Roll division

Issues concerning rigging & Face Robot...
minilogoguy18

Roll division

Post by minilogoguy18 » 10 Jan 2017, 03:43

I've got a simple game character skeleton that will be using just 1 roll division on each arm bone and the thigh bone. I've got the entire rig already set up but I can't seem to get a good result for the arm roll. I'm using separate controllers to move the arm end effector and the hand bone. What I'm looking to do is to be able to rotate my hand controller and get a good forearm twist from it. I tried to use the make spine along the arm since it has good twist but I keep getting odd flipping.

Is there a simple roll division solution out there that I can use without making some sort of complex ICE tree?

BTW, I'm free to make it however, the game skeleton is a FK chain of nulls where the bones in the rig drive them, pretty much built a shadow rig for simplicity in the game.

gaboraa

Re: Roll division

Post by gaboraa » 10 Jan 2017, 12:28

When creating custom rigs, I use Gear alot. You could use Gear_mc's new solvers for such things. I recommend looking at "Interpose" and "Spine Point At Op" solvers

https://vimeo.com/73304788

minilogoguy18

Post by minilogoguy18 » 10 Jan 2017, 18:29

Gear isn't really an option, I'm just a lowly game modder using the old 7.5 Mod Tool version.

I've got everything sorted out but this, can't seem to make one that doesn't eventually break or have problems.

The rig...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX_iozAzkcE

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 10 Jan 2017, 20:24

Model looking cool in action good job so far! I especially like when you rotate his back he looks massive!

Im pretty new to these stuff, so forgive me if i say something stupid ,, hmm so what if you use parameter conection editor to force the forearm twist when you rotate the hand bone controller? Is that even helpful, heh not sure what im talkng about :p

minilogoguy18

Post by minilogoguy18 » 11 Jan 2017, 01:55

That works for that one controller which is the one most needed but I also have a bicep roll and thigh roll that needs solving. I'm thinking of disecting the spine object to see if I can get the same twisting motion the spine object has without the other effects.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

I tried following along with the second post in this thread but I guess I did something wrong. It'd be nice to see a schematic view or something of the setup mentioned.

http://www.si-community.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5206&p=45027#p45027

gaboraa

Post by gaboraa » 11 Jan 2017, 09:25

minilogoguy18 wrote:That works for that one controller which is the one most needed but I also have a bicep roll and thigh roll that needs solving. I'm thinking of disecting the spine object to see if I can get the same twisting motion the spine object has without the other effects.
What hinders you not to add more expressions for all the other roll bones? If you set one, you can continue passing that rotation value to drive other roll bones as well by dividing the desired rotation axis to 2 or whatever value you need. Example: bicepRoll_bone.kine.local.rotx/2

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 11 Jan 2017, 21:34

I wanted to say this ^^ but i stoped in the middle :P

minilogoguy18

Post by minilogoguy18 » 12 Jan 2017, 03:11

gaboraa wrote:
minilogoguy18 wrote:That works for that one controller which is the one most needed but I also have a bicep roll and thigh roll that needs solving. I'm thinking of disecting the spine object to see if I can get the same twisting motion the spine object has without the other effects.
What hinders you not to add more expressions for all the other roll bones? If you set one, you can continue passing that rotation value to drive other roll bones as well by dividing the desired rotation axis to 2 or whatever value you need. Example: bicepRoll_bone.kine.local.rotx/2
Thanks, that worked perfectly. I'm sorta an amateur with expressions. I know how to set simple stuff up using the parameter connection editor, it's how I achieved my foot roll setup but never even used the actual expression editor where you're manually typing out the command string.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 12 Jan 2017, 12:41

minilogoguy18 wrote: Thanks, that worked perfectly. I'm sorta an amateur with expressions. I know how to set simple stuff up using the parameter connection editor, it's how I achieved my foot roll setup but never even used the actual expression editor where you're manually typing out the command string.
If there is no fcurve animation on parameters, you can link parameters using a plain drag and drop from one divot to another. Once expression is created, no big deal to add some *0.5 or like. Parameter connection editor is feature added around XSI 5 to make easier life for Mayans using XSI, I think.

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 12 Jan 2017, 18:12

Glad you find a solution, i wanna see more of this char in action.

minilogoguy18

Post by minilogoguy18 » 16 Jan 2017, 03:28

Well I can't take credit for the model, that was done by another member of the team, I'm just tasked with the custom rig and animation set.

https://jkhub.org/forum/63-dark-forces-ii-mod/

It's just a game mod aimed at recreated an old SW game that we're making in our free time so who knows when it'll be done, so far just the first level is complete.

gaboraa

Post by gaboraa » 16 Jan 2017, 10:21

looks really cool, keep us posted \m/