Free Fur tools

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

FuzzAuthor: Paul Smith
A set of compounds along with a script that automates the setup of this ICE based system for realistic fur. Features automatic flow computation from a starting selection of points, as well as paintable ridges (matting effect) and clumping of the fur.

After the initial application, the fur remains configurable, including curved based modification of the flow. This plugin is a good example of how to use scripting to deploy ICE based tools for users that don't have a deep knowledge of ICE. On the same topic, have a look at Paul's ongoing scripting tutorial series on his vimeo channel.

Post any renders you create with this plugin in the si-community thread linked below. Also available: An introduction video (with a tip bucket).

local backup: fuzz.zip (follow the included instructions to install)

New plugins, tools etc.
julca

Re: Free Fur tools

Post by julca » 29 Nov 2013, 12:59

Hello Paul,
Thanks you for this tool !
I'll put hairs everywhere now :ymparty: !
Pooby wrote: I really recommend "Technical Direction in XSI with Python Scripting with Raffaele Fragapane". its a very clear and well constructed course
http://tod.cgsociety.org/index.php/courses
I'm currently listening this courses and i confirm that it's very clear and well structured !

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 30 Nov 2013, 20:45

So has anyone here got any convincing results shading/rendering this in MR? And if so, what does it take?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

NNois

Post by NNois » 30 Nov 2013, 22:31

Hi,
I think Paul is using Arnold and since Arnold and Mr don't deal exactly the same with strands, there might be some problems...
(the first strand point in MR IS the particle position but in Arnold it's the first strand position...)

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 30 Nov 2013, 22:45

I'm afraid I haven't tested it in mental ray as I've never used MR, but I can take a look at making sure its working ok for the next version. If its not, it will be an easy fix I'm sure.
I have an update anyway, which fixes an animation related issue.

rray

Post by rray » 07 Dec 2013, 20:28

A snowtick..as found on polar bears .. Thank you for sharing this compound!
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 08 Dec 2013, 00:05

hee hee. Nice!

Its great to see renders done with Fuzz!!

By the way. If anyone gets fizzing hair flickering issues in renders.(strange as they dont show in the viewport) I have overwritten the Fur compound (on dropbox) with a fixed version.

Paul

Falam

Post by Falam » 08 Dec 2013, 03:31

It looks like a plush toy !

I'm not giving any advice with what I'm about to say, throwing it out there. :) One thing I've learned is, it is best to 'clear your head' from CG/Design so you can come back and you'll get a fresh perspective, and hopefully you don't look at it and say to yourself, 'what was I thinking', as I've done a few times :)

rray

Post by rray » 17 Apr 2014, 18:37

Something done with this plugin:

(Link tip: A number of very nice tech demos on on YUJAEHO's channel)
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

ronaldomiranda

Post by ronaldomiranda » 23 Apr 2014, 20:29

God bless you man, this is a great share!