New plugins, tools etc.
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Substance Painter Video Teaser

Post by Hirazi Blue » 04 Dec 2013, 20:52

Allegorithmic released a teaser video of Substance Painter
which is about to go into beta Q1 2014
PARTICLE BRUSHES
How much time do you spend making your assets look real by adding wear and tear manually? What could be better than using real physics to replicate nature's work in a fast and awesome way?

3D & 2D PAINTING
Painting textures should be simple. We want to give you the set of tools you actually need, in a clean, uncluttered UI.

100% NON DESTRUCTIVE
In an ideal pipeline, nothing should ever be destructive. Every action, every stroke in Substance Painter can be modified afterward at any time.

MULTI-CHANNELS BRUSHES
Modern texturing is all about the different maps you have to create. Paint on all your channels at the same time, whatever these may be.

AUTOMATIC UV REPROJECTION
Modify your UVs whenever you feel like it, Substance Painter will reproject everything you've already painted automatically for you.

UNIFIED MATERIAL LAYERS STACK
Tired of endless layer stacks? Have all your maps unified in one layer only and edit them all at once or separately.

PBR PREVIEW
No blind editing, paint directly on your fully shaded mesh to make sure every material definition fits perfectly.

LIVE LINK WITH SUBSTANCE DESIGNER 4
Shared assets libraries, live update, deep painting and compositing integration... We believe Substance 4, with the combination of Painter and Designer, can become the all-in-one tool for texture artists.

PARAMETRIC BRUSHES
Use Substance Designer to create parametric and procedural brushes and effects.
(Quoted from here, because it's easier to quote from there than from the product page :D )
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

rray

Re: Substance Painter Video Teaser

Post by rray » 04 Dec 2013, 21:41

Interesting! I'm sure that except for the interactive part the sim painting could be done with Helge's PixelParticles .. assumed good enough knowledge of ICE :-t
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 04 Dec 2013, 22:25

That reminds me. I was going to try doing exactly that. I may give it a go

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 04 Dec 2013, 23:57

So something like this could have been made with ICE?

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 05 Dec 2013, 00:10

you could do the weathering effects with ICE for sure.

nuverian

Post by nuverian » 05 Dec 2013, 01:23

Why almost everything posted here gets an answer "this could be done with ICE"
Guys, its a texture painting software (of course you know that). I mean...it's..different
Anyway
Portfolio / Blog
http://www.nuverian.net

csaez

Post by csaez » 05 Dec 2013, 02:04

nuverian wrote:Why almost everything posted here gets an answer "this could be done with ICE"
lol, because of the TD within us :)

Anyway, most of these responses are all about the core functionality... so yep, of course we can do this using PixelParticles, but we can't bring that user experience (and for some tools UX is everything).

Falam

Post by Falam » 05 Dec 2013, 05:07

It's nice. Although to use ICE to add weathering to objects for texturing, would speed things up for me.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 05 Dec 2013, 10:20

nuverian wrote:Why almost everything posted here gets an answer "this could be done with ICE"
Guys, its a texture painting software (of course you know that). I mean...it's..different
Anyway
Quoted for agreement. The "this could be done with ICE" simply is our way of desperately clinging to its (and Softimages) relevancy. I have no doubt this can be done in ICE, BTW, I however highly doubt, if it were to be efficient, feasible and user-friendly that way.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 05 Dec 2013, 10:54

Hirazi Blue wrote: Quoted for agreement. The "this could be done with ICE" simply is our way of desperately clinging to its (and Softimages) relevancy. I have no doubt this can be done in ICE, BTW, I however highly doubt, if it were to be efficient, feasible and user-friendly that way.
Quoted for disagreement Its just a reminder of the fact we have such a powerful tool at our disposal. Softimage's relevancy is a subjective thing as long as the app itself is around.

There is no desparation from my side at least, and the fact that you can do it within ICE has huge workflow benefits that doing it in an external app doesnt.

gaboraa

Post by gaboraa » 05 Dec 2013, 11:13

Pooby wrote: Quoted for disagreement Its just a reminder of the fact we have such a powerful tool at our disposal. Softimage's relevancy is a subjective thing as long as the app itself is around.
For my humble opinion, I think hirazi is right substance is best for its procedural shaders and cannot be simple reproduced in Ice. If anyone tries to reproduce such thing with ICE, it should be like a combination of Enhance:XSI with Fxtree. So it is just a fantastic dream never to be fulfilled.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 05 Dec 2013, 11:29

Great question, I think it describes the essence :) of usual misunderstanding. I mean nuverian's question is great.
Just personally, found some ICE techniques quite usable for texture work, like assigning vertex colors to polygon islands, marking area covered with snow, so on. Especially usable with very detailed objects, tree or like. However, nothing that can't be done in another apps in some way, or even by render-mapping in SI (marking the snow). Unfortunately I always been too lazy to launch simulation just to get the texture, but that's just me.

Back to topic, some of these Substance simulated textures are looking a bit artificial, imho.
Also, even simulation should be a 'proper' way to get the texture, which is already result of long process in nature - would be interesting to see, how many people will have patience to wait, even small time.

rray

Post by rray » 05 Dec 2013, 13:41

That simulation painting part of this software is a great use case for pixel particles+ICE, so why not consider using it for that.
I don't think anyone was thinking about ICE to replace a texture painting software.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 05 Dec 2013, 13:51

Yes. And its quite easy to do, too. I just tried it and it works a treat

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 05 Dec 2013, 14:24

Just to add a bit of details to my previous post. Blender has feature similar to pixel particles, for more than one year. It's called 'dynamic paint' - by proximity to some object, including particles, dynamic paint can modify the surface, directly. Or, in 'canvas mode', it's able to write bitmap, according to UV.
From my tests, with output of 2048*2048, it's still reasonably fast.
But, in huge community with a lot of available free time, hard to find more than "usual" usage, like wet maps after water simulation, drawing, so on.
Anyway who knows, maybe these Substance examples, means the beggining of new trend :)

nuverian

Post by nuverian » 05 Dec 2013, 16:12

Pooby wrote: Quoted for disagreement Its just a reminder of the fact we have such a powerful tool at our disposal. Softimage's relevancy is a subjective thing as long as the app itself is around.

There is no desparation from my side at least, and the fact that you can do it within ICE has huge workflow benefits that doing it in an external app doesnt.
I still think its impossible though regardless original reason.
It needs relevant workflow for painting texture maps (diffuse, normal, spec, emmision etc), with easy preview for all, with blending layer control and a nice (wacom enabled) brush flow and image editing tools for the textures...At LEAST

It's not only about that particle simulation and the technical aspects but rather more about the artisic freedom and workflow an application allows.
You can't paint a texture map by connecting compounts!
Portfolio / Blog
http://www.nuverian.net