Announcing Redshift - Biased GPU Renderer

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Redshift Renderer 2.5Author: Redshift Rendering Inc.
Version 2.5.32 updated Oct 3rd 2017 / Redshift continues to support the Softimage plugin, posting updates almost weekly. Version 2 added many new features including volumetrics (OpenVDB), nested dielectrics, a new BRDFS response, new SSS models, light baking and a new PBR based redshift material.

From the company's website: Redshift is a powerful GPU-accelerated renderer, built to meet the specific demands of contemporary high-end production rendering. Tailored to support creative individuals and studios of every size, Redshift offers a suite of powerful features and integrates with industry standard CG applications. Biased Rendering: Redshift has the features and uncompromising quality of a CPU renderer, but at GPU rendering speeds. Unlike other GPU renderers out there, Redshift is a biased renderer that allows the user to adjust the quality of individual techniques in order to get the best performance/quality balance for their production. Out-of-Core Architecture: Redshift's efficient memory management allows rendering of scenes containing hundreds of millions of polygons and TBs of texture data. Proxies and Instances: The user can export groups of objects and lights to Redshift Proxy files which can be easily referenced by other scenes. Proxies allow for powerful shader, matte and visibility flag overrides as often required in production. [..] Follow the product link to continue reading.

Pricing information: Price is $500 for a node-locked or $600 for a floating license (5 lic. minimum for floating). Both options include 1 year of maintenance. For other options, see the purchase page.

New plugins, tools etc.
Kzin

Re: Announcing Redshift - Biased GPU Renderer

Post by Kzin » 14 Mar 2013, 15:58

funky75 wrote:Why not having mr feature list for half the render time or even less... :)

Nems.
i wrote this because you could get the impression its mr based. not only feature wise but also shader naming wise. ;)

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 15 Mar 2013, 14:23

Now this is how it should be...

Huge congrats to this team!!!

Cacoman

Post by Cacoman » 16 Mar 2013, 18:28

I've been testing this baby and I trully believe this is a real option for MR.

And having it alpha tested by us, it's changing the whole game. Arnold still is so closed to regular mortals trying to break through the freelance world or small studios trying to reach big studios performance. That I can see RedShift as my new render engine.

This is the kind of things that also gives Softimage added value. And thanks to the RedShift team to turn to Softimage again to develop you wonderful render. Now that everyother first look at Max and Maya...

Developers like Exocortex, Eric Mootz, etc., are the guys that are bringing back to life Softimage.
To create something that does not exist, to exist.

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 17 Mar 2013, 17:27

Put in my alpha application today. This looks really awesome.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 19 Mar 2013, 15:37

this took 21 minutes on my gtx 570.
Pretty impressive, also it is really a dream to work with this, you have mental ray material style and vray similar GI (actually Redshift one is better in my opinion), they did an insane job regarding the integration in Softimage, is seamless. Speed is incredible and support is amazing.
I suggest everyone interested into rendering to drop a line and enter into alpha so we can help them improve!

been years i'm not so happy with a render engine, totally integrated in Soft.

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 19 Mar 2013, 16:10

+1

Exactly what he said. Most promising renderer I've ever tested.

Lutze

Post by Lutze » 19 Mar 2013, 16:36

+1

I mainly used Octane for the last year or so with softimage. Still waiting for a proper plugin. This baby here is a real eye-opener. Very fast and almost production ready at this stage. I am very impressed. As stated before, the integration is very good also.

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 19 Mar 2013, 17:49

Lutze wrote:+1

I mainly used Octane for the last year or so with softimage. Still waiting for a proper plugin. This baby here is a real eye-opener. Very fast and almost production ready at this stage. I am very impressed. As stated before, the integration is very good also.
They seem to be full up with testers atm ;( just got my reply back
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

Cacoman

Post by Cacoman » 21 Mar 2013, 07:18

This guys are rock solid! During weekend they released about 4 builds. They listen, they have support and like everyone else said it's amazing how well it is integrated into Softimage.

This was only 4 min render.

To create something that does not exist, to exist.

curly

Post by curly » 21 Mar 2013, 09:04

Are you guys planning to make an affordable ( between 25 to 100 USD per month) subscription for a cloud rendering farm? The guys from Octane Render did that. I don't like the pricing. A bit to expensive for me. I'd like to see some hair and fur and ice or realflow simulations with it in Softimage.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 21 Mar 2013, 09:35

Maximus & Cacoman Nice!

Maximus, remember that scene from another thread, & wasn't it taking several hours ?

And how about flikering in animation? Haven't had time installing/testing it yet. Can't wait

Looks like it makes Soft (more) fun again :)

And both together seems to make like a powerhorse combo.

forton

Post by forton » 21 Mar 2013, 09:43

+1 for hair and fur and ice.
It seems that plain 3D geometry, shaders and instances is something "anyone" can do these days, I made my switch to softimage a few years ago not to be stuck with a renderer that doesn't do hair, strands and particles.
To me it seems like the art of creating a renderer is good integration, that's where development slows down to a crawl with most new renderers.

Cheers, Wim

Kzin

Post by Kzin » 21 Mar 2013, 09:53

forton wrote:+1 for hair and fur and ice.
It seems that plain 3D geometry, shaders and instances is something "anyone" can do these days...
if you have a fixed feature set, it will always be easier to create a renderer. the problems start then you add more and more features. because it means you have to add flexibility to it and this will create the problems and performance issues because you have to start optimize for certain situations to keep it fast. you will also loose simplicity or easy to use, except you keep the user away from it, but this also means you sacrifice flexibility again. saw this for another renderer which first start with impressive speed and ended up with avarage performance, or lets say, more realistic expectations about the performance.

redshift looks great sofar, speed is really good so i cant wait to see new features in action and how fast they turn out.

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 21 Mar 2013, 13:16

forton wrote:+1 for hair and fur and ice.
Hair and fur are coming, it's early alpha so give the guys a chance :)

So far I can say, integration is excellent. If you get your settings right (not difficult) there is no flicker in GI animation, smooth as silk, even on very challenging scenes!

Of course there are a lot of features to add yet but I can say the pace of development is shockingly fast. What is there, is stable and well thought out. Image quality is incredible and it's fast. Keep an eye on this one!

forton

Post by forton » 21 Mar 2013, 13:35

I certainly will, I was too late to become a beta, so I'll have to wait :(

Draise

Post by Draise » 21 Mar 2013, 18:47

Yes, they are solid. The activity in their forums and the documentation is solid. I'm enjoying how they are very open with what they are trying to do (in the documentation) and how they are trying to deliver the best experience to the user. I am currently testing it out now, and hopefully I can be of any help! It's a shame I'm traveling half the duration of the license and won't have access to my computers.... :-s