Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE

New plugins, tools etc.
luceric

Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE

Post by luceric » 20 Mar 2013, 14:02

mirkoj wrote:And Viewport is something that EVERYBODY in Softimage are in need of, and last couple updates are just for pretty small number of users really.[...]That is final point when list of update is out it doesn't really matter if like 2 years is spen't on HQV and at the end of those years probably only small percentage of people ever used it. .
dude, either there is work on viewport or there is not. the majority of the team worked on the viewport for 2013, crowd was comparatively small. Hqv isn't this mode you're supposed to ignore. it brings all the modern texture quality, blending and procedural the lack of which makes the standard viewport look dated
Last edited by luceric on 20 Mar 2013, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.

Falam

Post by Falam » 20 Mar 2013, 14:09

All other software packages are doing is copying features from Autodesk & Houdini. If you jump ship all you will be doing is upgrading your software to features already in Softimage, and Autodesk knows this mentality is occurring in the 3D Software industry. The only exception is Houdini, the price tag is too high.

Sil3

Post by Sil3 » 20 Mar 2013, 14:13

Falam wrote:All other software packages are doing is copying features from Autodesk & Houdini. If you jump ship all you will be doing is upgrading your software to features already in Softimage, and Autodesk knows this mentality is occurring in the 3D Software industry. The only exception is Houdini, the price tag is too high.
Everybody copies everybody... Shape Manager in Softimage is a copy of what already existed in Lightwave...

adrencg

Post by adrencg » 20 Mar 2013, 15:55

mirkoj wrote:so option is kinda, if assumption is true:
1: keep paying a LOT of money and receive almost nothing for them and "risk" killing software
2: stop paying, keep using version that you have, or last one, save a LOT of money and then in couple years, 5-10 when something better came up just switch if needed.

My vote would be second option really, because you will switch sooner or later when other programs catch up and leave current development in dust. So instead of paying and getting nothing you stop paying use what you have and save money for something else.
No brainer really.
1st option seems more ike a hostage situation.. keep paying blackmail or else....
Number 2 is where I am right now. I was kind of let down by 2013. CrowdFX???? I guess that's great for 3 people doing crowds. It's kind of like when that feather plugin was made a such a big deal of at the Autodesk Siggraph presentations. The one guy who is making birds probably loved it, but that doesn't pass as a feature.

I want my head blown off by demonstrations of new features, or they're not getting my $800 this year.

So I'm going to get my 2014 before my subscription expires in April, and use it for the next couple of years. For the last 2 years I've been rendering my Softimage animation in Modo ---and that's a software that's going places. By around 2016 I should be able to ditch Softimage completely for exclusive Modo use. Although I would miss ICE for sure.

Autodesk is going to find that playing chess with yourself is a lose - lose proposition all the way.

mirkoj

Post by mirkoj » 20 Mar 2013, 16:19

no need to ditch SI at all...
just keep last version you have for years to come to fill in all stuff that you would miss by ditching it and that is all....
no need to upgrade for new version if there is nothing new that you need.
if by that time in couple years some other software does indeed get enough stuff to replace SI completely then by all mean...

after all if AD is looking at this as pure business than that is only advice for users as well... to just put aside all love to software that grows so close to your heart and start thinking in pure business...

does your investment pays of and do you get enough back.
simple and pure.
if that approach works for AD ... heheh

after all you wouldn't go out and buy next generation of CPU if cost to upgrade is couple thousand $$$$ (new mobo, ram who knows what else..) and gain is like 2-5% more speed...
hehe imagine that scenarion with CPU... you pay subscription of couple 100s $$$ per year and in return you get next CPU generation.. not including MOBO that will be needed for different socket, and upgrade is only ike 1-2% speed increase.
My guess is that you would stay of subs, wait for ouple years and than pay a lot leess money to get upgrade for like 50% or more speed. simple math. Hit AD with their math :)

But still I'm sure that all of us here are still somehow hoping that on 26th march we can all just sit back and say:"hahaha how foolish we were and this is best version ever!! free beer for whole dev team!

mirkoj

Post by mirkoj » 20 Mar 2013, 16:20

I bet that dev team would love free beer deal as well and praises instead of all this.. right now ;)

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 20 Mar 2013, 16:53

adrencg wrote: I want my head blown off by demonstrations of new features.........
That is such a high expectation. So high in fact that I don't think we would ever fulfill it, no matter what we did.

