Need a simple solution for cloth in an older game

Issues concerning rigging & Face Robot...
minilogoguy18

Need a simple solution for cloth in an older game

Post by minilogoguy18 » 04 Mar 2019, 04:29

The title says it all. I've got a game character with a custom skeleton and animation set, the game however is too old to support cloth physics at the time (we are updating the engine) but for now I'm curious about how I can set up a simple cloth solution that wont require physics. I'm thinking of having some null chains that the cloth is weighed to and just plotting their motion using the models leg mesh as some sort of collision and gravity simulation in Softimage. I attempted this once but it's something I'm totally unfamiliar with so I figured I'd ask since this forum usually pulls through when I'm stuck.

Pic for attention lol
Hidden content: [ Show ]

gaboraa

Re: Need a simple solution for cloth in an older game

Post by gaboraa » 04 Mar 2019, 09:17

I did a similar cloth sim for our game because I needed to control the simulation rather than doing it in real-time. I don't remember what I did exactly but it should be like this: do your cloth sim -I did with Ice Syflex- emit particles from this cloth geo evenly, use stick particles to location node for you don't need them to move around. Replace null objects with the particle locations, envelope the geo with the null objects, bake out the animation and done. Of course, there should be some other ways of doing this but that works for me.