Motion Tools 1.0

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Motion Tools 1.1Author: Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Project moved to GitHub in Jul 2017 --- Motion Tools is a small collection of tools that aims to aid Motion Graphic work being created inside Softimage. The idea is to create a workflow for the creation, distribution and animation of instances as intuitive as the ones found in comercial solutions. Since it is created ontop of ICE the tools have speed and combustibility considerably superior to similar solutions.

Demo video available here. For demos of the previous beta versions, see here vor v0.1, here for v0.2 and here for v0.3.

local backup:motiontools.zip
Motion Tools 1.1Author: Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Updated September 2012 to support polygon island pivots/rotation fixes. Motion Tools is a small collection of tools that aims to aid Motion Graphic work being created inside Softimage. The idea is to create a workflow for the creation, distribution and animation of instances as intuitive as the ones found in comercial solutions. Since it is created ontop of ICE the tools have speed and combustibility considerably superior to similar solutions.

Demo video available here. For demos of the previous beta versions, see here vor v0.1, here for v0.2 and here for v0.3.

local backup: motiontools.zip

New plugins, tools etc.
blondimage

Re: Motion Tools 1.0

Post by blondimage » 18 Sep 2012, 15:19

Thanks for the Vid! It looked awesome.

I found the swearing added to the entertainment value! :)

GiorgioAdolfoKrenkel

Post by GiorgioAdolfoKrenkel » 18 Sep 2012, 20:49

I am having some problems when trying to use the new addon. Are the addon OS related?! Im using linux. Here are the error messages im geting when trying to use the mtools:

CreatePrim "Sphere", "MeshSurface"
SwitchToolbar 4
' ERROR : 2000 - Argument 0 (PresetObj) is invalid
' ERROR : 2027-EDIT-ApplyOp - Traceback (most recent call last):
' File "<Script Block 2>", line 256, in mTools_CreatePolyIslandControl_Execute
' oGeo_ICEtree = str(xsi.ApplyOp("ICEtree", oInputGeo, "siNode", "", "", 0))
' File "<COMObject Application>", line 2, in ApplyOp
' COM Error: Invalid preset argument, cannot load ICEtree - [line 255 in /root/Autodesk/Softimage_2013_SP1/Addons/MotionTools/Application/Plugins/mTools_ICEFlow_Plugin.py]
' ERROR : OLE error 0x80020101
mTools_CreatePolyIslandControl 1
' ERROR : Traceback (most recent call last):
' File "<Script Block 2>", line 153, in ICEFlow_CreateInstanceArray_Callback
' elif oTmp == "Slice Polygons into Polygon Islands": xsi.mTools_CreatePolyIslandControl(1)
' File "<COMObject Application>", line 2, in mTools_CreatePolyIslandControl
' COM Error: Exception occurred.
' (0x-7ffdfff7) - [line 152 in /root/Autodesk/Softimage_2013_SP1/Addons/MotionTools/Application/Plugins/mTools_ICEFlow_Plugin.py]

Also when trying to create the ice nodes in the Ice editor, ive got nothing there.Guess it will not work in Linux?! :-?

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 18 Sep 2012, 21:36

Hi Giorgio. Yeap I guess Linux is the one to blame. I have received other complaints and tried to get info from other people on the SI Mailing List. I cant promisse anything other then I will try to address this :/

But are you saying that the compounds are missing? Have you relaunched SI after installing the plugin?
It should not be the case, even in Linux, as far as I know... Nothing shows up under Tasks - Motion Tools?
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

GiorgioAdolfoKrenkel

Post by GiorgioAdolfoKrenkel » 18 Sep 2012, 22:00

gustavoeb wrote: But are you saying that the compounds are missing? Have you relaunched SI after installing the plugin?
It should not be the case, even in Linux, as far as I know... Nothing shows up under Tasks - Motion Tools?
Hello Gustavo.Thank you for looking this problem.
Well, i got a node called, "Initialize PolyIsland Data". Nothing else. :-?

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 20 Sep 2012, 21:35

angelous4x wrote:when i try the slice poly to islands
yeah it is actually in known limitations. I did not implement this because is sligthly different then the implementation for existing polygon islands... but should be there shortly
angelous4x wrote:when i do that and add an animation clip mod. the node is red
this is because the clip is not keyed in all transforms (scale, rot, trans) but as you can see it still works... I will try to fix this bogus visual feedback next update
GiorgioAdolfoKrenkel wrote:Well, i got a node called, "Initialize PolyIsland Data". Nothing else.
well "Initialize PolyIsland Data" is under tools not tasks. so only tools showing up in Linux? I have no experience with SI on Linux, so Im attatching two images just to make sure we are talking about the same things...

