aaOcean open sourced...

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

aaOcean SuiteAuthor: Amaan Akram
The Open Source aaOcean Suite is a collection of Softimage ICE nodes and a mental ray shaders that implements Jerry Tessendorf's paper on simulating ocean waves, which is currently the most widely used method for open water ocean surfacemodeling being used in the industry.

This particular implementation presents itself as a 3D deforming grid inside Softimage, which then becomes the source of vector displacement map sequences that are sent to Mental Ray for final rendering. One of the benefits of using this approach is that it opens up the possibility of making other 3D objects inside Softimage react with the ocean grid via ICE. Another benefit is the speed that it brings in setting up your ocean right inside Softimage on a low resolution ocean grid to set basic paramters like wave height and speed, rather than rendering a sequence of images in Mental Ray. Works nicely in conjunction with Werner Ziemerink's Wave Curl.

local backup: aaocean.zip

New plugins, tools etc.
Bullit

Re: aaOcean open sourced...

Post by Bullit » 04 Mar 2013, 15:45

Maybe the website is in autopilot mode.

colour

Post by colour » 06 Mar 2013, 07:02

I thought I was missing something after I registered, but it seems not. I emailed Amaan a week or two back, but haven't received a reply.

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 06 Mar 2013, 09:11

Not sure if it's the latest version, but I copied it from bitbucket back then so it's not that old

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10965660/share ... Rev079.zip

geoath

Post by geoath » 06 Mar 2013, 10:55

Thanks a lot!

Could someone explain the steps needed to replace the version 1.7 with the new version? i can't find any addon in the 2.5 version :-\

colour

Post by colour » 07 Mar 2013, 20:30

And are there any tuts available for the ice version?

rray

Post by rray » 07 Mar 2013, 20:49

geoath wrote:Thanks a lot!

Could someone explain the steps needed to replace the version 1.7 with the new version? i can't find any addon in the 2.5 version :-\
This can be installed like this:
Create a new folder "[user/workgroup path]/Addons/aaOcean" and copy the contents of both "Softimage" folders into it. The shader should be self registering so there's no need to manually register any dlls.

Can't answer how to migrate between the version, if that was what you meant
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 08 Mar 2013, 07:36

Hirazi Blue wrote:So, after being sent to Bitbucket by Amaan Akram's website, registering there and after that being told that I still couldn't access the files, I would really like to know what's going on here. It feels like I've simply been tricked to register at Bitbucket. This seems to be a new interpretation of the concept of "open source" I wasn't previously aware of... If the files are only available "on demand", maybe mr. Akram should take down the Bitbucket link from his website.
:-?
Yeah, i'm a bit confused too. Like Sam suggested, i've sent Amaan an email and he was kind enough to send me what appears to be the latest version. The archive is called aaOcean2.6_deploy_Rev_204, however, it only contains deformer and shader dll's (no js, xsicompound etc.) with a note that it comes "as is with no support and installation help". I wasn't sure what to do with them so i moved away from it for the time being.

Again, it's a little bit unclear whether this is an open or private project. :-??

amaan

Post by amaan » 25 May 2013, 17:36

Hi all,

Apologies for the confusion in the download locations. I've been working flat out in a non-softimage studio and have found it difficult to support this plugin -- I get a lot of support emails and it is hard to keep up with them.

The current download link for the stable version is

http://www.amaanakram.com/plugins/aaOce ... ev_204.rar

This contains mental ray shaders and maya/xsi/houdini plugins and sample scenes. Arnold shaders are not distributed because of my NDA with solid angle. You may download them from the solid angle trac website. Please get in touch if you are having problems.

This is a fully-featured tessendorf implementation and does not suffer from the frequency-space sampling limitations of the houdini ocean toolkit implementations out there.

I'd greatly appreciate reporting the usage of this plugin back to me, assuming you find this plugin useful and use it on a production. This plugin is free and the only thing that keeps it afloat is user-feedback.

Thanks,
Amaan

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 27 May 2013, 11:28

Thanks Amaan for the update.

tinopich

Post by tinopich » 12 Jun 2013, 16:30

Do you have the video of ocean tutorials? i really don't understand how to do that....
i hope you can show me....

amaan

Post by amaan » 24 Aug 2013, 11:02

Hi all,

latest build, Rev 226, is available to download from

https://bitbucket.org/amaanakram/aaocean/downloads

Compiled with Softimage 2013 sdk
adds extra features that brings my implementation on-par with Side FX's tessendorf for Houdini 12.5
linux-support: source is available on the bitbucket page above to compile the code yourself

samples scenes included (no video tutorials at the moment).

please let me know if you have any issues.

Newcomer (<20 posts) alert: please use the URL tags - HB

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 24 Aug 2013, 12:39

Hey amaan!

Thanks a lot for sharing! Great stuff..!

cheers,
oli

eben

Post by eben » 24 Aug 2013, 12:52

thanks for keeping this great addon alive !

the deformer part seems to work well on Softimage 2014 SP2.
not tested the mr shader part yet.

fred

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 24 Aug 2013, 18:24

Thanks

diissar

Post by diissar » 24 Aug 2013, 21:49

thanks a lot Amaan,a video tutorial would be great! :)

ardworx

Post by ardworx » 20 Sep 2013, 12:45

Hi, thanx for this great plugin!

I try to export an ocean as rgba sequence with the provided aaocean data shader, but it outputs the same map for every frame, could somebody explain how to setup this right?
i am using si 2014 sp2 and the aaOcean_ICE_setup scene for that test.

thanx in advance,
ardworx