SreckoM

Post by SreckoM » 20 Mar 2013, 17:02

As a matter a fact it is not. For example implement basic sculpting a la Maya or Modo, implement Progressive rendering or even iRay, add some texture painting capabilities like Modo and many people will be blown away :D
- H -

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 20 Mar 2013, 17:09

SreckoM wrote:As a matter a fact it is not. For example implement basic sculpting a la Maya or Modo, implement Progressive rendering or even iRay, add some texture painting capabilities like Modo and many people will be blown away :D
fully agree! HEre no one ask something like ClarisseFX inside softimage, but logical and useful tools.
Bellsey wrote:
adrencg wrote: I want my head blown off by demonstrations of new features.........
That is such a high expectation. So high in fact that I don't think we would ever fulfill it, no matter what we did.
Sorry Mr Bellsey, but blame customers like too hard to pleased just seems like an excuse for a mediocre job.

adrencg

Post by adrencg » 20 Mar 2013, 17:51

Bellsey wrote:
Well, then maybe instead of cranking out some BS every year to get your obligatory subscription fees, how about disappearing for a while longer and putting out a version when you actually have something?(like Adobe) Double the render speed, double the amount of polys that can be seen in the viewport. Give us a new hair module that does dynamics as well as Cinem4d. Show us some passion behind your work, because right now I get the feeling that Autodesk feels entitled to our money just because they're Autodesk. I'm sure I'm not alone there.

I know the individuals working behind the scenes are very talented people, but it should be obvious that many of use have been underwhelmed lately.

I'm very excited to see what's coming up for 2014, but my money is staying in my pocket this time if it's not making me say wow. I have a feeling I'm going to see lots more CrowdFX enhancements on the 26th, but I'm hopeful I'll be surprised.

mirkoj

Post by mirkoj » 20 Mar 2013, 18:09

really after skipping SAP for 2013 people naturally understood that means more focus on new stuff and putting out real upgrade not just some lame subscription excuse for version...

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 20 Mar 2013, 18:28

Nizar wrote: Sorry Mr Bellsey, but blame customers like too hard to pleased just seems like an excuse for a mediocre job.
No, not at all. I'm not blaming anyone. I'm just saying that when there's an expectation to 'blow people away', it's very hard to meet that. It's very hard to please all of the people, all of the time.

jamination

Post by jamination » 20 Mar 2013, 19:10

Bellsey wrote:
Nizar wrote: Sorry Mr Bellsey, but blame customers like too hard to pleased just seems like an excuse for a mediocre job.
No, not at all. I'm not blaming anyone. I'm just saying that when there's an expectation to 'blow people away', it's very hard to meet that. It's very hard to please all of the people, all of the time.
but Autdoesk is not even coming close, I have been using an autodesk product since 3dstudio version 4, and Softimage since 3.5, and the level of discontent among users is reaching a fever pitch, and it just seems that Autodesk HAS to start to listen to this chatter, it just seems unignorable at this point. You are just not hearing this type of negativity from the other camps, in fact they are getting more postives than negatives, Autodesk on the other hand is getting far more negative than positive chatter.
Phil Harbath
Jamination Productions

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 20 Mar 2013, 23:13

jamination wrote: but Autdoesk is not even coming close, I have been using an autodesk product since 3dstudio version 4, and Softimage since 3.5, and the level of discontent among users is reaching a fever pitch, and it just seems that Autodesk HAS to start to listen to this chatter, it just seems unignorable at this point. You are just not hearing this type of negativity from the other camps, in fact they are getting more postives than negatives, Autodesk on the other hand is getting far more negative than positive chatter.
The other packages also have their fair share of disgruntled users, as I'm sure Nuke, C4D, Houdini, Zbrush, etc, also do. But for however many disgruntled users, there's also a fair share of people who are happy with the software. And that's what I mean, it's very hard to make everyone happy, as everyone has their own take and requirements. I think Luc-Eric was pretty much spot on in his post. There actually has been alot of work done in the last few releases, it just perhaps wasn't to everyone's liking. That's the nature of the beast. For some the glass is half full, others it's half empty.

You see it all the time on forums, some people want new features, other just want nothing new only bug fixes. Hypothetically, faced with a choice between one or the other, what would you want? And you couldn't have both.

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 20 Mar 2013, 23:25

Hypothetically you shouldn't be shipping bugs, so there's that.

jamination

Post by jamination » 20 Mar 2013, 23:28

go back a few years, and you can see the updates were much more balanced.
Phil Harbath
Jamination Productions