The free rig thread

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

ccRig 1.1Author: Christopher Crouzet
Going through his website logs, Christopher recently found consistent entries requesting a deleted page for his 2008 ccRig. This led him to put the rig back online, due to its prototype status only for educational purposes. This rig was originally a prototype developed as an answer to specific production needs. The arms and legs had to be stretchable, bendable and reliable. The rigging structure is organized as a list of models, each model defining a type of member (arm, leg, ...), so it could be easily generated by script.

Its marked as beta since this release aims to share with other technical artists the idea behind the bendable rigging structure. However the rig is fully functionable and can be used by animators, but at the moment there is no interface (other than the controls box), no utility scripts and no facial.

local backup: ccRig.zip
Roman RigAuthor: Thomas Cannell
Biped rig and rigged character model that Thomas Cannell developed and used on his reel. Watch his reel here!

For information see readme.txt inside the download archive. Developed for Softimage 2011.

local backup: roman_project.rar
Flaco RigAuthor: Javier Vega Garcia
This is an easy rig to be used in animation practices. It is based on the rig provided by XSI on its Biped Guide. I have personalized it and adapted it to the needs I have found all along my animation practices so that it can be useful for me and my students.

Developed for Softimage 2011. For a screenshot see here. Watch Javier's reel here.

local backup: FLACO.rar
Flacobot RigAuthor: Javier Vega Garcia
This builds upon the Flaco rig. It is an easy rig to be used in animation practices. It is based on the rig provided by XSI on its Biped Guide. I have personalized it and adapted it to the needs I have found all along my animation practices so that it can be useful for me and my students.

Developed for Softimage 2011. Flacobot demonstrational video available here on vimeo. Watch Javier's reel here.

local backup: FLACOBOT_V1.rar
Craft Rig 1Author: Tiago Beijoco
The craft rig is a biped rig with a lot of interesting features such as bendable and detachable arms, locking functions, pose mirroring, FK/IK matching etc..

For all the features see this image. Demonstration video can be found on author's site. Developed for Softimage 2011.

local backup: Craft_Rig.rar
IK Joe XSIAuthor: Javier Solsona
Biped rig orginally developed for Maya by Javier Solsona, converted to XSI 3.5 by Stefan Andresson. Contains a toolbar addon. Original cgsociety posting by Stefan can be found here

local backup: sanders.zip
Moom RigAuthor: Ramtin
Character rig originally developed for Maya by Ramtin, converted to XSI 6.0 by Josef Sy. Features IK/FK stretchable arms, head look-at, hide/unhide geo options and a synoptic view.

local backup: MoomXSI_v03.1.zip

Walter RigAuthor: Lucas Martell
Human body rig used by Lucas Martell in his short film »Pigeon Impossible«. See author site for the film and more details.

local backup: WalterRig.zip
Guy RigAuthor: David J. Hammer
A rig and rigged character developed for XSI 5.0. The rig features IK/FK blending for the arms, FK/IK squash and stretch with volume preservation, IK stretchy legs, arms and spine, different orientation controls for head/neck, hands and arms, pin controls, »stop staring« based facial and hand controls, synoptic view.

Download archive contains a AVI demonstration video.

local backup: guy_v1.zip
Human body rigAuthor: Anto Matkovic
A very feature rich human body rig developed for XSI 6.02. Features include auto rigging (fitting!), pinning of hands, elbows and knees, mirroring, roll controls, and a lot more.

local backup: am_body_rig.rar
Rogelio RigAuthor: Jose M.
Features of this biped are IK/FK arms and legs, stretchy arms and legs, deformers (»a lot«), bone base facial rig, reverse and straight feet, synoptic view. Developed for XSI 6.5.

pdf manual included in download archive.

local backup: Rogelio_and_manuals.zip
Edgard RigAuthor: Marcelo Ricardo Ortiz
A rig and rigged character developed for XSI 4.0. The rig features synoptic view, 2 independent face rig controls, custom hand and body poses, face shapes.

