Question about SkinMorph.

Issues concerning rigging & Face Robot...
alias3ds

Question about SkinMorph.

Post by alias3ds » 20 Jul 2016, 15:17

Hi There

I'm inquiring about how to do Morph with the rigging model after sculpting reference model in Mudbox and then importing back to xsi.

Because after I applied Shape Deform to rigging model, the incorret deformation appeared. See the attachment.

Any help is welcome. Thank you

Alias
Attachments
SkinFX.jpg

CYTE

Re: Question about SkinMorph.

Post by CYTE » 22 Jul 2016, 12:48

Hey alias,
i think your sculpted model has already some bone deformation applied. that is not good. when you sculpt in mudbox, sculpt on the "unboned" hand. you can load a "boned" hand inside mudbox as morph target. after that you sculpt your detail. when you are finished disable the morphtarget inside mudbox, and export the sculpted "unboned" mesh. another way you can achieve your wrinkles is by using a displacement map. you can write them out of mudbox.
cheers

rray

Post by rray » 22 Jul 2016, 16:25

You can do this in Softimage too, this is usually what secondary shape mode is for. When you call "apply shape" after modeling in secondary shape mode, your tweaks will go through an "inverted envelope deform" before being stored.

One issue here is of course that you're not working in the model's operator stack, but have an outside model.

You can put it there however using ICE .. switch to secondary shape mode and create this ICE tree on the envelope deformed model

then call "store shape key" or "store and apply shape key"

-rr
Last edited by rray on 23 Jul 2016, 12:36, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: merged 2 posts
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

alias3ds

Post by alias3ds » 23 Jul 2016, 10:17

CYTE wrote:Hey alias,
i think your sculpted model has already some bone deformation applied. that is not good. when you sculpt in mudbox, sculpt on the "unboned" hand. you can load a "boned" hand inside mudbox as morph target. after that you sculpt your detail. when you are finished disable the morphtarget inside mudbox, and export the sculpted "unboned" mesh. another way you can achieve your wrinkles is by using a displacement map. you can write them out of mudbox.
cheers
Hi CYTE

Thank your very much for your reply.

I followed the first way and did some test, but some problems arose :( . See the attachment.
Am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

Regards
Alias
Attachments
mudbox.jpg

alias3ds

Post by alias3ds » 23 Jul 2016, 10:27

Hi rr

Thanks for your help. But the image you attached can not be seen. Could you please re-send it? Thanks.

Regards
Alias

rray

Post by rray » 23 Jul 2016, 12:37

Hi - converted it to jpg

alias3ds

Post by alias3ds » 24 Jul 2016, 14:03

rray wrote:Hi - converted it to jpg
Hi rr

The way you taught me works perfect! I can get the effect that I want now :D .
Really thanks very much for your kind help.

Regards
Alias

rray

Post by rray » 27 Jul 2016, 14:49

you're welcome glad it worked out.

btw just tried the same in Maya. It finally introduced "shape invert" in the last version too - but this operator stack trick isn't possible because it's more like a black box implementation.

So it looks like you can only invert tweaks of the model itself, not outside meshes.

alias3ds

Post by alias3ds » 19 Aug 2019, 17:42

rray wrote: 22 Jul 2016, 16:25 You can do this in Softimage too, this is usually what secondary shape mode is for. When you call "apply shape" after modeling in secondary shape mode, your tweaks will go through an "inverted envelope deform" before being stored.

One issue here is of course that you're not working in the model's operator stack, but have an outside model.

You can put it there however using ICE .. switch to secondary shape mode and create this ICE tree on the envelope deformed model

then call "store shape key" or "store and apply shape key"

-rr
Hi rr

How are you doing?

Last time you taught me how to solve the incorret deformation when applied Shape Deform to rigging model. It worked perfectly. Thanks very much.

Now I meet the same problem, what was worse, my hard drive which saved the answer crashed. So I back here to see your reply. But I can't see the photo you send to you. Is there any way that you could re-send to me? Thanks a million.

Regards
Alias

rray

Post by rray » 19 Aug 2019, 20:03

Hello Alias.
Took a little forum break but doing fine, thanks! You're doing quite alright yourself?

I'll try to find the missing image -- I think I even have a faint memory about what that trick was, will write back once it comes back to me fully ;)
Cheers
rr

alias3ds

Post by alias3ds » 20 Aug 2019, 05:43

Hi rr

I'm doing great. Thanks.

It is so nice to receive your reply and I really appreciate for your help :) .

Regards
Alias

rray

Post by rray » 20 Aug 2019, 12:38

Ah ok I remember the trick was to switch to secondary shape mode and then transfer the point positions of the sculpted target using ICE...

This would be done with an ICE tree in the deformed model secondary shape stack like this

(sculpted target --> get point positions --> switch context --> set point positions)

After that "store and apply shape key"

this should send it though the inverted envelope computation, after that you should have the base shape required and the "tweaks" (ice tree) automatically removed

Cheers -rr

alias3ds

Post by alias3ds » 22 Aug 2019, 06:08

Hi rr

It works! Thanks very much for your great help!

Hope you have a nice day.

Cheers
Alias