Jeremie Passerin training video

New plugins, tools etc.
Falam

Re: Jeremie Passerin training video

Post by Falam » 20 Oct 2013, 15:06

Pooby wrote:I bought Raffaeles training last night, to help me over this first hill. I went through a hour or so of it, and was very impressed at how it assumes you know nothing, but keeps the pace quick and the learning curve smooth (so far).
I just want to make it clear that I don't want to come across like I'm saying that it's better than Jeremies. It's just im easily confused and distractd and that for me, at this stage, what I need is for everything to be as laid out and beginner-friendly as possible.

Then moving onto Jeremies, rig-building focussed training will be the ideal next step.
I think between the two of them, I'm going to end up with no excuses this time.
How did you grasp ICE as fast as you did, on your own or will a little help from a tutorial ?

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 20 Oct 2013, 16:07

I initially found ICE to be impenetrable too as there were no beginner tutorials that assumed you knew nothing. (That's not the case nowadays. There are tons of ICE tutorials)
I just started by spending a few days dissecting some compounds, unplugging bits and changing parameters etc and seeing what it did. The fundamentals of what a vector was and how to change them just clicked after a while, and there is a lot you can do with a little knowledge.
Then it was a matter of adding extra tricks by figuring out what locations did. What arrays were etc. I just broke it down bit by bit. Most of my learning is parrallel to my tutorials.
In many of them, id only just worked that particular concept for myself. When I started the first one, I was pretty new to ICE myself. I'm still learning new tricks all the time, and most of these will be relevant to scripting too, I feel learning ICE is a good way of getting your head around the concept of programming.
For some reason, I currently find scripting far more opaque, but I'm pretty confident Ill be making stuff with it soon.

Edit.. I just remembered that I did buy Thiago Costa's ICE training, after a couple of weeks, which I found really helpful.
Last edited by Pooby on 21 Oct 2013, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 20 Oct 2013, 16:13

@Pooby, I think that after you learn a good amount of programming you'll be finding yourself saying "ah.... so that make sense now..." about some the ICE stuff. Please post away in the programming section for any of your questions while learning.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 13 Nov 2013, 13:34

EricTRocks wrote:@Pooby, I think that after you learn a good amount of programming you'll be finding yourself saying "ah.... so that make sense now..." about some the ICE stuff. Please post away in the programming section for any of your questions while learning.
Youre right. I think I've cracked it now for the most part. (well, the complete bafflement part, anyway. It now makes some sense to me)