LK Fabric from Leonard Koch

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

LK FabricAuthor: Leonard Koch
A large toolset of over 50 nodes for creating/animating the creation of fabric down to the threads and even to the fiber level. introduction video.

[..] it supports motionblur, strand-texturing directly in ICE, fabric flowing over multiple surfaces and many more things. This tool has come out of a series of commercials for Nike, which I got to work on at Royale this summer. They have graciously allowed me to share this tool-set with the community. Major thanks for that! Big thanks also go to Billy Morrison, Ciaran Moloney, Steven Caron and Andy Moorer who provided pages and pages of feedback during production and then used the tools to create all the pretty images.

Andy did a nice write-up about the production on the Softimage-mailing-list
[..] (continue reading on the download page)

Watch these two spots on vimeo which are extensively featuring this plugin: Nike Tech Fleece / Nike Evolution.

New plugins, tools etc.
Bullit

Re: LK Fabric from Leonard Koch

Post by Bullit » 23 Oct 2013, 17:09

Thanks Andy for explanations and the tip about strand scale, also Leonard for added input.

Added: it only works with Nurbs isn't it? - Nevermind of course with UV's...

Added2: since i am a :ymdevil: person i was trying to break it, so i put a 90º step and passed the trap with flying colors.

Leo

Post by Leo » 26 Oct 2013, 07:46

Bullit wrote:Thanks Andy for explanations and the tip about strand scale, also Leonard for added input.

Added: it only works with Nurbs isn't it? - Nevermind of course with UV's...

Added2: since i am a :ymdevil: person i was trying to break it, so i put a 90º step and passed the trap with flying colors.
Hah! ;)
Glad to hear that you are starting to get some good results with the tool.
Let me know if you come up with anything you'd like to show off, I'd love to put it up on the site.

And yes, it is unfortunately only fir nurbs, which tend to work quite well in this sort of context.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 03 Nov 2013, 21:49

Thanks. I have been busy so just tried with a closed surface. The image only shows the U, V obviously starts in the imaginary line between first point of each curve.
With care i think it can be made just start where the U already started to not appear that it started from nothing.
Clipboard-1.jpg

vektrex

Post by vektrex » 14 Jan 2014, 17:49

Hi, first of all thumbs up for the plugin, it is great!
I'm building some carpets, I want to drive the strands color with a texture map of the grid emitter but the result is a randomization of the texture colors onto the strands, can u help?
Thanks.

Leo

Post by Leo » 15 Jan 2014, 00:10

Glad you are liking the plugin.
What you are trying to do is trivial in theory.
You just need to get the "LKF Get Strandcolor from TextureMap" compound, connect the geometry with the texture map on it and connect that to the strand color port.
I assume you are already doing that.
The reason that it looks like each strand has a random color from the texture-map is, that softimage can't display strandcolor (an individual color for every strand segment) and instead just displays the particle's color.
The particle color, just like the color of the strand segment is set to the color of the texture map at the closest location on the geometry.
So datawise everything is in order, but it displays the particle color data for the whole strand, that's why it looks random.
Unfortunately neither softimage's viewport nor its default renderer mentalray can render strandcolor, even though almost all the built-in strand compounds support it.
The superior Arnold however does. That is what we used in production. I think I remember that vray does as well, but I'm not sure.

Tldr: MentalRay&Softimage don't support Strandcolor. You have to use Arnold to render it.

vektrex

Post by vektrex » 15 Jan 2014, 00:36

Thank you Leo, I'm using arnold, I made a mistake in the color attribute of the pointcloud material.
Now it looks correct.
Again, compliments for your work, it's really useful, I'm designing some patterns on fabrics, your addon came in the perfect time! :)
Looking forward to see some news from your work. Keep going!

missingkey

Post by missingkey » 07 Feb 2014, 18:49

Hi Leonard, this is great stuff! many Thanks!

I'm probably the only linuxMint / Softimage user out there, but I'd be happy to have a go at compiling for mint/ubuntu systems...

Thanks again!

NNois

Post by NNois » 07 Feb 2014, 21:02

Leo

Post by Leo » 07 Feb 2014, 22:21

Yeah, a linux compile for CentOS is now available in the downloads section of my site.
Here: http://leonardkoch.com/download/
Thanks for this goes to Ruben Vandebroek and Jeffrey Dates from The Mill.

If you want to compile LKF for another linux distro please let me know, so I can make the source available to you.