The free rig thread

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

ccRig 1.1Author: Christopher Crouzet
Going through his website logs, Christopher recently found consistent entries requesting a deleted page for his 2008 ccRig. This led him to put the rig back online, due to its prototype status only for educational purposes. This rig was originally a prototype developed as an answer to specific production needs. The arms and legs had to be stretchable, bendable and reliable. The rigging structure is organized as a list of models, each model defining a type of member (arm, leg, ...), so it could be easily generated by script.

Its marked as beta since this release aims to share with other technical artists the idea behind the bendable rigging structure. However the rig is fully functionable and can be used by animators, but at the moment there is no interface (other than the controls box), no utility scripts and no facial.

local backup: ccRig.zip
Roman RigAuthor: Thomas Cannell
Biped rig and rigged character model that Thomas Cannell developed and used on his reel. Watch his reel here!

For information see readme.txt inside the download archive. Developed for Softimage 2011.

local backup: roman_project.rar
Flaco RigAuthor: Javier Vega Garcia
This is an easy rig to be used in animation practices. It is based on the rig provided by XSI on its Biped Guide. I have personalized it and adapted it to the needs I have found all along my animation practices so that it can be useful for me and my students.

Developed for Softimage 2011. For a screenshot see here. Watch Javier's reel here.

local backup: FLACO.rar
Flacobot RigAuthor: Javier Vega Garcia
This builds upon the Flaco rig. It is an easy rig to be used in animation practices. It is based on the rig provided by XSI on its Biped Guide. I have personalized it and adapted it to the needs I have found all along my animation practices so that it can be useful for me and my students.

Developed for Softimage 2011. Flacobot demonstrational video available here on vimeo. Watch Javier's reel here.

local backup: FLACOBOT_V1.rar
Craft Rig 1Author: Tiago Beijoco
The craft rig is a biped rig with a lot of interesting features such as bendable and detachable arms, locking functions, pose mirroring, FK/IK matching etc..

For all the features see this image. Demonstration video can be found on author's site. Developed for Softimage 2011.

local backup: Craft_Rig.rar
IK Joe XSIAuthor: Javier Solsona
Biped rig orginally developed for Maya by Javier Solsona, converted to XSI 3.5 by Stefan Andresson. Contains a toolbar addon. Original cgsociety posting by Stefan can be found here

local backup: sanders.zip
Moom RigAuthor: Ramtin
Character rig originally developed for Maya by Ramtin, converted to XSI 6.0 by Josef Sy. Features IK/FK stretchable arms, head look-at, hide/unhide geo options and a synoptic view.

local backup: MoomXSI_v03.1.zip

Walter RigAuthor: Lucas Martell
Human body rig used by Lucas Martell in his short film »Pigeon Impossible«. See author site for the film and more details.

local backup: WalterRig.zip
Guy RigAuthor: David J. Hammer
A rig and rigged character developed for XSI 5.0. The rig features IK/FK blending for the arms, FK/IK squash and stretch with volume preservation, IK stretchy legs, arms and spine, different orientation controls for head/neck, hands and arms, pin controls, »stop staring« based facial and hand controls, synoptic view.

Download archive contains a AVI demonstration video.

local backup: guy_v1.zip
Human body rigAuthor: Anto Matkovic
A very feature rich human body rig developed for XSI 6.02. Features include auto rigging (fitting!), pinning of hands, elbows and knees, mirroring, roll controls, and a lot more.

local backup: am_body_rig.rar
Rogelio RigAuthor: Jose M.
Features of this biped are IK/FK arms and legs, stretchy arms and legs, deformers (»a lot«), bone base facial rig, reverse and straight feet, synoptic view. Developed for XSI 6.5.

pdf manual included in download archive.

local backup: Rogelio_and_manuals.zip
Edgard RigAuthor: Marcelo Ricardo Ortiz
A rig and rigged character developed for XSI 4.0. The rig features synoptic view, 2 independent face rig controls, custom hand and body poses, face shapes.

