commercial training is to take you through the process of creating the "Tea and Cookies" image, all the way from modeling to render and even the final color grading entirely in Houdini from scratch. This should help you gain a better perspective towards using Houdini as your primary tool for creating 3d content.

The training will take you through various aspects of Houdini including, Polygonal Modeling, Procedural modeling, Dynamics, Shader Building, Lighting, Rendering and Color Grading.

Part 1 deals with modeling of the content
Part 2 deals with lights, materials , rendering and color correction in Houdini COPS

Given below in the link to the training. Head on over to the website go through the descriptions of the lessons and see if it is something that will be helpful to you.

Details-
Duration - 6 hours total
No. of videos - 19
Houdini files are included.

link
http://www.rohandalvi.net/commercial/

I also have a bunch of free Houdini tuts on my site.
http://www.rohandalvi.net/free/

regards
Rohan Dalvi
http://www.rohandalvi.net/
Attachments
The final render
The final render

Bullit

Re: Tea and Cookies with Houdini training

Post by Bullit » 04 May 2014, 08:44

Interesting, i very much like this kind of tutorials that span a whole project.
This is a personal grip with video tutorials so take it as you like, but please don't promote the video by how much hours is it. Promote what you teach, what the user will know at the end of the tutorial not how many minutes. It is irrelevant. Less minutes the better for the same depth.

I am not convinced by Houdini yet, i need to get a feedback they will go also appeal for ease of use.
I am not a kid with infinite patience anymore, i also grow somewhat disappointed with software in general. Not only DCC, but in DCC area i only see the render engines fullfiling what i would expect 10 years ago, maybe even a bit more. All the rest is in somewhat depressing state.

dalvirohan

Post by dalvirohan » 04 May 2014, 10:26

Thank you for your suggestions. It's my first time promoting my videos. I just wanted to give as much information as possible. I will keep your suggestions in mind next time I make a trailer.

As far as Houdini is concerned, It very much depends upon your work and requirements. Honestly speaking, the learning curve is definitely steeper than any other 3d software out there. But, once you get past the logic of a procedural node based workflow, the benefits are most definitely there. ( Ease of use is not one of Houdini's strong points :) ) Softimage is far more easier. But having said that , once you understand the procedural workflow, it's very difficult to go back to any other 3d software. I do say that from experience. I have been a 3dsmax user since the 3d studio days on DOS.

The reason for this tutorial was to give the viewer a better idea of how to use Houdini as a normal DCC software and not just some high end VFX tool.

I would suggest looking at the tuts that sidefx has on their website sidefx.com. Their First steps and next step tuts are a great place to start. Those can help you decide if it's the kind of software that you would like to add to your arsenal.

regards
Rohan Dalvi

milanvasek

Post by milanvasek » 04 May 2014, 22:56

It looks great :-bd
If I move to Houdini one day (because Softimage stops working or something like that) this will be probably perfect way to get to know the software. Bookmark saved :)
Milan Vasek
ceramic artist & softimage fan
http://www.milanvasek.com

dalvirohan

Post by dalvirohan » 05 May 2014, 05:54

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the compliment.

That is a wonderful thing to say. :)

I sincerely hope that you do wish to learn Houdini someday.

regards
Rohan Dalvi

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 05 May 2014, 06:47

I agree this kind of tuts that span every step of a project are the best to learn an application.

ronaldomiranda

Post by ronaldomiranda » 07 May 2014, 22:47

I just think the first things someone is reallyh interested in houdini its FX in general.
Like explosions, fire, smoke, debris, water, particles.

of course in any stage of this they will get into rendering.
But i think , like me, i have seen a lack of tutorials of that nature
(although Cmifx have released some new that must had changed it).