Help applying IK on null rig

Issues concerning rigging & Face Robot...
trea

Help applying IK on null rig

Post by trea » 13 Apr 2016, 00:21

Hi. I have a model imported from a FBX file. The rig is made up of null joints and I'd like to know how to use IK much like when you draw a 2D skeleton. I'm new to softimage rigging and I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction. I am using Softimage 2015 SP2.

Thank you,
Trea

xsi_fanatic

Re: Help applying IK on null rig

Post by xsi_fanatic » 03 May 2016, 21:25

trea wrote:Hi. I have a model imported from a FBX file. The rig is made up of null joints and I'd like to know how to use IK much like when you draw a 2D skeleton. I'm new to softimage rigging and I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction. I am using Softimage 2015 SP2.

Thank you,
Trea
Hi Trea,

I can certainly help you out with that. But it's easy but a bit lengthy. Would you like to chat in person ?

trea

Post by trea » 08 May 2016, 13:58

Yes, that would be great thank you. :)

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 08 May 2016, 15:28

trea wrote:Yes, that would be great thank you. :)
Cool, PM me your email and/or Skype. I'll send you some scene samples and walk you through the process.

AceMastermind

Post by AceMastermind » 09 May 2016, 01:09

You can restore IK by using the null chains as a snap guide to redraw 2d bone chains and rename the new bones accordingly. Then you could save a weight preset and envelope the mesh to the new skeleton and apply the preset or you could just constrain the null chains to the 2d bone chains.

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 09 May 2016, 04:23

AceMastermind wrote:You can restore IK by using the null chains as a snap guide to redraw 2d bone chains and rename the new bones accordingly. Then you could save a weight preset and envelope the mesh to the new skeleton and apply the preset or you could just constrain the null chains to the 2d bone chains.
Hi Manny,

I found that constraining the nulls is the quicker solution. Provided that you don't have to rig everything from scratch. Personally I do this using the myRig autorigger plugin. Simple, yet sophisticated plugin.

AceMastermind

Post by AceMastermind » 09 May 2016, 16:04

xsi_fanatic wrote:Hi Manny, ...
You have mistaken me for 3DMastermind (Manny Papamanos). :p

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 10 May 2016, 10:21

AceMastermind wrote:
xsi_fanatic wrote:Hi Manny, ...
You have mistaken me for 3DMastermind (Manny Papamanos). :p
Hahaha ! Sorry about that. :))

trea

Post by trea » 10 May 2016, 18:17

Thanks to xsi_fanatic for guiding me through on skype. I found the myRig plugin to be very well made and offered a lot of control. I now understand constrains with XSI a lot better than before. You can view xsi_fanatic's videos in this thread.
AceMastermind wrote:You can restore IK by using the null chains as a snap guide to redraw 2d bone chains and rename the new bones accordingly. Then you could save a weight preset and envelope the mesh to the new skeleton and apply the preset or you could just constrain the null chains to the 2d bone chains.
Ah that's also a great solution, thank you.