Hey Angelous thanks again for the grrreat tutorial... did you see it got its own post from Bellsey?!
http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/graham/c ... -softimage

Ps: by the way, thanks for spreading the word Bellsey
Gustavo Eggert Boehs

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 20 Sep 2012, 21:47

oops, forgot to attach the images, here they go Giorgio
Attachments
tasks.JPG
tasks.JPG (18.28 KiB) Viewed 2308 times
tool.JPG
tool.JPG (14.55 KiB) Viewed 2308 times
Gustavo Eggert Boehs

angelous4x

Post by angelous4x » 20 Sep 2012, 22:11

Hey Gustavo

This is great there is alot of attention on motion tools. which is awesome and well deserved. again its one of my favorite tools. :x

they also posted it on softimage Facebook page. :D
http://www.facebook.com/AutodeskSoftimage

thats links to lesterbanks :D

http://lesterbanks.com/2012/09/using-mo ... nimations/

keep up the amazing work.

GiorgioAdolfoKrenkel

Post by GiorgioAdolfoKrenkel » 21 Sep 2012, 16:28

gustavoeb wrote:oops, forgot to attach the images, here they go Giorgio
Thank you Gustavo.

All the nodes are present in both tabs. But i still get those error messages when trying to use the tool.

angelous4x

Post by angelous4x » 03 Oct 2012, 23:55

hey

working on a personal project, I created a little compound to work with motion tools. its Based on Polynoid's (Fabio Brazzo) Curve flow. but works with Motion tools.

so it places particles on a curve you could control the progress, start and end postions, aligning on curve(align xyz or custom values) and local and global roations (roll xyz or custom values), and works with motion tools modifiers. With in this compound i use a compound from Alan Fregtman and Eric Mootz emtools. just wanted to make sure i give those 3 guys credit and ,my thanks.

however the compound still needs some help.

enjoy and have fun.
Attachments
MT_curve.rar
(182.47 KiB) Downloaded 196 times

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 08 Oct 2012, 00:19

Hey Angel just toyed around with your scene. Really solid design of the tool, with many bells and wissels within :D
Working flawlesly with other modifiers. Great to see that the extensibility in ICE can enable people to come up with their own solutions by mixing many different tools. I guess, besides speed, that is the greatest advantage of having tools for Motion Graphics inside SI.
It would be nice to have this as a modifier also, have to give some thought on how this would be done, but should be feasible as that is how it is done in C4D.

In the end I think I'll have to decouple all positioning of points from point creation (including linear, cilindrical, and all) to have them play better with the simulation setups...
Gustavo Eggert Boehs

casio_2000

Post by casio_2000 » 09 Oct 2012, 04:39

Hi,
so this technic is only for a unsimulated ice tree. right? So my dinamics will not work.

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 09 Oct 2012, 04:50

Infact there is a workflow for mixing procedural+simulation... if you have the time for it. please look at the video in the beggining of this thread, more towards the end of it.

What I was talking about in the previous post is that I should decouple the way some instance generators work for better control in simulation. This is particularly relevant if you want to animate one of the emission parameters, like the radius of a radial emition for example... But then again I can only do that with parameters that dont mess with the ammount of generated instances... or else things should get a whole lot more complicated
Gustavo Eggert Boehs

angelous4x

Post by angelous4x » 07 Nov 2012, 23:53

Hey every one
Between being unemployed
and the storm that shall not be named (sandy). Seen some mograph stuff and i did these 2 new motion graphic animations using Motion tools.

Forgive the quality on vimeo, been trying to figure out how to get the best looking video compression and i haven't had much luck.

rendered with MR

Rendered with Arnold

Ramon

Post by Ramon » 18 Dec 2012, 22:51

Removed all materials and UV from source object and unsuitable for deconstruct prepared object for render.

gdebello

Post by gdebello » 19 Dec 2012, 00:11

@angelous Nice videos, very creative work there! Good job.

Glen
I use Softimage for game development. Is there really anything else?
http://www.gdebello.blogspot.com

Falam

Post by Falam » 19 Dec 2012, 00:42

angelous4x wrote:Hey every one
Between being unemployed
and the storm that shall not be named (sandy). Seen some mograph stuff and i did these 2 new motion graphic animations using Motion tools.

Forgive the quality on vimeo, been trying to figure out how to get the best looking video compression and i haven't had much luck.
A little OffTopic
Were you affected by Hurricane Sandy ? How is the employment currently in the US. I know that in Europe, Span and France are in bad shape, Spain has something equivalent to 52% unemployment.

Moderator edit: edited the vimeo videos out of the quote as they are already at the top of the page - HB