User Guide Softimage 2014 online

New plugins, tools etc.
Superpositivo

Re: User Guide Softimage 2014 online

Post by Superpositivo » 24 Mar 2013, 16:11

The interesting thing, to me, is some of the work done on Softimage is not mentioned on the new features. An example is the they updated something in Lagoa and added the new node of "Emits Lagoa particles from a volume. " while they consider the Help a new feature.
Besides Lagoa that I never used considering it too slow, the NEW and UPDATES in the documentation show there is an eye in the road map for tools and features that maybe we given for forgotten. Am I too much optimistic?

Fer

Post by Fer » 24 Mar 2013, 16:27

Superpositivo wrote:The interesting thing, to me, is some of the work done on Softimage is not mentioned on the new features. An example is the they updated something in Lagoa and added the new node of "Emits Lagoa particles from a volume. " while they consider the Help a new feature.
Besides Lagoa that I never used considering it too slow, the NEW and UPDATES in the documentation show there is an eye in the road map for tools and features that maybe we given for forgotten. Am I too much optimistic?
Yep, more likely something happened down the road that stopped that famous quote from Mark to happen. Something like: "Hey Softimage team hold your horses, you need to save some features for SAP version... and 2015. and in the meantime can you help the Maya team a little bit, they kinda low on manpower.

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 24 Mar 2013, 16:54

It's just a good job that we are already a substantial way ahead of the pack, so at least we have quite a few years of breathing space.

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 24 Mar 2013, 17:07

You can now press Alt+click on the middle of either edge of a clip and drag in either direction to trim it interactively in the Animation Mixer.
Before you were using '[' and ']' for trimming a clip before and after with the time slider placed on a particular frame.
Now they added alt+click. Why do they waste time on such things it's beyond my power of comprehension.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 24 Mar 2013, 17:14

uhm Is it me or there is something wrong with the "Texturing" new feature?
I dont see any change from Softimage 2013, yet its listed as a new feature, speaking of Unfold.

here is a screengrab of softimage 2013 and the 2014 doc with whats new.

am I missing something?

regarding the whole release, its completely skippable to me and the work i do. So yeah, glad i didnt renew.

Falam

Post by Falam » 24 Mar 2013, 17:21

Pooby wrote:It's just a good job that we are already a substantial way ahead of the pack, so at least we have quite a few years of breathing space.
I agree. Continue as usual. The community needs to stop relying on Autodesk for assistance and rather, each other. :ymapplause:

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 24 Mar 2013, 17:44

The only annoyances I find in Softimage, to achieving anything I want are things like ICE array manipulation and limitations with getting closest location of anything I want. fiddly little ICE things... Apart from that, Softimage is complete fluid joy to work with.
So, annoying as I find AD, and i really do hate the "put the money where the money is, rather than the innovation" attitude is (although they would no doubt argue that they are doing that behind the scenes, Putting the innovation into where the money IS.. ie, by trying to squeeze ICE into Maya)
So, as annoying as they ARE.. by their disrespect of the users of THIS software, which they have bought to exploit, but not considered the fact their users have been used to a speed of development driven by an enthusiasm by a team that were proving that they could outdo Maya in many ways.
So despite AD.... We still have the BEST all round option, (if you dont have a vast coding team and lots and lots of time) right now..

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 24 Mar 2013, 17:45

Maximus wrote:uhm Is it me or there is something wrong with the "Texturing" new feature?
I dont see any change from Softimage 2013, yet its listed as a new feature, speaking of Unfold.

here is a screengrab of softimage 2013 and the 2014 doc with whats new.

am I missing something?

regarding the whole release, its completely skippable to me and the work i do. So yeah, glad i didnt renew.
The image is just a filler. They do that.

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 24 Mar 2013, 18:04

I don't think it's just a filler.
If I'm not mistaken, currently you cannot do packing using Unfold on an object that has already laid out UVs.
In 2014 supposedly you can, using that window (Unfold). Or maybe I got this wrong altogether.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 24 Mar 2013, 18:12

That's what filler is. Instead of leaving it blank, they just put an image that closely matches the context of the changed behavior.

EDIT: typo
Last edited by bottleofram on 24 Mar 2013, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 24 Mar 2013, 18:15

Oh, OK then. :)
-Thucydides

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 24 Mar 2013, 18:38

Can't wait to see SDK changes

pezetko

Post by pezetko » 24 Mar 2013, 18:41

In fact, you can already pack other existing UVs throught Unfold Pack feature since 2012.SAP (maybe ealier). It just needs few more clicks or few lines of script.

Letterbox

Post by Letterbox » 24 Mar 2013, 18:46

McNistor wrote:
You can now press Alt+click on the middle of either edge of a clip and drag in either direction to trim it interactively in the Animation Mixer.
Before you were using '[' and ']' for trimming a clip before and after with the time slider placed on a particular frame.
Now they added alt+click. Why do they waste time on such things it's beyond my power of comprehension.
When using an AVID system you use '[' and ']' for trimming a clip, maybe they wanted to change that. Who knows?
Is Alt+click what Maya uses? Who knows?

luis7654

Post by luis7654 » 24 Mar 2013, 18:58

Well this release may not be really amazing... let's give them a break the team is new to the software. Maybe next year will be better.

But the camera sequencer can be useful and the ability to handle bigger scenes is also great.

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 24 Mar 2013, 19:11

Um...am I the only one who is not getting a scrollbar when I click the links in the guide, except for one catergory? I check Maya's and I am scrolling like crazy...