"LAN-Network" over Internet

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
sant0s

"LAN-Network" over Internet

Post by sant0s » 06 Aug 2018, 13:58

Hey all,

at the moment, I always have to send my scenes to Berlin, setup everything over TeamViewer and press the render button.

Since a month I have quite an amazing upload speed (200 mbits) and thought, why not kinda set up something we have on local LAN?

In Berlin we have a server with 2 harddisks, where we save the projects.
Now I thought, I could just do the same, but instead of local, over the internet.

Is there a "simple" way to do so? Maybe a software like Hitachi, but not for gaming?

Does anyone have experience with that?

Thx alot,
sant0s

Draise

Re: "LAN-Network" over Internet

Post by Draise » 06 Aug 2018, 14:44

Just trying to get my head around it... Are you trying to make a remote connection to a harddrive/tower type thing?

Current workflow:
1. Create workfiles
2. Sync to cloud
3. Download from cloud on remote machine
4. Access remote machine
5. Render on remote machine

You want to make this simpler by.... direct project syncing files and bypassing a cloud sync? Or make the remote access + cloud sync more direct?

btw, jealous of your upload. Very jealous. I only have 1mbit.

sant0s

Post by sant0s » 06 Aug 2018, 14:52

Actually I try the same thing we have in Berlin.

In Berlin we connect all the workstations to the harddrives that are located in our raid server.
Means, in the explorer we choose the option, to connect to network drive (HDD Y and Z), thats the server.
There we save all the projects folders, files, etc.
The render machines do the same - they are connected with the network drives and when they render, they just load the data from there.

The same I would like to do over the internet.
Instead of connecting to the local network drive Y and Z, the render machines in Berlin shall connect to my PC's harddrive X over the internet.

And yea, I had satellite for years now - 25mbits down, 6Mbits up - but satellite has a latency from ~700 and so its even worse than ADSL actually. :D
The internet now (1000/200) is heaven... And its soooooo cheap compared to satellite!

edit:
I just found this: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/i ... ernet.html
Ill try that, maybe its already the solution.

myara

Post by myara » 06 Aug 2018, 16:32

The easiest way would be some sort of cloud solution such as dropbox.
A little more complicated way would be through VPN.
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)

luceric

Post by luceric » 07 Aug 2018, 21:26

with its WebDAV support your windows explorer can use remove cloud-based drive like it's a local one. What you need a WebDAV server on the other end.
you could also start a ftp server on that remote machine, vpn to it and browser it/upload files with windows explorer.

sant0s

Post by sant0s » 07 Aug 2018, 21:37

hey guys,
sry I did not react yet.
It was actually to easy.
I just tried Hitachi again and it works like a charme.

- Install Hitachi on both (or more computers) and run it
- give the folders free, you want to use on the other computer
- add "network adress" on the computer (in my case in berlin) and add the path to the folder. something like "//PC_name/folder_name"

thats it.

I just give access to the project folders and in Berlin they can access these folders like a normal HDD.
When I open a scene in softimage directly over the internet drive, it only gives me ~500kbs... dont know why.
Copy the folder from my drive to the Berlin HDD gives me fullspeed. Dont understand that. Anyone got an idea, whats that problem?
But anyway, its amazing and saves so much time! :)

edit: I mean Hamachi, not Hitach :D

NNois

Post by NNois » 13 Aug 2018, 22:49

Hi,
Actually I do this everyday with a peer to peer sync. I tested all solution out there and it's what I use now for 3 years. The name of the solution is "Resilio Sync" before that it was named bittorent sync.

The really good thing is that it's possible to sync Tb of data without any problems without passing by a cloud solution and, that's great ;-)