Strand Collision Framework

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Strand Collision FrameworkAuthor: Mathias Nordskog
updated for Softimage 2015. This set of ICE nodes simulates inter-strand collisions as well as strand self-collisions. Fwiw the author declares it to be in a »useable enough« state — see the demonstration video to get an impression of its speed and stability.

[..] Usage should be largely self-explanatory, with the zip containing a number of example scenes. The length correction factor before collision takes place corresponds to the bidirectional length correction in the original strand dynamics framework. Think of it was a wobbliness factor. A lot of the compounds have a Range input. These compounds are driven by various values, usually the collision force. We divide the input by the range value and clamp it between 0 and 1, so a range of 10 and an input value of 1 would give you 0.1, or a 10% effect. The lower the range the stronger the effect, with 0 disabling it completely.

Read more in the thread linked below, including usage and the limitations

local backup: StrandCollisionFramework_2015.xsiaddon (includes patch from si-commmunity thread) scf-demo_scenes.zip (demo scenes)

New plugins, tools etc.
adrencg

Re: Strand Collision Framework

Post by adrencg » 19 May 2014, 00:59

This is great and it seems to work perfectly for hair once the emitter is set to segments instead of capsules.

Is there a way to taper the ends?

CYTE

Post by CYTE » 20 Oct 2016, 21:36

Hey Roughy,
your strand collision framework is really amazing!
is there a way to enable selfcollision and collsion with other objets at the same time?
cheers
CYTE

Roughy

Post by Roughy » 04 Nov 2016, 07:22

CYTE wrote:Hey Roughy,
your strand collision framework is really amazing!
is there a way to enable selfcollision and collsion with other objets at the same time?
cheers
CYTE
You can just add a second Collide Strands compound directly beneath it, and use that to collide with any other strand geometry: http://i.imgur.com/1S97000.png

At least it seems to work. It's been a long time since I've touched this plugin, and I have no recollection of trying this.

Pardon the belated reply; I don't visit these parts very often anymore.

CYTE

Post by CYTE » 07 Nov 2016, 09:23

Hey Roughy,
thanks alot!