Softimage Biped Rig - version 2013 upvectors broke

Issues concerning rigging & Face Robot...
juca

Softimage Biped Rig - version 2013 upvectors broke

Post by juca » 25 Nov 2012, 22:12

Hi All,
I'm finding a few issues with the Biped rig in SI.
Ive used this rig for a while now and not experienced these issues before.

After setting my character up using the Biped rig and posing him to animate, I noticed the upvectors for the upper body no longer work. I tracked back through 5 past scene files and they are no longer working.
When I go to move them they arm moves ever so slightly then does'nt work!!!

I have tried manually setting them up again. Selected the top bone of the arm chain and skeleton>chain upvector but no joy.

I don't really want to have to re process, transfer all my weights again :(

any suggestions appreciated

Thanks,
Jon

mattmos

Re: Softimage Biped Rig - version 2013 upvectors broke

Post by mattmos » 26 Nov 2012, 10:00

Are you switching from fk to ik?

The upvector can stop working with the IK when there are rotation keyframes on the upper arm. You can activate the force ik checkbox which should resolve it, or remove the rotation animation from the bone to sort it out.

juca

Post by juca » 28 Nov 2012, 20:04

Great!
Thank you Matt for, that worked a treat! I'm pretty sure I hadnt even gone iton the bone properties to blending/switching to IK/FK!

None the less it fixed the issue that I'd not encountered before!

While I've got you, How best is the head bone meant to be controlled.
In the past I have deleted it out and made my own head setup as the one processed seems to flip on itself when using it as FK and the effector doesn't give the rotation movement.

Thanks in advance,
Jon

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 28 Nov 2012, 21:50

I haven't used the biped rig for a while, but when I was using it I think I always built it from the guide with the skeleton options for head and spine rather than the quaternion/spline options (using head in FK mode always) as there were so many issues arising from those components it wasn't worth the hassle. If you can build your own version even better - I like having a head which can rotate and translate freely, to get into any pose you need.