Setting reference poses and reset actor commands

Issues concerning rigging & Face Robot...
minilogoguy18

Setting reference poses and reset actor commands

Post by minilogoguy18 » 19 Mar 2019, 18:14

I was under the impression that I could set a new reference pose by selecting the mesh and choosing Animate>Deform>Envelope>Set Reference Poses but when using the Reset Actor command the newly set pose doesn't take and the mesh just snaps back to the original pose it was in when the envelope was created. Am I doing something wrong here? I'm trying to remove some deformers while keeping the current pose which is now going to be the base pose for the hands, not trying to manually edit the vertex's in the hands to get them back where they were.

rray

Re: Setting reference poses and reset actor commands

Post by rray » 19 Mar 2019, 19:24

It's doing as it's meant to. Set reference pose is meant just for the joints, you set the new pose that "reset actor" goes to. It will do a "reset actor" automatically which is what resets the mesh to undeformed.

It would be useful sometimes to have an option to keep the mesh deformed as it is.

But you can do ths as a workaround: make a copy of the mesh and freeze the copy. The set the reference pose and then do shape->select shape key with the copy. To clean up the shape stuff freeze the op stack downwards from the shape operator and then delete the shape cluster key and the copy.

Note if you pose the mesh then as it was in the original reference pose, it will not have the original shape because the envelope op is not invertible. This is probably why that option wasn't implemented.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

minilogoguy18

Post by minilogoguy18 » 19 Mar 2019, 20:47

Thanks, that worked great.

rray

Post by rray » 19 Mar 2019, 20:56

Nice, let me know in case you find a good pose for the wrist. For all the other bones 45 degrees worked best so far. Just not for the wrist because it goes almost through 180 degree and also sideways.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024