What to do next...

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Shredder565

What to do next...

Post by Shredder565 » 26 Nov 2016, 18:50

For 7 years, I've dedicated myself to trying to improve my animation skills and modeling skills by doing forced project schedules. I've found i'm one of those types that will start something, get distracted, and never finish. i needed something involving, yet simple enough to stick with.

Now that I've met and smashed my goal (even though I STILL have much room for improvement..) I'm trying to figure out where to move on to next.

Staying with TMNT is too comfortable a zone. and i'm starting to get a little bored with it to be honest.

How did you keep the creativity going, if you're skills really are not past animatic level of quality?

mc_axe

Re: What to do next...

Post by mc_axe » 27 Nov 2016, 01:49

Ill suggest you to try to research on completely different looks , that will help you on future attempts. Npr or realistic enviroments are used in 3d toons nowadays so you wont loose nothing trying them out.
To learn many things in short time without dying of boredom :p maybe you have to aim to achieve something that will be also potentially good for portfolio reasons, so you could aim for example to create a realistic render of an architect interior (any room), or exterior, or even just a product render in simple studio environment, or even an NPR environment (maybe try card board low poly looks), keep it simple, and maybe aim for a still image so you can focus only in the the looks (shaders, light setup, renderer optimization).

I suggesting you this because i seen that you dont really have the time to focus so much on the looks cause you had to do so many animations, so creating a project dedicated on the looks is a good idea i believe.

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 28 Nov 2016, 02:28

Believe it or not, one of the first things we did in Max was do just that in that one year scam school known as Katherine Gibbs University.

We had to try and create a Room complete with furniture.

I'd LOVE to be able to try and create things with a REALISTIC feel to it, not a toon feel too it.

But i don't think my model skills are up to snuff yet for photo realistic stuff.

But yeah, that is one area i'd love to explore if i knew where to start.

i also find 3D art to be rather relaxing too :)

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 29 Nov 2016, 00:40

that is one area i'd love to explore if i knew where to start.
I can help with the start

You could use mental ray, or you could jump right at redshift if you want to adjust the final result via viewport faster(trial mode has all features no time limit and just a watermark on, not big deal) its an easy setup, then try to create a relatively simple scene modeling wise

like this one (only primitive shapes some bevels and maybe some exrtudes along curve for the slide roof etc, you dont even needs textures if you want to simplify, you can even replace the chains with cables just a cylinder)

Then come and bombard with questions : e.g. how i get simillar materials (i can see 5), how do i get studio type of lightiing like this^^, renderder settings, optimization, im sure ppl will help

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 29 Dec 2016, 00:18

not a bad idea actually.

the first project we had to do way back in 1999 with either lightwave or max was to model a room :)