Automatic clavicle motion in Ice or traditional rigging

Issues concerning rigging & Face Robot...
Pancho

Automatic clavicle motion in Ice or traditional rigging

Post by Pancho » 14 Jul 2012, 20:59

I wonder how to do this. I'm sure I could come up with some ice code to solve it practically, but I wonder how to do this in general as the clavicle movement depends on the rotation of the humerus. But the humerus' rotation depends on the ik solving which needs the position of the origin of the chain for calculation. That's the tip of the clavicle. So I run into some interdependency stuff which will bring ice to crash or is impossible to program.

The only way I could think of is to calculate the Ik first and then check if there is some need to move the clavicle, rotate it and then recalcate the ik ( and then repeat the pro ess again for more precision. But I guess that's a total workflow killer as it will bring the speed of the rig down.

Anybody an idea?

Cheers
Thomas

EricTRocks

Re: Automatic clavicle motion in Ice or traditional rigging

Post by EricTRocks » 15 Jul 2012, 05:00

These automated setups usually fail pretty badly in the hands of animators. It always comes back that the automation is not working as they like it and they would prefer to do it themselves.

If I remember correctly there is a section in the 3dQuakers rigging vids that show how to automate the clavicle. I believe you'll get around cycle dependencies if you are looking at the rotation of the bicep bone to drive the rotation of the clavicle as they aren't dependent. Position is dependent.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken