GEAR_mc

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

GEAR_mcAuthor: Miquel Campos
Miquel Campos of TD Survival fame is actively continuing development on Jeremie Passerin's popular modular rigging toolset for his personal work and his work at Shed Montreal. With the original GEAR no longer being in development, GEAR_mc can be viewed as GEAR 2.0 even though today it's officially still a project fork.

GEAR is an open source project to provide a complete and production quality toolset for rigging and animation inside Autodesk Softimage. It includes a lot of things to ease the rigging and animation workflows. Anyone should be able to build custom rigs using GEAR. It has been designed to be flexible and relatively easy to use. Even non-riggers can create advanced rigs and animate them easily, but the system is also open to further expansion so TDs can create their own »components« and use them inside of the GEAR Rigging System. Furthermore, everything is accessible through scripting with a complete API to automate as much as possible.

What's new
[in GEAR_mc]: New Menu re-arrange New Facial components New options for icon creator Selection sets and poseLib not part of Gear poseLib should work now in Linux (but not tested) Zipper tool for curves New solvers Wireframe color tool Guides support for store wireframe color New commands for inspect Guides PPG and solvers options Command for merge symmetry mapping templates.

Miquel demoing some of the additions to GEAR_mc: Installation / Icons / Zipper / Wireframe Colorizer / Solvers. Original GEAR Videos are available on Jeremie's blog and original GEAR page as well as on Jeremie's vimeo channel. Note this plugins includes the »Shed Tools« addon (below).

local backup: GEAR_mc-1.0.15.zip

New plugins, tools etc.
Draise

Re: GEAR_mc

Post by Draise » 24 Apr 2014, 01:45

I had to re-install to W8.1 and tried out SI 2015, but now I have an error: my PYTHONPATH and/or PATH Variables are working, but not all the GEAR modules are loading.

I get the following error:

Code: Select all

# ERROR : Traceback (most recent call last):
# File "", line 34, in
# from gear.xsi import xsi, c, lm, XSIMath, XSIFactory
# ImportError: cannot import name lm
# - [line 34 in X:\XX\GEAR_mc-master\workgroup\Addons\gear\Application\Plugins\gear_selectionTools.py]
For the majority of the major python scripts I'd love to use... only some of them.

Why would that be?

Draise

Post by Draise » 24 Apr 2014, 02:56

Figured it out, just re-installed python (and deleted the old python files).

Haimund

Post by Haimund » 07 Jun 2014, 06:54

Hi, there.
I don't know if anyone has the same problem, but when I use this, sometimes arms and legs flip or pop.
Does anyone know how to prevent or fix this?

mirkoj

Post by mirkoj » 08 Jun 2014, 15:55

during animation and viewport playback or when rendering characters?
If it is 2nd one then I run into that couple times and only solution was to cache animation and render out cached and not rigged characters.
Viewport flipping don't remember seeing really...

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 08 Jun 2014, 16:03

Typically it is unwise to render live characters. You should always cache, then render.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

Haimund

Post by Haimund » 09 Jun 2014, 03:39

Sorry, what I mean is this, see the picture.
gearPop.gif
And yes, I do encountered sometimes when it renders, the legs flip. The way I solve it is just open the file and render it instead of send to render farm. Because I don't want to have a lot of files each time and since it stay good in viewport……but thank you.

mirkoj

Post by mirkoj » 29 Mar 2016, 21:19

hey guys
I know this is ooold thread but still.. I never got chance to take some time and dig deeper into mc fork of gear.
But I'm mostly interested in facial parts as I assume the rest is same as with original gear.
Anyone could give some feedback, using it around and stuff?
Thanks

Draise

Post by Draise » 29 Mar 2016, 21:21

I've use the facial rigs a lot. They lips and mouth are really awesome. They eyes are alright, the eyebrows a bit strange, but they work.

I like it, prefer this version over the GEAR version.

Easier to install too.

mirkoj

Post by mirkoj » 29 Mar 2016, 21:58

thanks.
easier then installing addon? :)
honestly part of pushing away was all that github things and stuff.. hehe will look into it :)
thanks!

Draise

Post by Draise » 29 Mar 2016, 22:00

Well just creating the Workgroup, I guess.. yeah. Ok, addons are rediculously easy.

I did have a spine problem a couple of times on multiple rigs, but that might be my rig setup when I build it all.

But I do consider this a step up over GEAR, specially with it's new solvers.

NNois

Post by NNois » 30 Mar 2016, 13:11

mirkoj wrote:thanks.
easier then installing addon? :)
With gears you have to also install python modules in you python install (or the soft one) and i think that's what Draise was talking about, right ?

mirkoj

Post by mirkoj » 03 Apr 2016, 17:13

just one more questions maybe it is answered there but I missed...
do you remove "old" gear and install only gear_mc and in that case do rigs made with GEAR works fine with only GEAR_MC installed as well?
Thanks

Draise

Post by Draise » 03 Apr 2016, 17:50

MC_GEAR is backwards compatible yeah, the old rigs work the same - as far as my experience goes.

I found it wise to uninstall GEAR though, I had a conflict once.

gaboraa

Post by gaboraa » 10 Oct 2016, 15:03

Hey guys,

Does anyone know how to animate tails on custom build rigs? I thought animating "body_C0_ctl" would enough for the dynamic tail simulation?

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 10 Oct 2016, 19:56

I've used this a few times for similar ends (or tails :p ),

There's a few things to setup which are covered in the clip, and are not bad after doing it once
which is great for secondary anim while retaining directability.

(see end-result from 3:40)

If it's what you're after, Look for "Strand Spring" on Rray

CYTE

Post by CYTE » 10 Oct 2016, 20:44

Or you could try mt_spring. it can also be found on rray.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_XhNmN_C2g
its not ice but easy to setup animateble while springy(!) and rocksolid!
i use it allways for stuff like tails or tentacles..
cheers
CYTE