The free rig thread

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

ccRig 1.1Author: Christopher Crouzet
Going through his website logs, Christopher recently found consistent entries requesting a deleted page for his 2008 ccRig. This led him to put the rig back online, due to its prototype status only for educational purposes. This rig was originally a prototype developed as an answer to specific production needs. The arms and legs had to be stretchable, bendable and reliable. The rigging structure is organized as a list of models, each model defining a type of member (arm, leg, ...), so it could be easily generated by script.

Its marked as beta since this release aims to share with other technical artists the idea behind the bendable rigging structure. However the rig is fully functionable and can be used by animators, but at the moment there is no interface (other than the controls box), no utility scripts and no facial.

local backup: ccRig.zip
Roman RigAuthor: Thomas Cannell
Biped rig and rigged character model that Thomas Cannell developed and used on his reel. Watch his reel here!

For information see readme.txt inside the download archive. Developed for Softimage 2011.

local backup: roman_project.rar
Flaco RigAuthor: Javier Vega Garcia
This is an easy rig to be used in animation practices. It is based on the rig provided by XSI on its Biped Guide. I have personalized it and adapted it to the needs I have found all along my animation practices so that it can be useful for me and my students.

Developed for Softimage 2011. For a screenshot see here. Watch Javier's reel here.

local backup: FLACO.rar
Flacobot RigAuthor: Javier Vega Garcia
This builds upon the Flaco rig. It is an easy rig to be used in animation practices. It is based on the rig provided by XSI on its Biped Guide. I have personalized it and adapted it to the needs I have found all along my animation practices so that it can be useful for me and my students.

Developed for Softimage 2011. Flacobot demonstrational video available here on vimeo. Watch Javier's reel here.

local backup: FLACOBOT_V1.rar
Craft Rig 1Author: Tiago Beijoco
The craft rig is a biped rig with a lot of interesting features such as bendable and detachable arms, locking functions, pose mirroring, FK/IK matching etc..

For all the features see this image. Demonstration video can be found on author's site. Developed for Softimage 2011.

local backup: Craft_Rig.rar
IK Joe XSIAuthor: Javier Solsona
Biped rig orginally developed for Maya by Javier Solsona, converted to XSI 3.5 by Stefan Andresson. Contains a toolbar addon. Original cgsociety posting by Stefan can be found here

local backup: sanders.zip
Moom RigAuthor: Ramtin
Character rig originally developed for Maya by Ramtin, converted to XSI 6.0 by Josef Sy. Features IK/FK stretchable arms, head look-at, hide/unhide geo options and a synoptic view.

local backup: MoomXSI_v03.1.zip

Walter RigAuthor: Lucas Martell
Human body rig used by Lucas Martell in his short film »Pigeon Impossible«. See author site for the film and more details.

local backup: WalterRig.zip
Guy RigAuthor: David J. Hammer
A rig and rigged character developed for XSI 5.0. The rig features IK/FK blending for the arms, FK/IK squash and stretch with volume preservation, IK stretchy legs, arms and spine, different orientation controls for head/neck, hands and arms, pin controls, »stop staring« based facial and hand controls, synoptic view.

Download archive contains a AVI demonstration video.

local backup: guy_v1.zip
Human body rigAuthor: Anto Matkovic
A very feature rich human body rig developed for XSI 6.02. Features include auto rigging (fitting!), pinning of hands, elbows and knees, mirroring, roll controls, and a lot more.

local backup: am_body_rig.rar
Rogelio RigAuthor: Jose M.
Features of this biped are IK/FK arms and legs, stretchy arms and legs, deformers (»a lot«), bone base facial rig, reverse and straight feet, synoptic view. Developed for XSI 6.5.

pdf manual included in download archive.

local backup: Rogelio_and_manuals.zip
Edgard RigAuthor: Marcelo Ricardo Ortiz
A rig and rigged character developed for XSI 4.0. The rig features synoptic view, 2 independent face rig controls, custom hand and body poses, face shapes.

