Announcing Redshift - Biased GPU Renderer

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Redshift Renderer 2.5Author: Redshift Rendering Inc.
Version 2.5.32 updated Oct 3rd 2017 / Redshift continues to support the Softimage plugin, posting updates almost weekly. Version 2 added many new features including volumetrics (OpenVDB), nested dielectrics, a new BRDFS response, new SSS models, light baking and a new PBR based redshift material.

From the company's website: Redshift is a powerful GPU-accelerated renderer, built to meet the specific demands of contemporary high-end production rendering. Tailored to support creative individuals and studios of every size, Redshift offers a suite of powerful features and integrates with industry standard CG applications. Biased Rendering: Redshift has the features and uncompromising quality of a CPU renderer, but at GPU rendering speeds. Unlike other GPU renderers out there, Redshift is a biased renderer that allows the user to adjust the quality of individual techniques in order to get the best performance/quality balance for their production. Out-of-Core Architecture: Redshift's efficient memory management allows rendering of scenes containing hundreds of millions of polygons and TBs of texture data. Proxies and Instances: The user can export groups of objects and lights to Redshift Proxy files which can be easily referenced by other scenes. Proxies allow for powerful shader, matte and visibility flag overrides as often required in production. [..] Follow the product link to continue reading.

Pricing information: Price is $500 for a node-locked or $600 for a floating license (5 lic. minimum for floating). Both options include 1 year of maintenance. For other options, see the purchase page.

New plugins, tools etc.
FXDude

Re: Announcing Redshift - Biased GPU Renderer

Post by FXDude » 21 Mar 2013, 09:35

Maximus & Cacoman Nice!

Maximus, remember that scene from another thread, & wasn't it taking several hours ?

And how about flikering in animation? Haven't had time installing/testing it yet. Can't wait

Looks like it makes Soft (more) fun again :)

And both together seems to make like a powerhorse combo.

forton

Post by forton » 21 Mar 2013, 09:43

+1 for hair and fur and ice.
It seems that plain 3D geometry, shaders and instances is something "anyone" can do these days, I made my switch to softimage a few years ago not to be stuck with a renderer that doesn't do hair, strands and particles.
To me it seems like the art of creating a renderer is good integration, that's where development slows down to a crawl with most new renderers.

Cheers, Wim

Kzin

Post by Kzin » 21 Mar 2013, 09:53

forton wrote:+1 for hair and fur and ice.
It seems that plain 3D geometry, shaders and instances is something "anyone" can do these days...
if you have a fixed feature set, it will always be easier to create a renderer. the problems start then you add more and more features. because it means you have to add flexibility to it and this will create the problems and performance issues because you have to start optimize for certain situations to keep it fast. you will also loose simplicity or easy to use, except you keep the user away from it, but this also means you sacrifice flexibility again. saw this for another renderer which first start with impressive speed and ended up with avarage performance, or lets say, more realistic expectations about the performance.

redshift looks great sofar, speed is really good so i cant wait to see new features in action and how fast they turn out.

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 21 Mar 2013, 13:16

forton wrote:+1 for hair and fur and ice.
Hair and fur are coming, it's early alpha so give the guys a chance :)

So far I can say, integration is excellent. If you get your settings right (not difficult) there is no flicker in GI animation, smooth as silk, even on very challenging scenes!

Of course there are a lot of features to add yet but I can say the pace of development is shockingly fast. What is there, is stable and well thought out. Image quality is incredible and it's fast. Keep an eye on this one!

forton

Post by forton » 21 Mar 2013, 13:35

I certainly will, I was too late to become a beta, so I'll have to wait :(

Draise

Post by Draise » 21 Mar 2013, 18:47

Yes, they are solid. The activity in their forums and the documentation is solid. I'm enjoying how they are very open with what they are trying to do (in the documentation) and how they are trying to deliver the best experience to the user. I am currently testing it out now, and hopefully I can be of any help! It's a shame I'm traveling half the duration of the license and won't have access to my computers.... :-s

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 21 Mar 2013, 21:26

Did a quick test borrowing one of our students scenes from last year. Simple AO , using mental ray , 2 mins 47 secs, using redshift, 26 seconds.

Wow
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

adrencg

Post by adrencg » 22 Mar 2013, 17:09

I'm also on the test program. As someone who has been underwhelmed by a lot of renderers, this one is pretty amazing speed-wise.

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 11 Apr 2013, 10:44

Any news? Release date? Can use two GPU like cycles and octane or deserve one to viewport and the others for rendering computation?

About CUDA, cycles and octane have issue with gtx 6xx, how about redshift?

Look very promising.

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 11 Apr 2013, 13:46

It's way too early to expect a release date but it's progressing very nicely. It will have multi-gpu capability in the near future. No problems with 6xx that I know of.

Redshift is the one to watch ;)

adrencg

Post by adrencg » 11 Apr 2013, 16:17

When using it, it'll be very apparent they were inspired by Vray. It's very Vray-ish, except faster.

yashugan

Post by yashugan » 04 May 2013, 15:50

In fact, the first thing that i noted, is that REDSHIFT is the slowest GPU render that i have seen until now. We are talking about a BIASED render, so it should be ultraspeed, near to few second, and i see that some render take miuntes...
Hum, something that i don't understand.
In octane i render scene more complex that the sample seen until now in seconds, and adding more seconds the grain effect is clean.
Why RED SHIFT is (apparently) so slow?
I'm very excited about this render, but if is so slow... what the GPU do?

the best wish any way for RED SHIFT, and i really hope i will became faster than ever!

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 04 May 2013, 17:29

Well I've had the exact opposite experience, maybe it has to do with your settings. But perhaps this is a conversation that should only be on the Redshift forum! Maybe you should respect their alpha testing process and request to have discussions only there until it is a released product. Remember, it's not even in beta testing yet.

yashugan

Post by yashugan » 04 May 2013, 18:03

Yes, you right, apologize me, i was so excited about RED SHIFT that probably i pointed to much higher too early:)

I'll wait with the best hope RED SHIFT, and all the best to the RED SHIFT team!

Brake the wall! :D

origin

Post by origin » 04 May 2013, 23:05

What is slow, what is fast? What scene complexity? Exterior, interior? A car in exterior shot - a benchmark for all gpu renderers? ;)
If it takes second for octane to render a scene, why all the renders in their gallery are either supernoisy or noisy?
http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31203 Thats 3 minutes, judging from grain it would take 10x more time to clean this up to slightly noisy image and hours to perfect one.

Cacoman

Post by Cacoman » 16 May 2013, 09:25

I second Action Art.

The Redshift team is simply awsome. I never had before the support and the willingness of hearing us, the final users, as the RedShift team.

I don't know of Octane as to my understandment, there is still no SI UI integration. And personally, I don't like to port scenes to an additional render app and resetup materials, lights, etc.

All I can say is that in my personal experience not only testing, but also using Redshift has been a walk on the clouds.

For me it's super fast, reliable and noise free. And the renders are impressive. It asks nothing from V-ray or Arnold and the setup is easy and seamless within Softimage. As I stated before is like having MR re-reloaded. It feels like home.
To create something that does not exist, to exist.