XNA avatar rig?

Issues concerning rigging & Face Robot...
Eric Cosky

XNA avatar rig?

Post by Eric Cosky » 26 Oct 2012, 22:04

Hi

I'm looking for a usable rig for the XBox XNA 4.0 Avatar rig. The one they provide on the xbox site is only for the Mod Tool, and I use the full version which won't load that file.

Does it exist anywhere? I was able to import an enveloped mesh converted from one of the other resources which is an essential step of course, but it loses all the rigging in the process. I'm expecting to have to rig it myself but I'm hoping maybe someone has already done it and wouldn't mind sharing because I have had a lot of difficulty making a rig that works very well (I'm not very good at rigging despite my efforts :| )

Thanks

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: XNA avatar rig?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 26 Oct 2012, 23:11

Hard to tell (so no guarantees) without access to the actual download page,
but did you already try installing the Mod Tool, loading the rig into it and exporting it from there as an FBX
hopefully to be usable in the regular Softimage?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Eric Cosky

Post by Eric Cosky » 26 Oct 2012, 23:21

Yep - FBX transfer works for getting the enveloped mesh, but the rig itself doesn't make it through the process.
It's a pretty simple rig - maybe I can figure it out. It's not a high priority right now, just planning ahead.

dwigfor

Post by dwigfor » 27 Oct 2012, 05:25

Do you need to join creator's club in order to access that rig?

I've been thinking of trying to get back into xna (used v1), now that I understand more of the math (thank you 100% ICE).

I've been also thinking of getting w8 phone for it, but I think xna is currently only compatible with w7.5.

AceMastermind

Post by AceMastermind » 27 Oct 2012, 05:36

http://xbox.create.msdn.com/en-US/educa ... mation_rig
^
Isn't an *.exp file the same as *.scn file, just with a different 3 character extension? These are just archives that can be extracted using 7-zip. If you changed 'exp' to 'scn' can you import this as a scene in your non-Mod Tool version?

Eric Cosky

Post by Eric Cosky » 27 Oct 2012, 07:18

dwigfor, you can get to the avatar rigs here: http://xbox.create.msdn.com/en-US/educa ... mation_rig They are bound to the MS-PL license which doesn't seem to indicate you need to be in the creators club (this wasn't the case with XNA3). Best of luck with it!

AceMasterMind, as far as I know you can't load .exp files in the main version, unfortunately. As I understand it, they are tagged internally to not be loadable even after renaming. Maybe some hacker could figure it out, but I expect its much easier to build a rig from scratch.

AceMastermind

Post by AceMastermind » 27 Oct 2012, 09:50

Eric Cosky wrote:...as far as I know you can't load .exp files in the main version...
Have you tried it? It could save you some time if it works, even if the rig is simple. I can't test it since I use Foundation 5.11 and Mod Tool 7.5.