Download archive contains an AVI demonstration video.

local backup: Edgard_Download.zip
BeeBoy RigAuthor: Rodrigo Ribeiro
Rig and rigged character originally developed for Maya by Rodrigo Ribeiro, converted to Softimage 2011 by everyFrame. Features include: IK/FK arms and legs with G/L aligns, stretchy limbs, stretchy mesh, full FK finger, lip, and footroll controls, FK torso, global scaling.

local backup: BeeBoy.zip
Simple Bot Rig Author: dreamtalks
Production-proven cartoon rig of a 2-legged character. Not for commercial use.

local backup: Bot_RIG.rar

Issues concerning rigging & Face Robot...
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

The free rig thread

Post by Hirazi Blue » 01 Jun 2010, 16:37

Some free rigs for (X)SI still floating around on the internet...
In no particular order (& I am not sure if they all still work)
Feel free to add to this list (as it is far from complete, I'm afraid)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

craft

Re: The free rig thread

Post by craft » 03 Jun 2010, 06:00

Matheus Matkovic's rig: http://www.matkovic.com/anto/xsi_rigs.html (damn nice, by the way)

zossowosso

Post by zossowosso » 04 Jun 2010, 19:29

thank you
'ERROR : 2011 - Unable to write well in English [CLSID\{F123FC55-ABD9-4D7F-9CDD-7F9D61E71FFE}] : %SUMATRAPATH%\ English.dll not found'

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 04 Jun 2010, 23:26

craft wrote:Matheus Matkovic's rig: http://www.matkovic.com/anto/xsi_rigs.html (damn nice, by the way)
thanks, but this one was made for unusual purpose, like transferring motion capture with XSI Foundation (no MOTOR), game walk cycles... there are tons of controls for walking, but nothing like stretchy bones and so on... JAVA code is horrible, I made it on the fly through the few years, just by adding what I needed form time to time. It's for XSI 6, I'll be surprised if it works with newer Softimages.

tuna

Post by tuna » 16 Jun 2010, 06:45

Simple but appealing AM style ball with legs here: http://www.creativecrash.com/xsi/downlo ... le-bot-rig

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 04 Jul 2010, 09:05

Over at XSIBase "everyFrame" presents a Softimage version of the Maya rig BeeBoy:
go to the thread here
;)

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 25 Jul 2010, 10:51

Javier Vega has just released "Flacobot V1.05", which is actually a second version of his original "Flaco" rig.
Watch a short demo video here
Download it from here

zao3d

Post by zao3d » 25 Jul 2010, 15:30

Hi to everybody,

Another free rig can be added here.

I finished this rig for practice in animation's lessons, and I want to share with all the community.

http://www.zao3d.com/2010/descargas.html

Enjoy with the rig!
Last edited by zao3d on 25 Jul 2010, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.

craft

Post by craft » 25 Jul 2010, 15:49

muchas gracias Zao :) nice going with the color switching feat. it's cool for multi-character interaction (would be fun if you could animate that).
i like the synoptic and new model too.
keep up

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 25 Jul 2010, 16:30

@zoa3d - My post, right above yours, also announced the Flacobot... X( ;)

zao3d

Post by zao3d » 25 Jul 2010, 16:33

Yes, you are right... sorry! I didn't noticed!

AceMastermind

Post by AceMastermind » 03 Aug 2010, 07:39

I have uploaded Lucas Martell's WalterRig that he released on THIS webpage since it is no longer available there.

Update 8/7/2010
Lucas Martell has now restored the link on THIS webpage.
Last edited by AceMastermind on 31 Dec 2011, 00:28, edited 1 time in total.

rray

Post by rray » 13 Aug 2010, 14:11

Great collection!
(I hope nobody does mind I dumped these on rray.de :-ss source link to this thread is included )
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 13 Aug 2010, 20:26

No, I for one do not mind... :-bd
I started a similar thread on the German Softimage Forum long ago as I found there are quite a few free rigs floating around the internet, but somehow nobody bothered to keep updated links to them, giving the users the impression there were far less of them, than there actually were/are...
And the original lack of free rigs on rray.de was another consideration, obviously... :-j :D

DUAJISIN

Post by DUAJISIN » 15 Mar 2011, 00:43

We definitely need a Morpheus rig..
Roman is very nice, it is just not that generic.

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 15 Mar 2011, 10:53

Any ICE rigs yet?