Falam

Re: Jeremie Passerin training video

Post by Falam » 30 Sep 2013, 22:20

Including myself :) It's a truce.

jpasserin

Post by jpasserin » 18 Oct 2013, 21:00

Hey guys,

I don't come here very often, so I didn't see this topic.
But let me know if you have any question about it ;-)

11 hours is long and to be honest with you I'm only showing half of the stuff I wanted to show in the beginning... because I didn't want this to be boring and/or endless. There is a lot more I could go thru.

Hope you'll like it

J.

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 18 Oct 2013, 22:38

Hi Jeremie,

I have your training. I haven't got that far, but as a newcomer to coding I really got excited when you were explaining the fundamentals of python as it started to make sense to me and I was grasping it. I felt confident I would crack scripting this time.
However, then when it immediately afterward got to setting up modules and libraries etc.(which in itself is a slightly alien concept to a complete newcomer, although I guess it's like a compound in ICE?) I feel it took a stratospheric rise in complexity and I spent the next hour or so getting increasingly lost and despondent. Not due to your training ability, I might add, but just the order in which the concepts were shown. The learning curve shot up so steeply I felt like I hit a wall.

I will return and go over and over it until it sinks in, but I can't help but think it would have benefitted from a chapter in between that eases you into simple scripting examples within softimage before you have to worry about setting all that up.

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 18 Oct 2013, 22:41

Falam wrote:Including myself :) It's a truce.
It would only be a truce, if everyone here insulted you personally, which will not happen, as most people have a bit more class than that.

jpasserin

Post by jpasserin » 18 Oct 2013, 23:28

Yeah I totally see what you mean Pooby.
This is why I say I only cover half of the thing I wanted to cover at first. :(
And in the end I wasn't sure if we should advertise the video to be beginner or intermediate level.

Though, I believe that there is no better way to learn than to dig into it and try to create something even if you don't understand all of it. So I figure out that building this complete system that is still rather simple would give a goal to anyone willing to learn Python.
I did some python courses to students and explaining Class, inheritance, attributes and methods without any real use of it is making the things very abstract to people who have no experience. I don't think you can fully understand the power of inheritance until you start building something and you realize you could reuse most of your code if it was better organized.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback, I'll try to take note of that in the future and if you have any question about Python and/or what you see in those videos, please feel free to drop me an email.

Good luck with the training.

Jeremie

Falam

Post by Falam » 19 Oct 2013, 01:53

Pooby wrote:
Falam wrote:Including myself :) It's a truce.
It would only be a truce, if everyone here insulted you personally, which will not happen, as most people have a bit more class than that.
It doesn't have to be an direct insult it can be an indirect insult.

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 19 Oct 2013, 03:07

Falam, please drop it as you are apparently completely unaware of what you've said and how it is being perceived by others. You are now polluting this thread. No need to reply as it will just make the thread veer off course.

Everyone just simply drop it.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

Falam

Post by Falam » 19 Oct 2013, 06:34

I'm to blame, right Eric.

A man does what a man is suppose to do.
Last edited by Falam on 19 Oct 2013, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 19 Oct 2013, 10:48

@Falam - This is not about who's to blame for anything, this is about you "polluting this thread",
as EricTRocks put it, with which I agree. So please quit it!
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 19 Oct 2013, 11:47

jpasserin wrote:Yeah I totally see what you mean Pooby.
This is why I say I only cover half of the thing I wanted to cover at first. :(
And in the end I wasn't sure if we should advertise the video to be beginner or intermediate level.

Edit for brevity

Good luck with the training.

Jeremie
Thanks very much for the reply. I totally can see the logic in first making it clear that code should be organised, and I think you are a good teacher. My problem is only in the order of presentation.
I'd pay double the amount again though, for an introductory "idiots guide" to coding in softimage, where it is aimed at somebody with no experience whatsoever.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 19 Oct 2013, 18:42

I don't know if it's an "idiot's guide", but over at the CGSociety they have an older course by Raffaele Fragapane on offer as a Training on Demand called "Technical Direction in XSI with Python Scripting". I haven't tried this myself, but it looks quite thorough...

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 19 Oct 2013, 18:47

It is very thorough and I took the actual workshop that the videos were made for. It goes from nothing to intermediate and I think is an essential buy for anyone wanting to learn programming in Softimage. I'm a bit biased since I took the class myself and then worked under Raf last year at Animal. However I can say with certainty that the course helped me advance my python programming knowledge that has gotten me to where I am today.

I haven't seen Jeremie's material but from what I'm hearing the two may play well together.
Eric Thivierge

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 19 Oct 2013, 19:49

Thanks. How do those courses work? I thought they ran in 'realtime' ; as in with a live teacher. Can you purchase them after they have run their course? In which case what do you get?
Edit. Ok I just read the FAQ

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 19 Oct 2013, 19:57

for everyone else wondering, Raf and CG Workshops have turned the Workshop into a Training on Demand service. You pay for access to the videos and select forum threads from the various times the workshop actually ran. You don't have one on one interaction with Raf but you get the same videos we were provided during the course and the selected forum topics as guides as well to help work through the videos and other suggested assignments along the way.
Eric Thivierge

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 20 Oct 2013, 10:53

I bought Raffaeles training last night, to help me over this first hill. I went through a hour or so of it, and was very impressed at how it assumes you know nothing, but keeps the pace quick and the learning curve smooth (so far).
I just want to make it clear that I don't want to come across like I'm saying that it's better than Jeremies. It's just im easily confused and distractd and that for me, at this stage, what I need is for everything to be as laid out and beginner-friendly as possible.

Then moving onto Jeremies, rig-building focussed training will be the ideal next step.
I think between the two of them, I'm going to end up with no excuses this time.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 20 Oct 2013, 13:41

As I myself have just gotten around to the first chapter after the introduction to Python I totally see your point. My situation is a little different as I am an "advanced beginner" in Python, not an "absolute" one. But it's obvious that there is something amiss with the learning curve of this training, if you start it with no prior knowledge of Python. This could however be easily fixed by adding "minimal knowledge of Python required" to the marketing blurb. As a quick review of the Python tools needed personally I found the Python chapter quite helpful, but I (should) know all this stuff already, so my perception has been altered in this regard...
And as a disclaimer: brilliant training nonetheless...