Modular Rigging - How?

Issues concerning rigging & Face Robot...
Draise

Modular Rigging - How?

Post by Draise » 19 Jul 2016, 21:52

I want to create a library of arms, legs, bodies, facial aspects (like eyes, mouths, adornments). Then have each rigged to similar modular rig systems - where I can tag one arm with the same animation os the other arm - then swap and switch body parts to create new procedurally generated characters.

I have an idea as to how to do this, but how would you? What is your approach?

I would love to give it a try with ICE also - any pointers? Hints? Tutorials, tips or tricks?

For starters, I was thinking to build the parts with GEAR on each library piece, chop up the rig, then swap out the parts with ICE or something - and with that the same naming conventions would work with a library of animations - or learn how to rig in ICE and try there instead of GEAR.

What would you recommend?

gaboraa

Re: Modular Rigging - How?

Post by gaboraa » 20 Jul 2016, 10:13

You could do that in Gear. Don't forget that you can attach any separate rig part together with constraints if you know what to do. And when you convert your animation into clips, you can load your clips on other instance rig parts easily.

Draise

Re: Modular Rigging - How?

Post by Draise » 12 Aug 2016, 19:06

I gave a simple try with Gear making limbs. I also used some constrained to surface nulls to position the limbs to a body with ICE controlled body shapes. I also constrained the IK controls to offset controls so that I can animate the gear rig with the IK controls offset. I had planned to build an ICE size fixerupper but each body type - but I am running out of time.
But the shape randomizer for the body using ICE and arrays workes quite wel and easily.

The more you learn with ICE the more fun Softimage gets!