User Guide Softimage 2014 online

New plugins, tools etc.
Superpositivo

Re: User Guide Softimage 2014 online

Post by Superpositivo » 24 Mar 2013, 15:15

Of course, but that was to lower the feeling of Softimage users being always in the back...

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 24 Mar 2013, 15:24

Superpositivo wrote:Mh! The Maya one doesn't seem so great, either. Some good updates on existing tools.
Hmmm... Feature for feature, there's no question where the resources have gone the last few years...

isxsi

Post by isxsi » 24 Mar 2013, 15:26

God I hate Autodesk... :-o

Superpositivo

Post by Superpositivo » 24 Mar 2013, 15:41

bottleofram wrote:
Superpositivo wrote:Mh! The Maya one doesn't seem so great, either. Some good updates on existing tools.
Hmmm... Feature for feature, there's no question where the resources have gone the last few years...
Yeah. Maya got some tools that were in Softimage since years. Now they have this new panel for modeling where you can select and edit more easily components and some tweak like the sliding components (the Tweak Tool with magnet icon active) and the Curvature Continuity for the edges.
I guess various Maya users won't use almost any of the new features. Well, I'm sure for some of them I know.

A funny thing:
I let see at two friends of mine (long time Maya users) the camera Sequencer of Softimage 2014. They said : "COOL! Very useful! Maybe they put it in Maya, too!"
I said "you already have it since 2 years!!! And it has even more features (like the EDL file to cut the clips)".
Answer : "Oh yeah? I didn't know, that. I never used it!".

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 24 Mar 2013, 15:44

Many new ICE compounds and nodes are introduced to provide more capabilities in the improved CrowdFX system. See the ICE Compounds and ICE Nodes topics in the ICE Reference to find out more information on the new ICE compounds and nodes.
Any idea how to find those new nodes?
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Superpositivo

Post by Superpositivo » 24 Mar 2013, 15:49

McNistor wrote:
Many new ICE compounds and nodes are introduced to provide more capabilities in the improved CrowdFX system. See the ICE Compounds and ICE Nodes topics in the ICE Reference to find out more information on the new ICE compounds and nodes.
Any idea how to find those new nodes?
I guess they are these:

http://download.autodesk.com/global/doc ... d30e353113

Actually they say the truth. There are many new ones, browsing them.
Last edited by Superpositivo on 24 Mar 2013, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.

ChrB

Post by ChrB » 24 Mar 2013, 15:50

New ICE stuff:
http://download.autodesk.com/global/docs/softimage2014/en_us/userguide/

So CUDA based rigid body simulation environment. That feature didn't exist, (or never worked before), right?
Arnold for the masses!

Superpositivo

Post by Superpositivo » 24 Mar 2013, 15:57

Interesting. The Crowd FX had the most of the attention.
It seems revamped, to the point that for legacy compounds in the documentation they write "This is a legacy compound, which you can use for the old CrowdFX system. ".
The last year's one is already old! I find it positive...

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 24 Mar 2013, 16:01

It looks like a few will enjoy this release (mostly studios that need crowds and/or Syflex), as for us grunts, there's not much added.

p.s. Maya's new modeling tools seem so disconnected because it's a slapped on plug. Do I understand correctly in that the toolset has a power On/Off button?
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

t4d

Post by t4d » 24 Mar 2013, 16:05

it's bad compared to other 3D packages,.. But SUPER COOL compared to what softimage got !!

Shameful autodesk Just shameful x_x ..

how much did i pay for that again !! b-( ,...We got more from third party FREE plugins like motion tools then what's in this release !

Yearly subscriptions are clearly NOT the way to get value from Autodesk software.
could have stayed on 2012 and would never have noticed or missed ANYTHING !! ~x(

Superpositivo

Post by Superpositivo » 24 Mar 2013, 16:11

The interesting thing, to me, is some of the work done on Softimage is not mentioned on the new features. An example is the they updated something in Lagoa and added the new node of "Emits Lagoa particles from a volume. " while they consider the Help a new feature.
Besides Lagoa that I never used considering it too slow, the NEW and UPDATES in the documentation show there is an eye in the road map for tools and features that maybe we given for forgotten. Am I too much optimistic?

Fer

Post by Fer » 24 Mar 2013, 16:27

Superpositivo wrote:The interesting thing, to me, is some of the work done on Softimage is not mentioned on the new features. An example is the they updated something in Lagoa and added the new node of "Emits Lagoa particles from a volume. " while they consider the Help a new feature.
Besides Lagoa that I never used considering it too slow, the NEW and UPDATES in the documentation show there is an eye in the road map for tools and features that maybe we given for forgotten. Am I too much optimistic?
Yep, more likely something happened down the road that stopped that famous quote from Mark to happen. Something like: "Hey Softimage team hold your horses, you need to save some features for SAP version... and 2015. and in the meantime can you help the Maya team a little bit, they kinda low on manpower.

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 24 Mar 2013, 16:54

It's just a good job that we are already a substantial way ahead of the pack, so at least we have quite a few years of breathing space.

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 24 Mar 2013, 17:07

You can now press Alt+click on the middle of either edge of a clip and drag in either direction to trim it interactively in the Animation Mixer.
Before you were using '[' and ']' for trimming a clip before and after with the time slider placed on a particular frame.
Now they added alt+click. Why do they waste time on such things it's beyond my power of comprehension.
-Thucydides

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 24 Mar 2013, 17:14

uhm Is it me or there is something wrong with the "Texturing" new feature?
I dont see any change from Softimage 2013, yet its listed as a new feature, speaking of Unfold.

here is a screengrab of softimage 2013 and the 2014 doc with whats new.

am I missing something?

regarding the whole release, its completely skippable to me and the work i do. So yeah, glad i didnt renew.

Falam

Post by Falam » 24 Mar 2013, 17:21

Pooby wrote:It's just a good job that we are already a substantial way ahead of the pack, so at least we have quite a few years of breathing space.
I agree. Continue as usual. The community needs to stop relying on Autodesk for assistance and rather, each other. :ymapplause: