dynamic chains

Issues concerning rigging & Face Robot...
craft

dynamic chains

Post by craft » 25 May 2010, 02:58

I was trying to create a dynamic (spring) chain today and this is as far as i've gone with it. Definitely not the effect i'm after.
All the operators are updating simultaneously at every frame, and they should update sequentially instead: from the root to the tip, using the updated position of each bone in the next one's calculations. As a result i get some funky behaviours and some undesired compression, specially with faster movements.
any idea on how to solve this? (a plug-in with an event handler, maybe?)

Mathaeus

Re: dynamic chains

Post by Mathaeus » 25 May 2010, 09:57

Hi

Mt_spring, has this functionality, and is very reliable, I've used it even for secondary motion of arms. AFAIK, it uses parent-child relationship, each segment has it's own operator.
Also, there are a few more spring operators that Helge did, Mt-rigz, these new Studio Nest tools.

Cheers

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 25 May 2010, 10:10

Keep in mind, you'll have to use the link address mentioned in the very last reply of that blog entry,
the original download link doesn't work anymore...
Follow this link (which is the same) ;)

edit: you might however also want to check out studionest's brigks (featuring Helge Matthee :D ). I haven't tried this,
but I assume the spring solvers in that package are worth looking into as well...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

craft

Post by craft » 25 May 2010, 13:20

thank you both very much! :)
Should've stated that I'm aware of Helge's MT_spring. I also know of studionest's add-on but never really tested it's solvers. (thanks for reminding me)
I must, however, understand how to make them myself in order to implement into something I'm writting - which happens to need one of these algorithms at some point. Wouldn't be fair to use someone else's work.

Anyway, I'm having fun with this springs stuff. just two days after understanding how to make a translation/rotation/scale spring (it's quite simple) I was finding use for a modified version of it in a rig.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 25 May 2010, 13:59

Well you can always take a look how these tools are implemented. From my knowledge, with standard XSI kinematics, people tends to separate 'evaluation points' to objects ( word 'evaluation point' is my construction ), in many cases it's one SCOP or one constraint per object.

Cheers