Download archive contains an AVI demonstration video.

local backup: Edgard_Download.zip
BeeBoy RigAuthor: Rodrigo Ribeiro
Rig and rigged character originally developed for Maya by Rodrigo Ribeiro, converted to Softimage 2011 by everyFrame. Features include: IK/FK arms and legs with G/L aligns, stretchy limbs, stretchy mesh, full FK finger, lip, and footroll controls, FK torso, global scaling.

local backup: BeeBoy.zip
Simple Bot Rig Author: dreamtalks
Production-proven cartoon rig of a 2-legged character. Not for commercial use.

local backup: Bot_RIG.rar

Issues concerning rigging & Face Robot...
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: The free rig thread

Post by Hirazi Blue » 01 Jun 2016, 19:59

Thanks... :ymhug:
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 09 Jun 2016, 13:12

Hirazi Blue wrote:Which rig would you say would be best/easiest to use? :-\
Are you asking about an auto rigger or something like a full developed character such as Moom and the Malcolm rig ?

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 09 Jun 2016, 16:59

Both. I've tried using Gear, but I am having extreme difficulties trying to scale the guide to fit my characters... ;)

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 10 Jun 2016, 03:22

While Jeremie's page goes trough setting up rigs from scratch,
https://vimeo.com/user5191915/videos/page:2/sort:date

All the way to (recently added) more advanced Modular Rigging with Python in Softimage
https://vimeo.com/user5191915/videos/page:1/sort:date

Here are a few basic & quick GEAR clips ::

BVH Mocap to Gear using MOTOR

Setting-up limb scale to character,

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 12 Jun 2016, 06:27

Hirazi Blue wrote:Both. I've tried using Gear, but I am having extreme difficulties trying to scale the guide to fit my characters... ;)
Try using the Masashi Yamaguchi Rig. I posted a thread on this about a month ago. The myRig works best for me.

Download link on second post from here http://www.si-community.com/community/v ... 789#p54789

If you're having trouble scaling the rig to fit your character, you may want to try the reverse. Meaning, scale your character to fit your rig. Once the rigging part is done, you can rescale the entire rig and character from the Global Control.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 13 Jun 2016, 15:41

xsi_fanatic wrote: Try using the Masashi Yamaguchi Rig. I posted a thread on this about a month ago. The myRig works best for me.

Download link on second post from here http://www.si-community.com/community/v ... 789#p54789
Indeed!

I thought it was part of this thread but it wasn't

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 20 Jun 2016, 14:03

xsi_fanatic wrote:Try using the Masashi Yamaguchi Rig. I posted a thread on this about a month ago. The myRig works best for me.
Thanks for the suggestion. For one thing scaling its guide seems way easier than scaling a Gear guide... (but I am sure I am doing something wrong...)
only scaling the controls for the hands give me problems ATM.
;)

gaboraa

Post by gaboraa » 21 Jun 2016, 10:45

Hirazi Blue wrote:Both. I've tried using Gear, but I am having extreme difficulties trying to scale the guide to fit my characters... ;)
What kind of problems are you having? I am just moving not scaling the guide parts which gives me nice resuts. Also having an independant shadow bone hierarchy solves most of my problem.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 21 Jun 2016, 19:42

The main problem I am having, both with Gear and with MyRig, is the placement of the necessary control objects for the hands and feet.
One other issue: how do you enable symmetry on the Gear guide?
:-\

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 21 Jun 2016, 20:32

Are you using Gear or the updated Gear_MC rigging system?

There is a serie of Video on TD Survival that explain Gear_mc and they also respond to questions if you have trouble.

https://vimeo.com/tdsurvival
Last edited by Daniel Brassard on 21 Jun 2016, 20:35, edited 2 times in total.
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 21 Jun 2016, 20:33

I am currently still using "vanilla" Gear... ;)

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 21 Jun 2016, 20:33

The gear guide doesn't have symmetry, rather you place the guide correctly on one side, then duplicate symmetry using the gear>character>guide tools ppg.

What problem do you have with the hand/finger placement?

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 22 Jun 2016, 11:02

mattmos wrote:What problem do you have with the hand/finger placement?
As a NOOB I simply haven't got a clue, where all the controls should be correctly placed when dealing with a new model... =((

gaboraa

Post by gaboraa » 22 Jun 2016, 12:10

Hirazi Blue wrote:
mattmos wrote:What problem do you have with the hand/finger placement?
As a NOOB I simply haven't got a clue, where all the controls should be correctly placed when dealing with a new model... =((
I recomment watching Jeremie Passerin's videos, extremely vauable information he shared in his videos that you might be OF help.

https://vimeo.com/16953680