Need a simple solution for cloth in an older game

Issues concerning rigging & Face Robot...
minilogoguy18

Need a simple solution for cloth in an older game

Post by minilogoguy18 » 04 Mar 2019, 04:29

The title says it all. I've got a game character with a custom skeleton and animation set, the game however is too old to support cloth physics at the time (we are updating the engine) but for now I'm curious about how I can set up a simple cloth solution that wont require physics. I'm thinking of having some null chains that the cloth is weighed to and just plotting their motion using the models leg mesh as some sort of collision and gravity simulation in Softimage. I attempted this once but it's something I'm totally unfamiliar with so I figured I'd ask since this forum usually pulls through when I'm stuck.

Pic for attention lol
Hidden content: [ Show ]

gaboraa

Re: Need a simple solution for cloth in an older game

Post by gaboraa » 04 Mar 2019, 09:17

I did a similar cloth sim for our game because I needed to control the simulation rather than doing it in real-time. I don't remember what I did exactly but it should be like this: do your cloth sim -I did with Ice Syflex- emit particles from this cloth geo evenly, use stick particles to location node for you don't need them to move around. Replace null objects with the particle locations, envelope the geo with the null objects, bake out the animation and done. Of course, there should be some other ways of doing this but that works for me.

minilogoguy18

Post by minilogoguy18 » 04 Apr 2019, 00:48

Not sure exactly how to setup what you're talking about. Wouldn't happen to have an example scene or something?

Pedrito

Post by Pedrito » 05 Apr 2019, 17:26

There you have a scene with the setup @gaboraa said, is very nice in fact and easy to setup!

You have to execute the script that is in the ANOTATION PYTHON_CODE changing the path of the compound to the one you download from here with the pointcloud selected ( don't change name of the pointcloud ) the postSimulated IceTree on the pointcloud is not really simulation happening, is just an optimization so no emision every frame ;)

You should have 2 exactly geometries, grid is the simulated one, grid1 is a exactly copy of that but freezed/static, grid2 is for creating the weights later and see the result.

depending on the number of bones, the script takes a bit to run, after it runs, if you make play, the nulls still computing an icetree wich is slow, so just plot-alltransformations, once done, select all the nulls and freeze them, there you go, a sim converted to bone weights ;)
Attachments
SIM_TO_RIG.rar
(180.39 KiB) Downloaded 141 times

minilogoguy18

Post by minilogoguy18 » 05 Apr 2019, 20:04

Thanks, I'll check this out, will probably want to dissect it to see how it all works. Plotting will be done on export since I'm using dotXSI 3.x for the game engine and the exporter does that all automatically. The character is already setup this way using a shadow rig.