GEAR scaling problem

Issues concerning rigging & Face Robot...
probiner

GEAR scaling problem

Post by probiner » 01 Sep 2015, 13:07

Hi
For a while now I've been using Gear and it's been quite nice. I have a question for those that have used it regularly:

How to solve the problems that arise in some components when scaling up the model?

Note: I know the guides usually don't have the arm and legs hierarchies parented to "local_C0_ctl", so it's not that issue.

For example take the chicken and the dog:

If I scale "local_C0_ctl" to 10.0 it looks like this, stretches in. Notice the spine nulls shooting out.

If I scale "local_C0_ctl" to 20.0 it looks like this, it stretches out. The spine nulls are out of the screen now.

In the case of the chicken guide (not the rig model) the feet also go crazy when converted to rig.
So it seems that the components "chain_cns" and "spine", don't go along well with scaling the "local_C0_ctl" (I also tried the parameter instead of kine pose and same results)

Now, I know it's good to have good specs for size when starting to do a rig, and to be honest I haven't had a problem scaling things up and down a little. But, reality is not always rational and tidy as we wish, and sometimes, I have to prop up a model and later it is re-used for a different scene with different constrains, where this issue was raised and I was wondering if someone else using GEAR had found this and tackled it. I'm wondering if it is related some curve length or similar. Also for those using Maya, maybe this is worth to check.

Thanks

mattmos

Re: GEAR scaling problem

Post by mattmos » 01 Sep 2015, 13:42

Rather than scale the local ctl, there is a scale parameter underneath the global ctl (I think) which allows for limited scaling, up to 3x.

There are a few oddities that can occur when scaling the gear rigs in general, its better to scale scenes around them if possible.

probiner

Post by probiner » 01 Sep 2015, 14:08

mattmos wrote:Rather than scale the local ctl, there is a scale parameter underneath the global ctl (I think) which allows for limited scaling, up to 3x.

There are a few oddities that can occur when scaling the gear rigs in general, its better to scale scenes around them if possible.
probiner wrote: So it seems that the components "chain_cns" and "spine", don't go along well with scaling the "local_C0_ctl" (I also tried the parameter instead of kine pose and same results)
probiner wrote: Now, I know it's good to have good specs for size when starting to do a rig, and to be honest I haven't had a problem scaling things up and down a little. But, reality is not always rational and tidy as we wish, and sometimes, I have to prop up a model and later it is re-used for a different scene with different constrains, where this issue was raised and I was wondering if someone else using GEAR had found this and tackled it.
Hi mattmos.
Yeah, I took those into consideration. It's a shame. I had some problems when for example scaling Species' Prop rigs here and there in extreme cases but the Anim rig seems to scale well enough.

Cheers

Draise

Post by Draise » 03 Sep 2015, 06:58

Yeah, what he said, there is a rig scale parameter. Best not scale the parent.

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 03 Sep 2015, 12:44

probiner wrote:
mattmos wrote:Rather than scale the local ctl, there is a scale parameter underneath the global ctl (I think) which allows for limited scaling, up to 3x.

probiner wrote: So it seems that the components "chain_cns" and "spine", don't go along well with scaling the "local_C0_ctl" (I also tried the parameter instead of kine pose and same results)
probiner wrote: Now, I know it's good to have good specs for size when starting to do a rig, and to be honest I haven't had a problem scaling things up and down a little. But, reality is not always rational and tidy as we wish, and sometimes, I have to prop up a model and later it is re-used for a different scene with different constrains, where this issue was raised and I was wondering if someone else using GEAR had found this and tackled it.
Hi mattmos.
Yeah, I took those into consideration. It's a shame. I had some problems when for example scaling Species' Prop rigs here and there in extreme cases but the Anim rig seems to scale well enough.

Cheers
Ah sorry, I rushed through that post a bit! The dog spine controls are offset by the expression on the neutral pose, so you could unlock that and add something like / dog.global_C0_ctl.anim_prop.rigScale onto the end, bracketing the rest. That would work with the global scale attribute.

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 12 Oct 2015, 08:29

Did anyone solved this?
There´s no "setting" to scale RIG under the "Man Guide" or "Controlers_org" or "local_C0_root"
I need to scale the entire guide rig by exactly half.
When I do scaling the "local_C0_Icon", all generated implicit control geometry, generates as it´s original size
thus the controllers are big and offseted.

Please help.
What else do I need to adjust?
Thanks.