Download archive contains an AVI demonstration video.

local backup: Edgard_Download.zip
BeeBoy RigAuthor: Rodrigo Ribeiro
Rig and rigged character originally developed for Maya by Rodrigo Ribeiro, converted to Softimage 2011 by everyFrame. Features include: IK/FK arms and legs with G/L aligns, stretchy limbs, stretchy mesh, full FK finger, lip, and footroll controls, FK torso, global scaling.

local backup: BeeBoy.zip
Simple Bot Rig Author: dreamtalks
Production-proven cartoon rig of a 2-legged character. Not for commercial use.

local backup: Bot_RIG.rar

Issues concerning rigging & Face Robot...
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: The free rig thread

Post by Hirazi Blue » 27 Apr 2011, 22:44

Stumbled upon two old rigs over @ CreativeCrash, created by Adib Souly:
- nanoman
- MiniRig 1.0.0, which is a - you probably guessed it - a car rig...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

kitesflyer

Post by kitesflyer » 24 Jul 2011, 20:15

Max rig for Softimage

please beta test my rig and let me know.
max_screenshot.jpg
max_screenshot.jpg (51.33 KiB) Viewed 4426 times
https://www.creativecrash.com/xsi/marke ... -softimage

Moderator edit: please use the URL tags - HB

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 25 Jul 2011, 03:41

In regards to the max rig posted above

Issues Found:
- Your model node is scaled down to .1145 by default. Should be at 1
- Model node is visible. Should be hidden by default. This should never move.
- Your Global SRT object is scaled up to 8.736 should be at 1
- When you reset the scaling on the two objects above, the tongue ends up enormous and out of place
- Your naming convention is kinda non-existent and is all over the place, "L_leg_bank_L" for example
- "body_mehs" should be "body_mesh"
- Hand never follows arm in FK
- Right eye is enveloped while not oriented flatly
- Various control parameters aren't locked as they should be. If they shouldn't be scaled, lock the scaling on the control.
- Neutral pose on forarmFK controls don't allow them to reset properly.

Take these as critiques to help better the rig. :)
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

kitesflyer

Post by kitesflyer » 26 Jul 2011, 15:31

Thank you very much for taking out time to cheek my work,I will come up with a better version of this one soon.This was my first effort to make a complete rig. :)

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 13 Sep 2011, 11:51

Finally something new to add to this thread (although it's "free" with some restrictions):
From the folks at AnimSchool.com comes their Malcolm v.097 for Softimage 2011
Some licensing restrictions apply, read all about it on the download page

And read some more about it here

Helli

Post by Helli » 12 Nov 2011, 14:36

It's not directly "one" rig, but a rigging solution. And there are allready some templates for a biped, a horse, dog and so on:

http://jeremiepasserin.com/gear/

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 12 Nov 2011, 20:09

Gear has been discussed here numerous times and its very good indeed,
but this is a free rig thread, not a free rigging plugin thread...
This is not meant as a rebuke, merely as an attempt to not let this thread derail. ;)

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 10 Dec 2011, 12:53

Already announced elsewhere on "our" community, mentioned here for completeness' sake:
the Mark Rig for Softimage (for non-commercial use)
;)

lizardj

Post by lizardj » 10 Dec 2011, 15:58

thanks! and sorry for not reading through the read me first forum..
i feel ashamed i didnt know about the url tag.
Hirazi Blue wrote:Already announced elsewhere on "our" community, mentioned here for completion's sake:
the Mark Rig for Softimage (for non-commercial use)
;)

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 10 Dec 2011, 16:01

No reason to be ashamed. Newcomers are allowed to make this mistake. That's why I add the "Newcomer Warning". It's the people who persist on not using the url-tags while they should know better, who should be ashamed...
;)

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 31 May 2016, 15:27

Digging up an ancient thread with many broken links:
could someone please point me to a still available free rig to do some animation test with?
Thanks in advance...
;)

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 01 Jun 2016, 14:29

If you search RRay, there are a number of them there, and you can also still download (after registering) the Malcom Rig from AnimSchool which is a very complete rig with easy controls (that are also very elaborate especially for the eyes) that you can just start animating.

Draise

Post by Draise » 01 Jun 2016, 16:46

I found a bunch of them on Creativecrash. Some of them are pretty good in my opinion.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 01 Jun 2016, 17:12

Which rig would you say would be best/easiest to use? :-\

Draise

Post by Draise » 01 Jun 2016, 18:44

Hirazi Blue wrote:Which rig would you say would be best/easiest to use? :-\
Bee Boyis one of my favorites, simple, great synoptic, interseting style, but it may not be in your character.

The Simple Bot Rig is also pretty easy. Good for practicing walking around, cartoon expressionism.

Moom XSI is all pretty self explanitory - reminiscent of Animation Mentor's rigs they use.

Norman also is a very cool rig, but it's a little more "complete" and complicated - also reminiscent of Animation Mentor's rigs they use. Great for acting.