Saving SoftImage

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Shredder565

Saving SoftImage

Post by Shredder565 » 04 Nov 2016, 18:33

Is there any hope that some other company like Google could buy it?

There really is NO reason why Autodesk can't just leave it for sale in a static never changing state. it would cost them literally nothing to keep up for download and sale.
And we've already seen on here that people are not willing to reward them buy buying their other packages.

sigh.

i knew it was doom when the sale happens because autodesk means death and destruction as far as i'm concerned..

Bullit

Re: Saving SoftImage

Post by Bullit » 05 Nov 2016, 02:07

Have you been smoking something or drunk?

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 05 Nov 2016, 07:32

Bullit wrote:Have you been smoking something or drunk?
Sorry, Bullit, but I find that a rather inappropriate comment, although I understand the underlying sentiment. ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 05 Nov 2016, 15:26

i guess it's my lot in life to get all the nasty or crazy replies.

what's wrong with a little reuful wishful thinking?

rray

Post by rray » 05 Nov 2016, 16:01

Nothing, agreed, before posting snide remarks please remember this is still a public forum not direct conversation.

Shredder565, I would say there's no hope - it's not possible to realize the quality of a software like this without having worked with it for years. And I guess no one at google or any possible other investor with enough money has.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 05 Nov 2016, 16:03

Apologies, i should have put a smile in that.

Draise

Post by Draise » 05 Nov 2016, 17:13

I had this similar sentiment happen in the trueSpace forum when Microsoft bought it, when they released it free and stopped continueing it. In that regard I give kudos for Microsoft for.. being dirty and aquiring it's tech in the software - but atleast a little nice about leaving it free to the public legally after doing so.

Some people tried contacting Microsoft to purchase the rights and code to continue developing it. But by the time they could (6 years later was it?) Microsoft had no recollection of the software or they just didn't know who to talk to to aquire it. The founder Roman Ormandy moved on to other things and wasn't even associated with Microsoft anymore.

But the forums are still somewhat.. not dead and sometimes a couple of developers makes new things which.. is still surprising for a software that died in 2009... though recently the forums were drastically hacked - but recovered.

So... I personally believe that any game, software or mod should in turn always be kept alive and well throughout the digital history record long after EOL - be it through digital museums or public "libraries" of software "books" that have been written sometimes "millenia" ago available for public domain - and all held together by a community that work on the preservation of it all with updates, development, community.

But due to legalities in the terms and conditions in SI, it is debatable that someone may get sued for keeping it alive and available to the public years from now...

But I do think it's a human right to have access and use of historical methods and "books" like software long after it's EOL. I just think law needs to adjust to the "public domain" period to be much smaller for digital products (as the scape evolves way too quickly for it to still be useful 100 years from now).