Craft_Rig and autoRig 1

craft

Re: Craft Rig 1

Post by craft » 19 Mar 2010, 08:12

druitre wrote:his hands are locked to her back and kneepits, her hands are locked to his neck and shoulders. How would you set up a situation like that,if you'd want him to walk around with her in his hands?
17-18 klein.jpg
nice pics. and the clay thing sounds cool.
funny that you noticed the standard meshes fit just fine to that rig.
uhmmm good question! i think i would set her legs to fk and lock his hands to her left thig FK bone and torso. i would then lock her hands to his neck, but i wouldnt use stretchy arms on these guys, so i´d have to keep checking if she´s close enouth to hold properly to his neck. ;) in order for them to rotate simultaneously, i´d do something as simple as parenting her whole model to his chest.
keep it up mate. thanks again

druitre

Post by druitre » 19 Mar 2010, 16:10

Hi Tiago,

yes, good practice to create example rigs to standard mesh dimensions! (I have no idea how adjustable your rig is when it comes to refitting it to meshes with other torso/limbs relationships)

A weird problem now: in this pose, I have lots of arm popping/elbow twists, in fact I can't get my (her) left arm untwisted. Do you have any idea what's causing it... or how to get rid of it? (in fact I see the elbow twists as soon as I bend the arm, look in frame 3)

(here's the scene so you can have a look)
http://www.snackbardesiree.com/stuff/strange_arms.rar
twisty strangy
twisty strangy
strange arms.jpg (41.94 KiB) Viewed 6072 times
EDIT: Oo la laa... just had a hunch and found out it's the dual quat ICE envelope I have on it. Shouldn't do that, should it now?

grahamef

Post by grahamef » 19 Mar 2010, 19:42

druitre wrote:Oo la laa... just had a hunch and found out it's the dual quat ICE envelope I have on it. Shouldn't do that, should it now?
The bone lengths are animated. The dual quaternion compound isn't compatible with that, I'm afraid.

craft

Post by craft » 19 Mar 2010, 20:29

ooooh this is sad news.
it'd be better if it was just my rig, because it'd probably mean an easier solution. there's plenty of stable arm rigs out there, but sort of like only one quaternion thing implemented in several similar ways, i guess.

druite, if you're unhappy with the results on the standard envelope, you can create some 2 point linear curves, create a cluster_with_center on each point and link them to your bones (for instance, one point is a child of the upperarm and th other a child of the ribs under the armpit), pretty much as if they were tendons. then path constraint some nulls or boxes or something to the curve and use them as envelopes on the joint areas. it'll be a lot more work to envelope but it should help on keeping the shape.

grahamef

Post by grahamef » 19 Mar 2010, 21:16

craft wrote:it'd be better if it was just my rig, because it'd probably mean an easier solution. there's plenty of stable arm rigs out there, but sort of like only one quaternion thing implemented in several similar ways, i guess.
The latest version of the DQ compound handles bone scaling though. Is it possible to use that instead of length?

craft

Post by craft » 19 Mar 2010, 21:33

not with this rig, because of how it allows for scalability on top of all the other features. I'd have to change a thing or two.
but i'll take that into account the next time i rig something.

druitre

Post by druitre » 20 Mar 2010, 15:12

Yeah, it's a real pity... I've done those workarounds using curves and nulls before, but dual quat is so much easier to use. Plus, the way it handles twist, it's not easy to fix that with curves.

I'll just have to wait for your next rig... sigh... ;)

DUAJISIN

Re: Craft_Rig and autoRig 1

Post by DUAJISIN » 13 Oct 2010, 18:45

Hi there guys,
i dont know if this is a general problem or rig-related,
but do u experience pretty low fps/lagging using the rig?
im coming from a maya background, and i noticed this is softimage - can this be cured?
(i have a decent setup btw.)

craft

Post by craft » 15 Oct 2010, 23:35

first person I ever heard having such issues.
can you tell me what setup you got?
have you enveloped any geometry to the rig? if so, try using it with no sub-d, in shaded or constant mode, to see how it performs..

DUAJISIN

Post by DUAJISIN » 17 Oct 2010, 16:12

intel i930 @ 2.8Ghz
GeForce 9800 GT 1gb ddr3
6gb mem.
win 7 pro - SoftImage 2011

i do not know how to envelope, also im using the wireframe, shaded mode - w no subdividing. Just the standard out of the box setup.

craft

Post by craft » 21 Oct 2010, 01:15

Just uploaded a new version to solve some bugs that were reported. check the link at the first post.

@ DUAJISIN - with that setup, it should fly. i mean, i use a much older setup and it performs well.
i totally have no idea why it's dragging. how do other rigs such as the native softimage Biped perform on your machine? that one' really simple, so if it drags aswell, you might have some issues there... and stuff featurewize comparable to the craft rig?

DUAJISIN

Post by DUAJISIN » 22 Oct 2010, 11:09

Hi there craft,
sorry if my post came off sortof rude, was not intentional, i was just trying to figure out what could be the problem. I am work ATM and cant try the native biped, but other SI rigs (older ones) perform quite well - meaning no lagging. Dont know what could be the problem, but i will check ur rig update asap. thanks for the effort!

craft

Post by craft » 22 Oct 2010, 11:24

haha don't worry man! i didn't think it was rude in any way either. i actually feel thankfull that people take the time to give me feedback.