User Guide Softimage 2014 online

New plugins, tools etc.
Falam

Re: User Guide Softimage 2014 online

Post by Falam » 25 Mar 2013, 22:26

Management stuff, I know that arena all to well that is what appears to be going on within Autodesk.

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 25 Mar 2013, 23:59

gustavoeb wrote:apparently SIs user guide is a "big hit" at CGTalk...
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread. ... ost7551092
SYmek sums it up nicely and ThE_JacO cuts right through the heart of the problem. It's incredible how circular the situation has became. And self defeating in the end. You've got an incredible volume of people who can't but follow where AD leads, and on the other hand, it is because there's such a volume that makes it possible for AD to lead practically nowhere. Having a choice of no choice is terrible place to be.

At least thats how i feel right now. I was hoping i can leave maya for good by this point but the thought of it's prevailing presence which just becomes higher and higher frankly depresses me. To say i feel no joy working in that thing is to be too kind...

I need a drink...

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 26 Mar 2013, 01:15

sonictk wrote: - less crashing when going ultra-fast-click-shit-the-deadline-is-in-2-hours mode
lol :p

t4d

Post by t4d » 26 Mar 2013, 05:06

EricTRocks wrote:
Paying for subscription is a no brainer for me. I get support and access to the new releases throughout the year. Which may include new features or just bug fixes. I have no expectations that I'm going to get a huge new feature with each version. I do expect changes and improvements but just because I have a subscription that doesn't mean I get to expect anything other than access to the new version and support. I suspect we've just gotten used to that but maybe we shouldn't have.

Is it a good business decision to let subscription lapse just to have to pick it up again down there road? What is the cost if you let it lapse for a year then pick it up again?
is it a good business decision or a "no brainer" to pay high for a low value subscription ?

it would be better to see this maybe with alittle distance since you are a plugin developer
IF autodesk does not give value to softimage customers there are less customers that will buy your plugins

Overseeing the drop in value in softimage hurts you far more then I think you realise.

brushing over it with "it will be alright don't worry" even tho updates have been worthless for the last 2 years, tho bugs have been fixed!!
Those 2 years cost the same amount as a full version !! .. customers see this it's clear, if you ignore this and ignore what autodesk is doing well THAT would not be a good business decision.

when people move to modo will your plugins be there ? maybe you should check modo 701 just released,. in 2 years time that's where your old customers will be... http://www.luxology.com/modo/701/tour/

there was only 1 seat of modo here (mine) now all the SI users here are happy to add this instead of softimage 2015.

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 26 Mar 2013, 14:23

EricTRocks wrote:
Paying for subscription is a no brainer for me. I get support and access to the new releases throughout the year. Which may include new features or just bug fixes. I have no expectations that I'm going to get a huge new feature with each version. I do expect changes and improvements but just because I have a subscription that doesn't mean I get to expect anything other than access to the new version and support. I suspect we've just gotten used to that but maybe we shouldn't have.

Is it a good business decision to let subscription lapse just to have to pick it up again down there road? What is the cost if you let it lapse for a year then pick it up again?
There was 1 service pack leaving still a lot of bugs that are not fixed today. No patches, nothing. Some other companies roll out fixes every two months

There was NO release last year between the major releases.

Support can very seldom do more than logging an issue or tell you a workaround that you most likely already know (which is not their fault!)

The expectations we have from our subscriptions are generated by AD themselves. It´s not called Advantage pack for no reason. If you wan´t people to give you money, you have to make promises, and keep them. Yes. AD made promises. The advantage pack itself was one. Surprisingly suddenly for Si there is none and for maya it´s called extension. Why may that be?

Also supporting a company that fails in so many ways in marketing and product management, a company that even tried and failed developing it´s own 3d application, and failed to acknowledge the dedication and affection cg artists have for their software like no one else and treating them accordingly, instead constantly kicking them into the butt, is a waste of money.
I'm now part of an endangered species...